Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v emergency replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery warning popped up, 2014 S, 12v shows 12.45 when mcu is powered down. I'm working in eastern NC til August and need to order a replacement.

Electrified Garage doesn't have the adapter needed to use theirs.

Gotta avoid the software update.

Hoping to stay with a cheap battery until I can get to a tech.

All suggestions appreciated.

@NewbyMaybe - I shopped around for a 12 V replacment when my orginal was 5.5 years old [Fall 2020]. Only Tesla had an exact physical replacement, but other batteries are available using a post adapter. Tesla was the best deal however. They sent a ranger to my home and installed a new 12 V for less than $200. The ranger did use his laptop to update “software,” or maybe just a configuration file, due to minor internal differences in the replacement battery. Updating to the latest software version may not be necessary. If you don’t know for sure, I suggest setting up a service appointment with instructions to install a new battery, but not update software, and see what Tesla’s response is. Good Luck!😀

GSP

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
Based on my experience, the battery should last a week or two, in case that makes any difference. Mine was 5+ years old when I got the warning message, and it was still working two weeks later when the tech arrived. It was winter, too, which may make a difference.
Will tesla mobile service come to where you are? That is how mine was done.
Good luck!

Trying to find one with same dimensions. If the posts are opposite then I'll put it in with them on the passenger side, the positive will remain in the back which will be safer.
Also the hold down/fuse box will fit better if the size matches.

i struggled with this when mine basically was dead. and Tesla changed mfg's and had NONE on hand with a multi month wait. I didnt end up having to do this BUT you can just create jumper cables probably 8AWG and flipflop polarity to the top fuse panel. you'll need to obviously leave it off the battery and isolate it somehow and secure it, but thats kinda the only way to make this work. you could also maybe tape/rubber grommet the poles but jump the wires around it

Battery swaps are done by Ranger, not a trip to the SC, so I’d suggest requesting via the app first and if they say you’re too far away, then worry about alternatives. You could shell out the $$ for an Ohmmu as well. They’d def deliver to you.

I chickened out because of the cranny they put it in and the chance that improvising could lead to not being able to access the frunk. Ordered the ohmmu.
Now I'm wondering if the battery (black/grey) installed by Tesla 18ish months ago and the ohmmu will swap easy. Ordered the lugs just in case.

I chickened out because of the cranny they put it in and the chance that improvising could lead to not being able to access the frunk. Ordered the ohmmu.
Now I'm wondering if the battery (black/grey) installed by Tesla 18ish months ago and the ohmmu will swap easy.
ive done alot of self repair on my car. by far the WORST thing ive ever done is remove my 12v from my 2013 base model S. It was the most knuckle busting piece of work and i almost put it back together and called it quits to tow somewhere. i hated every Fing second of it

ive done alot of self repair on my car. by far the WORST thing ive ever done is remove my 12v from my 2013 base model S. It was the most knuckle busting piece of work and i almost put it back together and called it quits to tow somewhere. i hated every Fing second of it

For me, fixing a door handle was way worse than changing the battery. It really helps to use a vice grip set of pliers on one of the battery terminal for something to grab onto to get it out. Then it's a matter of turning it the right way to get it out.

For me, fixing a door handle was way worse than changing the battery. It really helps to use a vice grip set of pliers on one of the battery terminal for something to grab onto to get it out. Then it's a matter of turning it the right way to get it out.
The early cars had the battery under the passenger side cowl, beneath the air filter, by the fireman’s loop. Super cramped and PITA to R&R the battery. Current location much much easier access and room to lift/lower.

The thread about summarizes my experience when my 12v was giving warnings. I procrastinated and procrastinated hunting around for a drop in replacement. Mine, fortunately, was the revised location (2015 85D) which meant a few bolts are all that stood between me and removing the frunk liner to access the battery. It hurt internally that I had to call in for service because I could not find a replacement. Then again, anything that was a close replacement was about $150 anyway.

Finally got over my "I can fix this myself and save money" mentality and setup a mobile service appointment (after weeks and the car started exhibiting charging issues) and in less than 2 days the ranger showed up, swapped the battery, did some update/checking with his laptop, and then left. $175ish, IIRC, and it was taken care of in my own driveway without me having to do anything but pull the car out of the garage (super convenient as I'm working from home).

Definitely worth setting up a mobile service appointment if they can get out to you. My nearest service center is a bit over an hour away and they have mobile rangers in my area frequently.