Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Switched?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to use the brown wire for the signal to my amp remote turn-on.

I asked myself if I really needed a relay there so I compared to electronic relay current consumption vs. amp remote

Electronic Relay: 12mA
Remonte: 14mA

I don't think I will put a relay on it for 2mA !

Attachments

• 20240323_090430.jpg
    20240323_090430.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 3
Sorry to disagree with @Idkorcare! But theoretically I think you might be OK. That brown wire is connected to a digital circuit that only supplies enough amperage to power LED lights. If you try to draw too much amperage on that wire it will trip the digital breaker (and will require a deep sleep to reset). It's not enough amperage to flip over some of the electro magnet relays people have tried, but it is enough amperage to trigger a Solid State Relay. Since remote turn-on requires very little amperage (similar to a SSR), I think you might be OK. You'll just have to try it and see. The relay will give you more safety in isolation and the ability to add more later, but if remote turn on is all you plan or need, you might be fine.

Let us know how it goes!
This is what I tested in the previous post (cannot edit ?)

I do not think that the brown wire requires a relay for amplifier remote turn-on with thoses values.