TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

12V constant power using OBDII USB Adapter

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by shanelord, May 14, 2018.

1. shanelord

shanelord Member

39A881F4-0A45-4B43-A762-8641ABCF2172.jpeg So I wanted to get my Telstra WiFi Hotspot USB stick working in my car, and keep it running even with the car off so my Blackvue Cloud could work in parking mode.

Tried a few options but thought I’d share the best one I’ve found.

It uses the constant 12V power available via the OBDII port of the car. Perfectly designed to fit discretely and not get in the way. Also has inbuilt fuse for added protection.

Can’t find them here in Australia but they are the Kable Hi5 Adapter. For the Model S, if you want the USB port facing towards the front of the car get the right angle version (which is what I got - USB stick is hidden nicely). If you want the USB facing towards the drivers seat get the left angle one.

Link to the right angle via a supplier is here: Products

Hope this helps someone else. Easier than wiring in.

Shane.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

My console USB ports seem to be always on anyway. I have a phone powerbank I leave plugged in and it charges even when car is off.
    I would still get this to make it more discrete if I get a hotspot.
    I wonder if the odb can power something more powerful, like a mini fridge?

3. powerfactor

powerfactor Member

4-5A seems to be the numbers appearing around the internet, 5a x 13.8v = 69w (fridge is a bad idea)

I do exactly this, with this guy (https://www.idgcdn.com.au/products/image/11893/angle/8/614x480/179779/) connected to one of the console USB ports. It fits neatly, gets constant power and has only needed one reboot in about 4 months.

• Like x 1
  4. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

One thing I’ve read is that any current draw from OBD2 will prevent Software Updates from being downloaded.

I have a device attached to the OBD2 port & have received updates but it is a LELink BLE that draws zero when not in use.

5. shanelord

shanelord Member

I had it plugged in and running and latest software update came down ok. Maybe they’ve fixed it or this adapter doesn’t impact it?

Shane.

6. Mbabs1

Mbabs1 New Member

Telstra Prepaid 4GX Broadband USB & Wi-Fi Plus - E8372

Was $19 from target plugs into usb works perfectly with constant power