Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V constant power using OBDII USB Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
39A881F4-0A45-4B43-A762-8641ABCF2172.jpeg
So I wanted to get my Telstra WiFi Hotspot USB stick working in my car, and keep it running even with the car off so my Blackvue Cloud could work in parking mode.

Tried a few options but thought I’d share the best one I’ve found.

It uses the constant 12V power available via the OBDII port of the car. Perfectly designed to fit discretely and not get in the way. Also has inbuilt fuse for added protection.

Can’t find them here in Australia but they are the Kable Hi5 Adapter. For the Model S, if you want the USB port facing towards the front of the car get the right angle version (which is what I got - USB stick is hidden nicely). If you want the USB facing towards the drivers seat get the left angle one.

Link to the right angle via a supplier is here: Products

Hope this helps someone else. Easier than wiring in.

Shane.

My console USB ports seem to be always on anyway. I have a phone powerbank I leave plugged in and it charges even when car is off.
I would still get this to make it more discrete if I get a hotspot.
I wonder if the odb can power something more powerful, like a mini fridge?

I wonder if the odb can power something more powerful, like a mini fridge?
4-5A seems to be the numbers appearing around the internet, 5a x 13.8v = 69w (fridge is a bad idea)

View attachment 301022 So I wanted to get my Telstra WiFi Hotspot USB stick working in my car, and keep it running even with the car off so my Blackvue Cloud could work in parking mode.

I do exactly this, with this guy (https://www.idgcdn.com.au/products/image/11893/angle/8/614x480/179779/) connected to one of the console USB ports. It fits neatly, gets constant power and has only needed one reboot in about 4 months.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
One thing I’ve read is that any current draw from OBD2 will prevent Software Updates from being downloaded.

I have a device attached to the OBD2 port & have received updates but it is a LELink BLE that draws zero when not in use.

One thing I’ve read is that any current draw from OBD2 will prevent Software Updates from being downloaded.

I have a device attached to the OBD2 port & have received updates but it is a LELink BLE that draws zero when not in use.

I had it plugged in and running and latest software update came down ok. Maybe they’ve fixed it or this adapter doesn’t impact it?

Shane.