Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have bought a Ctek battery monitor to keep an eye on my 12v battery.

It has Fork connectors when hooking it up do you think it is necessary to disconnect the main battery loop and if so will that cause any issues ?

I was hoping to loosen the terminals slightly and fit it that way but was worried incase they momentarily discoonect the 12v is that a big issue ?

So you know the car will tell you weeks in advance when you need to change the battery right? But to answer your question, most battery connectors are so tightly connected to the battery that one often needs a puller to get them off!

But if you want to be ultra safe power off the car (Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off), wait a few minutes then pull the main battery loop. When you are done just reverse the process.

Thanks for the advice - I am probably being a bit paranoid as read some posts about 12v battery failure and as my car is 3.5 years old (but new to me) I don't know the history of replacement but an assuming it is on its original battery. Perhaps it is wiser to schedule a replacemnt now anyway ?

My car didn't tell me when the 12 volt battery needed to be replaced. At 5 years there had been no notification. However the 12 volt battery was being recharged about 8 times a day. It was 4 times a day when new. How do I know? I monitored the 12 volt battery with a recording oscilloscope while parked in my garage for 24 hours. The "vampire" drain had increased a lot because of the charging.