TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

12V battery warning and software update

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by volkerbradley, May 2, 2019.

1. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

One month ago a message appeared in my Model X that stated: 12V Battery Needs Service. Replace 12V battery soon.
    New England Tesla Mobile Service notified me that these 12V batteries are on back order. Tesla Service in Dedham, MA informed me that they do not have these batteries either.
    Does anyone know how long I can continue to drive my car confidently with such battery status? Am I at risk of getting stranded when I am on an extended trip?
    Are these batteries really on back order everywhere?
    Lastly, since this message has appeared, I cannot perform a software upgrade. Does the software upgrade rely on a well functioning 12V battery?
    Thanks.

2. hcdavis3

hcdavis3 HCD3

ik
    Mine was replaced when I took it to Dedham SC. Granted it’s a 3, but SA said there’s a service bulletin on the the 3s and now it looks like Xs are up next. Sucks that you can’t upgrade firmware.

3. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Typically software updates do require stability, it could cause a memory corruption issue if the 12volt died during the update, this could be a giant hassle.

If really concerned you could keep a jumper pack in the trunk and familiarize yourself with manually opening the frunk power free and how to jump the car.

If in your position I might try one of the smart 12volt chargers with a "repair" cycle. Wouldn't buy one for the purpose but I have a NoCo genius I bought for maintaining the AGM cranking battery in my last seasonal car.

4. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Yipes. I would not go on an extended trip based on my experience. FYI, when I got this message early last year, the car was completely dead within 5 days before they could get to my house to replace it. My car is a MX. Once I called to tell them the car was dead, they were out the next morning to replace the battery and bring it back to life. No problem since that time.

5. Floridaman

Floridaman Member

My 2017 MX has been in service for 1 1/2 years with 25k miles and the 12 v battery suffered a sudden death. No warning or advisory. It just died. Fortunately I had just left my home so the Service Center sent a truck. He got it on the truck and the service center replaced the battery. Glad I wasn't on the road.