Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a warranty on the 12 volt battery if replaced? The original started to die 4 years in (bought 12/2015, battery near death 2/2019) and is now already giving the warning less than a year later! I tried to call the service center but now they don’t pick up! Forced me to go straight to mobile service.

Is there a warranty on the 12 volt battery if replaced? The original started to die 4 years in (bought 12/2015, battery near death 2/2019) and is now already giving the warning less than a year later! I tried to call the service center but now they don’t pick up! Forced me to go straight to mobile service.

My original was replaced as a side effect of another failure - the mobile service guy let it run down. Then, he decided it had to be towed back to the shop. All the while, the high voltage battery was disabled, so the 12v was destroyed. My cost to repair. :-( I figured I was due so didn't complain. But, 4 months later, I got the 12v battery warning. When I created the service request, I mentioned the battery was only 4 months old and asked for warranty. Mobile guy showed up and replaced it at no charge to me.

Probably good for a year as replacement. However, don't listen to anyone but Tesla. You can submit the question as an issue with your battery via a service request on your Tesla app. They will be able to use your VIN and look up your service history and give you and answer that takes into account your car's history.

Reactions: aerodyne
We bought our used 2013 MS 85 in January 2019 with 60K miles on it. We recently had the car in for service and the logs called for a replacement of the drive unit and HV contactors. They also replaced the HVAC drain hose and 12V battery while they were at it. The 12V battery would regularly read out 12,8V from the accessory. I assume the SC either wanted to cover all their bases or perhaps bad HV contactors called for a 12V replacement.

I would assume more 12V batteries have at least a 2-year warranty; I've never seen any with less than 2 years.

Its not uncommon for SC to replace the drive unit and HV battery or contactors when they spot one that has not already had that work done. That's one of the best things about Tesla. They will take those actions to fix your car before it needs the fix (on the side of the road). I admire their proactive efforts. Of course, you get a refurbished unit/battery, not new. But its using new tech. That's a real plus.

Does anyone know about the lithium 12V battery that is offered by a 3rd party? My Model S gave me "replace 12v battery soon" error today. I called for service and could not talk to a human, no matter what I tried. Then, I finally signed up for mobile service replacement but it won't be for two weeks and I have a big trip scheduled one week from today. Again, there's nobody to talk to. So I thought I might try replacing it myself with a lithium replacement that should last 10 or more years. Any comments?

Hey you Old Goat !!!. (I'm sorry, don't mean to offend. But how often does one get to say that to someone?)

Did you know that message is by purpose an alert that Tesla programs you car to send at least 3 weeks before it should be replaced?
Yep, you have weeks. My two cents is you are better off with a Tesla supplied battery and I believe you will be okay even 3 weeks+ out before replacement. And you are in Florida. I doubt the cold weather will interfere with weakened operation. Just my guess.

I've seen people here report that they had to pay for the replacement (out of warranty) and the cost was $200ish.
I've seen a couple of post but I think it was on the Tesla Model S forum, not here, that there is a company in Phoenix, AZ that sells a Tesla replacement battery. https://www.ohmmu.com/ I recall the price being $419. And that's no including installation.

Hope you find this useful in exchange for forgive me for my opening salvo. :)

Last edited:
Did you know that message is by purpose an alert that Tesla programs you car to send at least 3 weeks before it should be replaced?
Yep, you have weeks. My two cents is you are better off with a Tesla supplied battery and I believe you will be okay even 3 weeks+ out before replacement. And you are in Florida. I doubt the cold weather will interfere with weakened operation. Just my guess.

Do not assume the battery will last for weeks.

Location of the vehicle may be a factor for battery life. Last year I was in the Washington DC area in the middle of winter when the temperatures were in the 20s. I got into my car in the morning and received the 12 volt battery service message. I called the service center, they did a remote check and instructed me to bring the car in immediately for a battery replacement.

My model 3, located in Florida, just turned 2 years old two weeks ago when it displayed the 12 volt service message. Called the 800 phone number. Tesla did remote diagnostics and said not to worry, the battery will be good for at least a month and they will send out a mobile tech person 5 days from when the phone call was made. You can guess what happened. The next day when Trying to get into the car, the window did not lower when opening the door, so the glass hit the trim upon closing the door. Drove the car a few miles, parked the car and returned a short time later. Car was dead. It would not unlock, the touchscreen would not turn on and the mobile app could not connect to the car. Tesla could not access the car and called for a tow trunk to take the vehicle to service. While waiting for the tow truck to show up, the car woke up. Drove it home and plugged in the HPWC charger. The next morning the car was unresponsive again. Tesla sent a tow truck to the house to get the car, but the operator was unable to unplug the charger plug from the charge port. He thus left, saying Tesla was going to have to send a technician to the house to break into the trunk to release the charge plug from the charge port using the release inside the trunk. While waiting for the technician to arrive, the car powered up. Immediately disconnected the charger and drove the car to the service center (19 mile drive). Service determined all the problems were related to the 12 volt battery. They replaced the battery and everything is operating normally again.

