Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V outlet - charging a laptop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are threads in the Model S/X forums about this, but anyone using the 12v socket on the Model 3 to charge a notebook computer, via an inverter? I've got a Surface Pro, and the power brick shows output rated at 5.8 amps. Also ordered a 12v portable inverter on Amazon for like $15.

There are threads in the Model S/X forums about this, but anyone using the 12v socket on the Model 3 to charge a notebook computer, via an inverter? I've got a Surface Pro, and the power brick shows output rated at 5.8 amps. Also ordered a 12v portable inverter on Amazon for like $15.

It's not the output of the Surface adapter that you need to look at, it's the Input (How much current it will need from the inverter). And then you determine how much it will pull from the inverter and then use that percentage to figure out how much the inverter will pull from the car.

It should be sufficient, I'm doing a very educated guess that it may need about 10A from the car. But then again, that's only when the Surface is pulling max current, which would be when the batter is its lowest.

IF, for some reason, it feels that you blow the fuse, unplug, wait a few minutes and plug in again. There are no fuses, it is a computer controlled MOSFET that will reset when you remove the load.