Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v LiIon Battery Reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I am trying to get to install the auto frunk on my Model Y and was trying to connect the 12v battery. The new 12v LiIon battery does not have a terminal on the battery itself to tap into but a post/bolt above it. While trying to measure the bolt with a set a caliper the caliper slipped and I think shorted the battery for a slit second.

Checking with a multimeter I see the battery is not outputting any power and I can’t seem to find any sort of fuse on it. Any help on how to reset it would be appreciated.

Thanks Jcanoe,
Yes, I was thinking the same but don’t have access to jump the battery due to the way I parked it my garage. I did have a small RC grade mini battery that I tried to connect and the car powered on (I could hear various clicks) and was also able to open driver door (the window didn’t roll down). I think the battery was too small to provide enough juice.
Will pull out a battery from one of my other cars in the morning and try it out.

Thanks Jcanoe,
Yes, I was thinking the same but don’t have access to jump the battery due to the way I parked it my garage. I did have a small RC grade mini battery that I tried to connect and the car powered on (I could hear various clicks) and was also able to open driver door (the window didn’t roll down). I think the battery was too small to provide enough juice.
Will pull out a battery from one of my other cars in the morning and try it out.
You need a 12V lithium jump starter. Try Autozone, or purchase online if you can wait for Amazon to deliver it.

Thanks I’ll try that. But wouldn’t those compact lithium jump starters also need to sense some voltage before powering on? This is the similar issue i ran into with my trickle charger as it does not see any voltage and therefore does not start charging.

Thanks I’ll try that. But wouldn’t those compact lithium jump starters also need to sense some voltage before powering on? This is the similar issue i ran into with my trickle charger as it does not see any voltage and therefore does not start charging.
I don't believe so. The jump starters I have used are fully protected against short circuiting the clamps, reversing the leads. Other than that you just plug the short cable terminating with the positive and negative clamps into the jump starter unit (can't be inserted the wrong way due to the molded plug), connect the clamps to the 12V battery terminals (battery positive terminal and the ground lug).

In the Tesla vehicle the jump starter should enable you to unlock the doors and the Tesla vehicle will power on when you open the driver's door. At that point 12V power is being provided by the power conversion system (PCS) DC-to-DC converter. Remove the jump starter clamps right away, don't leave the jump starter connected to the 12V battery terminals any longer than it takes to power on the Tesla vehicle.

Got it thanks! Will try that. So once the car powers up - do I need to do anything else other than disconnecting the jump starter?
Disconnect the cable with the clamps from the jump starter. Plug in the jump starter after use so it is fully charged for the next time you use it. Otherwise I just charge the unit every 4 or 5 months.

I don't leave the jump starter in the Tesla vehicle during the summer due the higher temperatures. I would bring the jump starter on a trip, take it inside with my luggage. If the 12V battery dies (hopefully unlikely scenario especially with the new lithium 12V) you need a 12V source to release the trunk latch mechanism using the leads behind the tow hitch cover.