Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the multiple lockdowns, does the community charge their 12v battery while the car is sitting idle? I use a ctek for my ICE cars, wondering if this is applicable to M3? any specific procedure to follow?

The Main Battery keeps the 12V Battery charged through the DC-DC Charger built into the car. I believe this only stops occurring under a certain battery percentage (likely to be around 10-20% or so).

Keep the Car charged at a reasonable level and its not an issue at all.

Yes, at least with the Model 3 you just need to leave it plugged in - it'll keep the main battery topped up from the charger, and the 12V topped up from the main battery.

The Model S - at least older ones - didn't seem to work that way and it was possible for the 12V to go flat if left for a long period, even plugged in.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Yes, at least with the Model 3 you just need to leave it plugged in - it'll keep the main battery topped up from the charger, and the 12V topped up from the main battery.

The Model S - at least older ones - didn't seem to work that way and it was possible for the 12V to go flat if left for a long period, even plugged in.
Originally I think that was the Cafz but they changed that In a Firmware update to keep the batteries topped up more in Model S now also...

Reactions: cafz and hcdavis3

Thats how the original model S was supposed to work, but a combination of random dud 12v batteries and questionable software made it a bit hit and miss. I was one of the lucky ones that seemed to always have my 12v charging well, and yet when I replaced that early car with a new model S the battery had to be replaced the week I recieved it. No issues since though, and I do nothing other than plug it in.