Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Socket Stops working after car is switched off and turned back on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm installing a blackvue dashcam to my 21 m3. The reason behind the install is the better quality video and reliability over the sentry. When I initially installed the dashcam I plugged it directly into the 12v socket under the front armrest and it worked fine. I came out this morning and it's no longer working. No power from the 12v socket? I did a reset and it works fine once more, until I lock and unlock the car and the problem returns, no power to the 12v socket.
I have no idea what the car is doing but seems really strange. Does anyone have any idea why it would be doing this?

I believe the user manual would explain that the 12V sockets are only active while the car is awake. Once it falls asleep, they are off. You can keep the car alive by activating Sentry mode, or smart summon. Know that even with Sentry, once your SOC goes under 20% it might turn off and the car might sleep.
I would suggest a nice portable battery that you plug your camera in and that battery charges from the 12V socket when the car is awake. Alternatively, some people have found ways to tap into the DC-DC converter that charges the 12V battery. You can search these forums for 12V threads.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
It does turn back on when the car wakes up. Unless you overload it and the e-fuse blows. To reset the e-fuse, you need to let the car sleep again. I believe the 12V sockets are good for 100w continuous, 150w short spikes, something like that. You should lookup the actual values.