Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Switched?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe its possible to trigger off the center console lights

Hey, what do you mean by center console lights? I'm guessing you don't mean the footwells right? I'm trying to figure out what lights you're talking about. Someone in another forum mentioned maybe keying of when the touch screen powered up, but that would require access to a data signal I don't think we have access to. At least not without tapping the ODB data stream.

So Tesla recently started shipping cars with DLC3 ports (aka OBD II). They provide both switched and unswitched power for this, so hopefully it's a more reliable tap going forward.

Also, the premium audio amp in the right rear trunk has a 30A switched feed that comes from VCRight. I've tapped this for all kinds of things.
Any solution for the SR+? It doesn’t have this amp. Is it possible to tap this connection at VCRight?

Hey, what do you mean by center console lights? I'm guessing you don't mean the footwells right? I'm trying to figure out what lights you're talking about. Someone in another forum mentioned maybe keying of when the touch screen powered up, but that would require access to a data signal I don't think we have access to. At least not without tapping the ODB data stream.
Lights in the center console, open console door open light is on, close door its immediately off unless someone is in driver seat. A switch in the console or other console doors turn them off so it just depends on how the switch powered. But ingineer makes a good point if you have/had the factory sub id just get it there assuming sentry doesnt keep it on, ive got a SR+ so im going to look into the OBD plug wiring

So Tesla recently started shipping cars with DLC3 ports (aka OBD II). They provide both switched and unswitched power for this, so hopefully it's a more reliable tap going forward.

Also, the premium audio amp in the right rear trunk has a 30A switched feed that comes from VCRight. I've tapped this for all kinds of things.
Is that the small white, i think RJ45 plug, in the driver underdash?

For those that want to tap the high-current 30A feed for the audio amp, it can be tapped in the trunk (right rear) look for the silver box, and the wire is a fat red (3mm). It's also present at VCRight in the right kick panel on the large 6 pin connector. (X054) It's symmetrically opposite my tap of VCLeft.

X054.jpg

I was asked how much current this can handle. It really depends on how loud you pump the bass on the audio system. If you don't blast it to it's fullest potential, then it's probably safe to pull 20A from there. It's a super efficient class-D amp, so only at the extreme end of output will it peak 30A. If you never take it over level 8, you should be good. I've run both an electric cooler and small 300W inverter of this while jamming out and not had it trip out.

For those that want to tap the high-current 30A feed for the audio amp, it can be tapped in the trunk (right rear) look for the silver box, and the wire is a fat red (3mm). It's also present at VCRight in the right kick panel on the large 6 pin connector. (X054) It's symmetrically opposite my tap of VCLeft.

View attachment 547216

I was asked how much current this can handle. It really depends on how loud you pump the bass on the audio system. If you don't blast it to it's fullest potential, then it's probably safe to pull 20A from there. It's a super efficient class-D amp, so only at the extreme end of output will it peak 30A. If you never take it over level 8, you should be good. I've run both an electric cooler and small 300W inverter of this while jamming out and not had it trip out.
Does this spot on VCRight behave like VCLeft did prior to 16.2.1? Switched 12v that goes on and off with opening and closing the driver door? This radar detector install I found appears to be using the same circuit. The installer notes that this circuit is powered on more often than the center console 12v.
Reinstall Valentine One with V1Driver on a Model 3

Here's an official document describing it:
Smallpdf.com

If I was reading that correctly it sounds like those keep power on till the car sleeps. Mine isnt going to have that plug anyway.

NOTE: When the vehicle wakes up, Pin 3 (ACCESSORY_FEED_2) and Pin 16 (ACCESSORY_FEED_1) power on simultaneously. When the vehicle goes to sleep, Pin 3 (ACCESSORY_FEED_2) powers off, 10 seconds later, Pin 16 (ACCESSORY_FEED_1) powers off.

Thanks anyway

SR+ 2020.16.2.1. Radar Detector plug into 12v Aux in center console. Stays on when I walk away. But in the morning as I open the door, I hear the radar Detector startup chime.

So it does turn off at some point.
If you have sentry mode turned off for home, the car will go to sleep on its own, at which point it will turn off the cigarette lighter outlet. But when sentry mode is on, it is constant on. So the cigarette lighter is a hybrid constant on and switched power source.

• Informative
Reactions: rdskill
Thank you so much for the info @Ingineer.

If greater current capacity is required, refer to CD-19-17-001, “Model 3 12V Power Circuit for Third-Party Accessories”.

Any chance there is a copy of that document to learn from?

