Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v issue, error comes several hour after replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

IndiGoo

Aug 10, 2022
Kyiv
Hello!
Have a M3 DM 2020.

There is a problem, some weeks ago 12v errors appeared and I have replaced the battery (with proper car reboot).

But the three 12v error codes appeared after several hours again, with battery voltage about 12.5-12.8V. I recharge the battery to get 14.6V, install it to the car, reconnect big battery and the errors disappears just for some hours and always comes back.

Any thoughts?

12 volt battery needs to be at least 33ah rating. Factory battery is 45ah. Get a different 12 volt battery try again. Follow the procedure for replacement which includes temporarily disconnecting the HV battery from under the rear seat.

10 mm socket wrench needed.

Procedure:
1. Open frunk, driver door and right rear passenger door and leave open.
2. On screen touch car symbol, select safety, power off - wait 5 minutes until all power indications off (I look to footwell lights to go off).
3. Remove cover in Frunk and intake shroud to access battery.
4. Remove NEGATIVE (black) terminal. Gloves suggested.
5. Under right rear passenger seat, where seat meets carpet, feel for latch release that slides sideways. Move sideways and life seat cushion.
6. You will see styrofoam black HV battery cover. Remove Cover.
7. HV battery terminal has a gray plug. Move latch down and too the right. This will slightly lift plug off battery. Gentle pressure back and forth on plug should remove it.
8. Disconnect Positive terminal (Red)
9. Remove clamp and remove battery.
10. Install new battery in reverse order. An automotive battery 51R or a DiehardEV B24L will also work.

Once you connect the negative terminal car may reboot. If not, step on brake to wake up reboot will take a minute or so. Usually no messages after install.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scelto