Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Switched?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my model 3 yesterday.

Blue/white
LR Dual Motor
18in Aeros

Absolutely loving it!!

My first question is about the 12v. I have a Valentine 1 plugged in (for now until I hardwire) and it doesn’t seem to ever switch off. I’ve walked away and locked the doors and waited a few minutes to come back to the car to find it was still on. I looked thru the window...didn’t get close enough for the car to “see” me. Is the 12v still switched? Is there an easy way to test this? How long should it take for the 12v to turn off? Thanks everyone!

From page 21 Owner's Manual
"12V Power Socket Your Model 3 has a power socket located in the center console's rear compartment. Power is available whenever the touchscreen is powered on."

Nothing about it shutting off.

Yes, I read that too. Based on it saying that power is avail s when the screen is powered on, would imply that power isn't available when the screen is off. If this was the case, my V1 would power off when the screen goes off. That’s not happening. Any other thoughts?

Reactions: Ital
I've been trying to find a post about 12v switched over on the passenger footwell. I see a TON of posts about 12v on the driver's side, but can't find anything for the passenger side of the vehicle. I don't want to have to route all the way to the center console. Anyone successfully tapped a wire on the lower-right?

• Love
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Reactions: SammichLover
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seems to be the most relevant one.

Has anyone else noticed that starting with 16.2.1 VC_LEFT appears to not shut off anymore? At least not when charging at home. Everything is staying on all night for me now including my radar detector and amplifier.

I just went to the garage to verify that the amp was on all night. It was, and the amp was quite hot. I'm going to have to start turning off my amps breaker whenever I'm not driving.

Does anyone know of a workaround? Seems like a bug, but don't know if we can even file a bug considering that's not a port we're intended to use.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seems to be the most relevant one.

Has anyone else noticed that starting with 16.2.1 VC_LEFT appears to not shut off anymore? At least not when charging at home. Everything is staying on all night for me now including my radar detector and amplifier.

I just went to the garage to verify that the amp was on all night. It was, and the amp was quite hot. I'm going to have to start turning off my amps breaker whenever I'm not driving.

Does anyone know of a workaround? Seems like a bug, but don't know if we can even file a bug considering that's not a port we're intended to use.
This is why any sort of aftermarket or DIY wire tapping with Teslas can be trickty. You don't really know what under the hood changes they're doing with each software update.

To make sure your amp & radar detector turns off when you're not in the car, you're going to have wire in a physical switch.

still on 12.11.1 right now but ill report back when i get an update, I have some ambient lights and lc7i powered off it, for my amps im using signal sense turn on which would solve your problem depending on your set up

just woke up my car and its downloading it now so guess we will see

Last edited:
yea I see what you mean, Ill mess around with it more on my end tonight. Audio sense might work if you can use it but initially my amps stayed on till I unplugged the car and then stayed off when I plugged it back up. Otherwise at the very least going to need to relay off something else. going to be interesting to see how the penthouse cuts on and off right now mines staying on but it charged some and was on with the update so its got to condition the battery temp before it sleeps again.

Good point about the audio sense trigger. I do have that on my LC2i and I could use that for the amp, which is my biggest concern. Unfortunately it doesn't help for the laser module or radar detector.

I just keep wondering if this was an intentional change or an accidental one that might get rolled back.

Another option that's less elegant but might work could be hooking up a solid state relay to the ambient lighting circuit. We at least know ambient lights go out when you leave the car...

run a remote out off the LC2i up front to a relay in the kick is basically my quick fix. I think that wire off VC left gets power off the 12V so Id be careful it doesnt run down the 12V if the penthouse shuts off like it should, gonna test that tonight. also I not entirely sure the signal sense will work since mine was on when it shouldnt be but with how VC left was working power was getting cut to force it off.

so signal sense should be fine. Car finally went to sleep and the VC_Left power seems to at least mimic the penthouse/power outlets, since it did turn off when the penthouse shut down. my amps shut down a few seconds after walk away lock set. Only thing I can think of that would at least stay somewhat consistent would be trying to find power for the main display aside from maybe power steering or something like that. Open to any ideas to test

Yeah, I do have a wire run all the way to the back for remote on. I could disconnect that up front and connect it to the GTO (sense) in the back. Basically just reverse the circuit. And I could put that on a relay up front. But man, that really feels like a hack.

I did wake up this morning to find my radar detector off. So I guess it did finally go to sleep at some point last night. But I've checked several times this evening and it's still on.

I know he doesn't come around often, but I'd like to tag @Ingineer to see if he has any thoughts on this change to VC_LEFT. And where we might look for an alternative.

Yea, it only half solves the problem anyway from the sounds of it due to sentry possibility keeping the GTO circuit live. Any way i can think of off hand sounds like a hack or at least not 100% like a traditional accessory.

I just checked and maybe its possible to trigger off the center console lights power supply, just depends on how they are set up but they power on and off like the vcleft wire use to.

Last edited: