Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v connector location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that are looking for easy 12v to get to, here are pic's of right side of console by floor.
Remove forward front right console trim, remove front right plastic cover. Reach hand under and pull connector down. This is the connector that goes to the 12v accy outlet in the console (there is another different connector but it is for the USB ports). It is alot easier to tap into it here than trying to get to the back of the accy outlet. I just removed pins from plug and soldered extra set of wires and reinstalled pins.
Better would be an inline connector with extra wires, so it would be plug and play, but I couldn't find one.

...and why - I needed 12v to power inductive charger I put in the underdash cubby for wife's iphone :)

p1.JPG
p2.JPG
p3.JPG
p4.JPG

Thanks for the info. How did you get the console trim off? Would love a video, but as you've already taken it apart (and presumably put back together), a more detailed explanation would be appreciated.

How did you splice into the 12v connector?

Lastly, I presume you figured out which cable was for which by disconnecting one and seeing if the respective port was disconnected?

Take anything else apart on the console portion? I'd like to get more access to the back of the center console screen.

Thanks!

The trim is just clip on, just pull the leather off, the plastic underneath needs to be pulled from the bottom. It is a little stubborn, I bought plastic trim tools after - since I know I will be doing more later :)
For splice, I would think that using wire taps would be easiest, I actually took plugs apart and removed pins and soldered wire directly to the pins before re-assembling.
This is the 12v - on passenger side, used multimeter to find + and -
Haven't got to screen yet, hope sometime...

Ohh, okay. Link to the tool. Just curious as to whether it's an up motion or an "out and up" motion.

As for the soldering, yeah I get that because that's what I'll do too. Spliced connections are a no-no for me on this.
If there is enough slack, I may switch out the connector for my own as I want to add a connector for flexibility.

Thanks. Post more pics of you do open it again.

I did it without tool, just with my hands - but here's the link to one I bought, and they have others too
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

The leather trim piece just pulls off, start from front, the plastic underneath has to be pulled from the bottom - it will make sense as you do it. All just held on by clips.
I'm no professional auto mechanic, so if I can do it then it must be easy.