Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v switched power for Radar Detector

For me it’s about a clean install where I can run wires out of sight. My radar detector sits right below my rear view mirror (Blendmount) so I run the power wire along the headliner, down the post to the driver’s side footwell. Getting to the 12v in the center console isn’t all that easy if you want to keep all the wires hidden.
True - the radar detector will shutoff after a period of activity for my brand it’s 1-4 hours. I wasn’t keen on this option - personal preference.
Finding the connector in the driver’s side footwell is a great solution for me - I’ll admit to being OCD so I know it maybe a bit much for other folks and not everyone will care about chasing this down.

What year is your S?
And did it switch off even with Sentry on?

I'm asking, because I am also seeking switched power even with Sentry on, for my 2018 S.

I can confirm the wire in passenger footwell provides power on brake and turns off when exit. On 22 Y . however…. Voltage is over 15v. This is going to burn up some detectors, i ordered regulator and will wire that up inbetween.

Most (all?) ICE cars when the engine is running driving its alternator, the "12V" output is at 15V or more. All 12V car electronics are designed to account for varying voltage. Nothing is going to burn up. don't worry.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
I can confirm the wire in passenger footwell provides power on brake and turns off when exit. On 22 Y . however…. Voltage is over 15v. This is going to burn up some detectors, i ordered regulator and will wire that up inbetween.

Most 12v is within a range which includes 15v. Double check. The V1 is rated to 36

Most (all?) ICE cars when the engine is running driving its alternator, the "12V" output is at 15V or more. All 12V car electronics are designed to account for varying voltage. Nothing is going to burn up. don't worry.

No, 15v is a precursor to something failing. Should be around 14.4v

• Funny
Reactions: Futaba

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
I assume that, in my case, where I do have a factory mounted tow bar on my M3, that plug is most likely already occupied ?
No Tesla comes with a brake controller installed. Just a plug that is ready for it as mentioned. You can tap into that one as noted in the OP. Mine still works to this day and I’m on latest update and don’t need to activate tow mode.

No Tesla comes with a brake controller installed. Just a plug that is ready for it as mentioned. You can tap into that one as noted in the OP. Mine still works to this day and I’m on latest update and don’t need to activate tow mode.
Awesome, I’m gonna give it a try. I’m adding lights to the fog light housing, so probably add a relai.

And just to be sure - when the car is “off”, is that plug always of, or does it "wake up" every now and then, ex if sentry mode kicks in?

Awesome, I’m gonna give it a try. I’m adding lights to the fog light housing, so probably add a relai.

And just to be sure - when the car is “off”, is that plug always of, or does it "wake up" every now and then, ex if sentry mode kicks in?

It's off unless you open one of the doors. You can also add a 12v switch to make sure it stays off when you want it to - which is what I did.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC