Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a quick question for the group. Yesterday I got the dreaded 12V battery warning on my Model S, and Tesla service was wonderful and got me set up for a battery swap tomorrow, so I should be good. In the mean time, they said I could drive the car as normal, and that is was good for the 12V to do so. So I did, and I thought the 12V warning would eventually go away, but it never did. It is a bit unnerving to be driving with an active warning starring you in the face. I know the 12V warning is a common problem, but is it normal for the warning to stay on? I would love your thoughts! Thanks!

So a quick question for the group. Yesterday I got the dreaded 12V battery warning on my Model S, and Tesla service was wonderful and got me set up for a battery swap tomorrow, so I should be good. In the mean time, they said I could drive the car as normal, and that is was good for the 12V to do so. So I did, and I thought the 12V warning would eventually go away, but it never did. It is a bit unnerving to be driving with an active warning starring you in the face. I know the 12V warning is a common problem, but is it normal for the warning to stay on? I would love your thoughts! Thanks!
I also drove with it on for about 1.5 weeks.

Service said you can drive on it for 2-3 weeks with no problem.

The main cause (according to mobile service tech) was it was not driven for 6 months (due to an accident; it was charged periodically). He said the best way to keep the battery healthy was to DRIVE IT.

Good tip for those who keep there Tesla in storage periodically (like for work trips)

That's what happened with my 7-month old battery. Went out of the country for 3 weeks but the car was constantly plugged in on a Nema 14-50. Came back to the warning.

I've had others tell me otherwise but actual driving must be a factor. If I do this again I'm going to put a charger on the 12-volt.

Reactions: tga
The traction battery continuously keeps the 12v battery charged. The warning comes on not solely because the the battery voltage is low, but because the system notes a higher than normal draw from the traction battery to charge the 12v. My battery replacement warning came on about a year after my previous replacement and I am confident it was the Blackvue dashcam that caused that. In any case, until the battery is so bad that it can't hold any charge at all, you're ok. I think I went a month the first time my battery needed replacement with no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
I made it to Denver where they replaced it in under an hour. They were super nice and super helpful. They did the service for free. They didn't give a reason but suspect it was to make up for having to reroute my trip.

IMG_20180521_121300.jpg

Reactions: KArnold