TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

12V Battery warning just came up with very bad timing - how long do I have?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by redox, Feb 10, 2019.

1. redox

redox Member

Hi,

I'm up in Tahoe (Incline Village, NV actually, walking distance from Diamond Peak's resort) and we got a good snow storm that made things very difficult around the area. That part is not that bad, except that the 12V warning just came up this morning, and I can't figure out the level of urgency that it carries.

I'm going back down to the valley on Wednesday, and I don't know if it will hold until then or if I should absolutely figure out a way to get it replaced. It's my first 12V on my 2014 P85D (~25kMiles) so perhaps it's due for a change, but the 4 year maintenance I did about a month and a half ago didn't detect any problem with it.

It's been quite cold and I imagine this has an impact on the "reading of the battery", but at any rate, I wonder if there is anything I can do to keep it alive until I get to a less remote area.

Lucky me, the warranty expired about a month ago too, so whatever happens now is on my dime. If the battery were to fail up here, what would my options be? Emergency Roadside Assistance? Ranger?

Should I proactively try to find a shop that can put in a new 12V battery? I'm not even sure just any shop can do it - I have a feeling that it's a "Tesla thing".

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Call Tesla

3. redox

redox Member

Just did, but they are closed (it's Sunday). I called the Rocklin service center. Is there a "better" number to call?

I'm also in line (#3) for the support chat so I can hopefully talk to a person.

4. redox

redox Member

Update: got a tech on the support chat. She was quite helpful and told me my car was fine now, that it probably triggered because it went under 14V, but that I would not get stranded as I was supposed to have at least 2 weeks of "battery juice".

Let's hope she's right!

• Love x 1
  5. rooter

rooter Member

#5 rooter, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    It's a deep-cycle AGM, not your typical cranking-amp car battery.

It is time for your battery to be sulphated up. If it were me I'd buy a good charger that can regen a battery if this comes up again before you leave.

Then buy a lithium-iron (LiFePO4) when you get home. Expensive but many benefits, and 10x the life. I bought one from Bioenno 2 years ago, a 50AH rather than the stock 35AH. I had to make a custom stainless strap since it's thicker, but the peace of mind is worth it.

• Informative x 1
  6. iTech

iTech Member

The threshold isn't 14V, but it dipped below the threshold just long enough for the computer to mark the battery as a "failure" unfortunately. I have a 12V service being done today as well due to last week's temperature dip. Given the age of the battery, yours might actually be failing though so I would try to get it replaced within a week or two.

7. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Touch the T logo at the top centre of your screen and the contact number is at the bottom under the pic of your car

• Informative x 1
  8. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

You also have the option of buying one that is a direct fit in your vehicle without any modifications, there is at least one option out there for that, which is Ohmmu (www.ohmmu.com).

9. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Same thing happened to me coming from Tahoe last year. I used the car for a month before I had it replaced. The cold affects the battery and it was enough to tip the scale a bit earlier.

One thing to note: You will not be able to receive any updates until you get the battery replaced. They will download and fail to install. Once the battery triggers an error on the car it will not update until this is cleared.

BTW a mobile tech can/will probably replace your battery if you are having Tesla do it under warranty.

10. redox

redox Member

Lucky me, the warranty expired about a month ago. That's also when I did the 4 year service and everything checked out fine.

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

You should have gone to Tahoe before then.:D

• Funny x 1
  12. iTech

iTech Member

That's not true. I was able to receive and install an update while I had the 12V service warning.

13. Veggen

Veggen Member

You will most likely be just fine.
    I went from April last year to January this year with a 12V warning without any issue at all except not being able to update the firmware.

14. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

So, these OHMMU batteries are totally compatible with Telsa's? Is the factory battery in a Tesla lead-acid, or Li-Ion??

15. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    If you do your own install, is there a requirement that you have to tell the car computer that you had changed out the battery? if so, how is that conducted?

16. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

My mobile service tech who replaced my battery a few weeks ago said you could drive with that warning for 5 to 6 weeks without concern.

17. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

Did you see the price of them? :eek:

18. iTech

iTech Member

I believe you only have to do that for the pre-refresh models.

19. rooter

rooter Member

I didn't. Although I could have as I have root. Bioenno's batteries are drop-in replacements for AGM.

And I only had to make a new strap as I'd bought such a larger capacity.

20. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Yes; I’m assuming they will last much longer