Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v switched power for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I followed a bunch of steps in this thread and also used a YouTube video for pulling off the mirror. I was able to run the wire for the Valentine 1 between the clip that hides the mirror mount and the mirror (there is a very tiny gap, but it is big enough). I confirmed that the Panamera blendmount works. It's a very nice install and has almost no wires exposed.

I did this on a 2021 Model Y
Any chance you can post some pictures of the Blendmount?

Any chance you can post some pictures of the Blendmount?

Here is from the passenger side (you can see the V1 wire snaking around
1641059547154.jpeg

Here is from the driver's side
1641059641159.jpeg

Front view
1641059700468.jpeg

Reactions: fr4c
What wire did you tap off of for the switched power?
I used the method that has been discussed in this thread. I.e., I got the pigtail connector and plugged that in (see post #43 for an excellent video of how to access that). I then connected the red wire of the Valentine 1 to the red wire of the pigtail connector. I connected the black ground wire to a big bolt that you will see on the 2nd panel that you take off in the video.

Post #22 in this thread has the part number to request at your service center. The service center I went to actually had it in stock. I got 2 in case I messed up the first try (it costs a little under $5).

BTW, to get the wire under the mirror panel (the big black thing above the mirror), I'm pretty sure you have to remove the mirror too, or at least, that's what I did. I'm not 100% sure it is necessary though. It's a Torx-20 bolt to remove the mirror and it's in there pretty tight. It was also a very tight fit to get the nose clip around the mirror stalk back on with the V1 wire running under it, but it does fit.

BTW, to get the wire under the mirror panel (the big black thing above the mirror), I'm pretty sure you have to remove the mirror too, or at least, that's what I did. I'm not 100% sure it is necessary though. It's a Torx-20 bolt to remove the mirror and it's in there pretty tight. It was also a very tight fit to get the nose clip around the mirror stalk back on with the V1 wire running under it, but it does fit.
Why do you need to get behind the mirror? The panel should run up to the A pillar No problem and then follow the headliner. Only two panels you have to remove to get the wiring up there. Curious mind would like to know!

So I see some folks connect red to red, and black to black on the harness. While others connected red to red, and then black from the radar hardwire to a ground bolt somewhere.

My question is, is the black wire on the Tesla harness a ground wire? It’s the only cable that is not labeled. Just hardwired my Uniden R7 in, with red-red and black-black, leaving the white and blue cabled unused. Everything seems to work correctly, just wasn’t 100% positive regarding the black wire since I see folks hooking it up both ways.

So I see some folks connect red to red, and black to black on the harness. While others connected red to red, and then black from the radar hardwire to a ground bolt somewhere.

My question is, is the black wire on the Tesla harness a ground wire? It’s the only cable that is not labeled. Just hardwired my Uniden R7 in, with red-red and black-black, leaving the white and blue cabled unused. Everything seems to work correctly, just wasn’t 100% positive regarding the black wire since I see folks hooking it up both ways.

I'm pretty sure it's a ground wire

Black is ground. I believe blue is a signal wire. Red is switched 12v.

You can connect black to black or black the ground. It doesn’t matter. The source of power is red and it is switched based on you being in the seat.

I can confirm that on the passenger side footwell of my model Y the red wire pictured below( I put green tape around it) is 12v switched source it only becomes live after the brake is engaged. There are 3 red wires in the that bundle one is wrapped with a blue(not that one) one of the other 2 will be it, its the bundles of wires that kind of comes down in a loop.
This is the money post right here. I watched several YT vids. I tried all kinds of red wires and nothing was switched. Also did not know what wire loom exactly as most YT vids just said it is "the one in the back". Well there are three "in the back".

This is the key. Their is only ONE that does a LOOP as mentioned by @Pics999. Also he describes it is NOT the one bigger red wrapped around a blue. That leaves three more. This switched red is ever so slightly a more fuschia red and if you look at the other two you will see what I mean. It even looks a little more pinkish in his pic. I never tried that one as I was only trying the typical bright red. Like I said it is only different if you have them all together. Also helped to remove a bit of the electrical tape with an exacto.

All works and we are radared up. Thanks.
IMG_0285.jpg

Reactions: Anish3232
This is the money post right here. I watched several YT vids. I tried all kinds of red wires and nothing was switched. Also did not know what wire loom exactly as most YT vids just said it is "the one in the back". Well there are three "in the back".

This is the key. Their is only ONE that does a LOOP as mentioned by @Pics999. Also he describes it is NOT the one bigger red wrapped around a blue. That leaves three more. This switched red is ever so slightly a more fuschia red and if you look at the other two you will see what I mean. It even looks a little more pinkish in his pic. I never tried that one as I was only trying the typical bright red. Like I said it is only different if you have them all together. Also helped to remove a bit of the electrical tape with an exacto.

All works and we are radared up. Thanks.
View attachment 772128
Im glad I could be of some help :)

I can confirm that blendmount for Porsche Panamera works well. Also, I can confirm that one of the red wires (not the one that twisted along with a blue one) in the passenger footwell (in the bundle that makes a LOOP) is a switchable 12v. If you are using a multimeter, please make sure somebody is helping you by sitting in the driver’s seat. It will only switch if somebody is in the seat and requires to press a brake pedal. Basically it turns on when you ready to drive and press a brake pedal and turns off when you get out of your drivers seat.

Used the same method and tapped into the red wire. It was intimidating at first trying to find the right bundle but once I located it (it was easy to find the correct red wire). Also found an easy ground spot by the self driving computer (very close to 12V location). The radar is measuring close to 14.9V from this location (probably due to the 15.5V lithium ion battery used in newer model Ys)

Attachments

• BBCAAAA4-63C0-43AD-8B26-8DD41C875171.jpeg
    BBCAAAA4-63C0-43AD-8B26-8DD41C875171.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 83FB2031-F055-42D7-8B27-08FA0AAD7052.jpeg
    83FB2031-F055-42D7-8B27-08FA0AAD7052.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 397
  • FEE4087F-906F-42C6-8FB2-D44B01DF6DC8.jpeg
    FEE4087F-906F-42C6-8FB2-D44B01DF6DC8.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 383
Reactions: goin2drt
Is the brake controller 12v actually switched? I had my multimeter hooked up to the 12v (red) and ground (black) wires off the brake controller harness on my X and never saw the voltage hit 0. Waited a good 45+ minutes before my Fluke shut itself off.

Used the same method and tapped into the red wire. It was intimidating at first trying to find the right bundle but once I located it (it was easy to find the correct red wire). Also found an easy ground spot by the self driving computer (very close to 12V location). The radar is measuring close to 14.9V from this location (probably due to the 15.5V lithium ion battery used in newer model Ys)
Any issues with the slightly higher voltage?

Reactions: Anish3232