Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Power in the rear (trunk) THE RIGHT WAY | Model Y Performance (2022)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there everyone:

I'm a new owner of MYP22. I've been looking for a solution to find a clean way to tap 12v power in the trunk of my vehicle (my appliceation requires very little power ~2w).
I am looking to run power all the way out of the trunk to the license plate. I want to stress that I'm not looking to use traditional vampire taps or cut and splice any wires in the vehicle. I'm doing my best to find a place where I can create my own harness to splice power in a clean manner that can be removed later if needed.

After searching posts here quite heavily I did find the 12v accessory port in the rear of the car, and the connector that supplies power to it:
1660674961730.png
1660675135152.png
1660675154067.png

The issue is I don't know where to buy this connector and it's receptacle, or what part number I am looking for.

I've seen other instructive posts regarding installing a power liftgate on the MY, and I could reasonably pull power from the actual trunk using the body domain controller there. I don't know where to begin. I pulled down the trim so I could install an upgraded trunk light, giving me a good idea of the wiring going through the trunk. Is there a reasonable spot to tap power in the trunk? Am I lucky enough that someone knows the connector part numbers going to the controller box in the trunk just behind the license plate?

Am I going about this all wrong? Like I said I am trying to reach the rear license plate, so ideally I could find a 12v source that's good enough without even leaving the trunk.
If I don't have to do a long wire run all the way through that stupid rubber hose I'll be happy.

Thanks for the help!

I didn't know this, but it doesn't affect me. I have a voltage range of 8-16v. Cutting it a bit close, tho.

Good. That is close, though. There are a couple threads regarding inverters (etc.) that are supposed to work in that range that become fried or fuses that burst. The reviews of inverters (here) that do work OK are ongoing. All this has me rethinking some of my options and accessories like a tire inflator and also an inverter. Luckily there are power-drill shaped battery-powered tire inflators and the all-battery 120v camping power packs are getting cheaper by the day.

Reactions: 32bitsofGil
Good. That is close, though. There are a couple threads regarding inverters (etc.) that are supposed to work in that range that become fried or fuses that burst. The reviews of inverters (here) that do work OK are ongoing. All this has me rethinking some of my options and accessories like a tire inflator and also an inverter. Luckily there are power-drill shaped battery-powered tire inflators and the all-battery 120v camping power packs are getting cheaper by the day.
Haha I will jump in here and update if I blew my circuit. The inverter I'm installing I had designed and manufactured specifically for my purposes, but I spec'd the input range based on a normal lead acid voltage range. Didn't know the source was 15.5v in the Tesla newer models.

Do you have any data on the new votlage range? Sure if it starts charging the battery and goes above 16v I will get smoke.

Other question is.... if the source is 15.5v, does that also apply to the "12v" cigarrette lighter-style ports? Are these being stepped down and regulated?

Beware. Tesla tend to monitor all it's power drains. More than once things have gotten screwed up when the computer senses higher draw than designed from a circuit.

Modern EVs are not like old Buicks. Gotta be careful when you begin sucking current from a circuit.

Reactions: 32bitsofGil
Beware. Tesla tend to monitor all it's power drains. More than once things have gotten screwed up when the computer senses higher draw than designed from a circuit.

Modern EVs are not like old Buicks. Gotta be careful when you begin sucking current from a circuit.
Yes as i've heard they don't have fuseboxes and are constantly monitoring themselves across the low voltage. This is why I first jump to using the 12v accessory. I will be drawing so little power it honestly won't show up as more than a rounding error.