So, when the battery service message appears, I would not delay in replacing the battery.

My model 3 battery 13 mos 40,000 miles just got charged by a tow truck operator due to traction battery being at 0 miles (just to prevent going rock bottom and not being able to open the charge port), and got the message needs to be replaced soon and no software updates will install until it is. But my multimeter reads 14.0 volts. Any chance I could reset the car or disconnect the battery and be good to go ;-)?

By taking the HV pack below 20%, this does not allow the 12v to be charged.

The 14v is only because you are in the car and the 12v is being charged by the HV pack.

My guess is that you won't see the message for a while. If you do, the 12v is covered by the 4yr warranty.

By taking the HV pack below 20%, this does not allow the 12v to be charged.

The 14v is only because you are in the car and the 12v is being charged by the HV pack.

My guess is that you won't see the message for a while. If you do, the 12v is covered by the 4yr warranty.

I thought so too.. I brought my CPO model x in and the service center says NOPE... Accessory battery is a normal wear item and is NOT COVERED by the warranty. It's not in the warranty agreement anywhere , ??

• Informative
Reactions: rafacq
I thought so too.. I brought my CPO model x in and the service center says NOPE... Accessory battery is a normal wear item and is NOT COVERED by the warranty. It's not in the warranty agreement anywhere , ??

I would ask another SC. If you are under the Tesla used 4 year 50k warranty it should be covered. I know mine was replaced under warranty.

Unless it is excluded it won't be specifically mentioned in the warranty, like tires and brakes.

I just did mine again. They wanted Mobile to come out, I just bought a new batt and did it myself.

Reactions: rafacq
Hey you Old Goat !!!. (I'm sorry, don't mean to offend. But how often does one get to say that to someone?)

I've seen people here report that they had to pay for the replacement (out of warranty) and the cost was $200ish.
I've seen a couple of post but I think it was on the Tesla Model S forum, not here, that there is a company in Phoenix, AZ that sells a Tesla replacement battery. https://www.ohmmu.com/ I recall the price being $419. And that's no including installation.

Hope you find this useful in exchange for forgive me for my opening salvo. :)

This is a year later, but I thought to chip in and tell you guys, my 2015 S85D just showed the 12v battery alert last Monday 2/1/2021. I scheduled an appointment through the Tesla app and was given a Friday appointment. Then Tuesday got a call from Tesla stating they had an opening for Wednesday which I accepted. Tesla Mobile Ranger arrived as scheduled and replaced the battery in under 30 minutes. Battery issue resolved in less than 48 hours!

I would ask another SC. If you are under the Tesla used 4 year 50k warranty it should be covered. I know mine was replaced under warranty.

Unless it is excluded it won't be specifically mentioned in the warranty, like tires and brakes.

I just did mine again. They wanted Mobile to come out, I just bought a new batt and did it myself.

The 12v battery alert just came on in my 2015 S85D CPO bought from Tesla in April 2019. I asked if it was covered under my warranty and they said it is a wearable item and not covered by the used car 4 year/50K warranty. They charged me $237.11 to replace. Did it in less than 48 hours.

Although it would have been nice, I really did not expect the 6 year old battery to be covered by warranty.

TESLA warranty says Battery coverage is for 8 years or 100k miles whichever comes first. I assume it includes the 12 v battery too. Anyway looks like my T3 12V battery died and I could not even unlock the car today. So they sent a tow truck, he charged the 12 v battery but still no go. He towed it to the service center (luckily i have one in my town) and waiting to hear from them.

TESLA warranty says Battery coverage is for 8 years or 100k miles whichever comes first. I assume it includes the 12 v battery too. Anyway looks like my T3 12V battery died and I could not even unlock the car today. So they sent a tow truck, he charged the 12 v battery but still no go. He towed it to the service center (luckily i have one in my town) and waiting to hear from them.
Sorry to say, the 12v is not part of the power train warranty. It is covered by the general warranty, which may have expired.

Of all the things that could fail out of warranty, the 12v is the least problematic. You can do it yourself on a dual motor MS, batt is like only 120 bucks.

The 12v battery alert just came on in my 2015 S85D CPO bought from Tesla in April 2019. I asked if it was covered under my warranty and they said it is a wearable item and not covered by the used car 4 year/50K warranty. They charged me $237.11 to replace. Did it in less than 48 hours.

Although it would have been nice, I really did not expect the 6 year old battery to be covered by warranty.
That's not true. The 12v is covered under the CPO warranty, at least on my car.