I was just going to ask the same thing.

NOTE: When the vehicle wakes up, Pin 3 (ACCESSORY_FEED_2) and Pin 16 (ACCESSORY_FEED_1) power on simultaneously. When the vehicle goes to sleep, Pin 3 (ACCESSORY_FEED_2) powers off, 10 seconds later, Pin 16 (ACCESSORY_FEED_1) powers off.

Yeah, this is my problem too. Currently it's taking many hours for VC_LEFT to power down. Which I'm assuming it's doing when the car goes to sleep, so it doesn't appear that moving to this ODBII port option will help it happen any quicker.

Luckily I have the premium sound so I think I may have to try the rear X054 option.

@Ingineer you mentioned:

also present at VCRight in the right kick panel on the large 6 pin connector. (X054) It's symmetrically opposite my tap of VCLeft.

Do you mean that if I unplug from the original pin you showed us in VC_LEFT and move to the exact same spot in VC_RIGHT I will be connecting to the same X054 circuit in the back?

Is this feed in VC_right switched?
Obviously the amp turns off when you exit the vehicle, but I'm not sure if they do that by switching this 12v leg or if this is constant and they do switching via another method

Thank you so much for the info @Ingineer.

I was just going to ask the same thing.

Yeah, this is my problem too. Currently it's taking many hours for VC_LEFT to power down. Which I'm assuming it's doing when the car goes to sleep, so it doesn't appear that moving to this ODBII port option will help it happen any quicker.

Luckily I have the premium sound so I think I may have to try the rear X054 option.

@Ingineer you mentioned:

Do you mean that if I unplug from the original pin you showed us in VC_LEFT and move to the exact same spot in VC_RIGHT I will be connecting to the same X054 circuit in the back?
Fwiw i tried getting to where that wire would be on a SR+ since there isnt a wire in it on mine and it was impossible to get to without removing the glovebox or knee airbag. If you look for the wire running down it’s probably taped together with 2 black wires and 1 orange, its a 6pin plug but only 4 pins are present on the vcright.

last night i tested the armrest switch that turns the center console light on and it works exactly like vcleft use to, im going to use it to trigger a relay. Just pop off the rear usb/vent panel to get to it its a black wire off the switch that turns brown at a connector right off the switch

Fwiw i tried getting to where that wire would be on a SR+ since there isnt a wire in it on mine and it was impossible to get to without removing the glovebox or knee airbag. If you look for the wire running down it’s probably taped together with 2 black wires and 1 orange, its a 6pin plug but only 4 pins are present on the vcright.

It doesn't/shouldn't existing on an SR+, like ingineer stated this is the feed for the amplifier in the trunk, which powers the speakers that the SR+ doesn't have access to. I believe in an SR+ the speakers are installed but the amplifier is non-existent.

last night i tested the armrest switch that turns the center console light on and it works exactly like vcleft use to, im going to use it to trigger a relay. Just pop off the rear usb/vent panel to get to it its a black wire off the switch that turns brown at a connector right off the switch
I tried this method this evening. I located the connector you mentioned with the brown to black wire. It tests correct with my multimeter. I tried to hook up a universal 12v relay (30a) but I couldn’t get it to work. The relay wouldn’t switch. Perhaps I’m using the wrong type of relay? The relay works when I trigger it with VCleft but not when I trigger with the center console light switch.

My relay coil might have too much resistance? Is there a relay you would recommend to use for this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbertos
It doesn't/shouldn't existing on an SR+, like ingineer stated this is the feed for the amplifier in the trunk, which powers the speakers that the SR+ doesn't have access to. I believe in an SR+ the speakers are installed but the amplifier is non-existent.
The wire doesnt exist SR+ and wasn’t expecting to see it but the pin is still there, couldnt even get close enough to it to test it anyway. I ended up grabbing a trigger wire off the console lights to run to a relay and seems to work exactly like vcleft use to.

I tried this method this evening. I located the connector you mentioned with the brown to black wire. It tests correct with my multimeter. I tried to hook up a universal 12v relay (30a) but I couldn’t get it to work. The relay wouldn’t switch. Perhaps I’m using the wrong type of relay? The relay works when I trigger it with VCleft but not when I trigger with the center console light switch.

My relay coil might have too much resistance? Is there a relay you would recommend to use for this?
I just used a regular 12 volt relay and its working fine for me 5-PIN 12-Volt 30/40A Relay w/ 5-PIN Interlocking Wire Connector - RECON Truck Accessories