Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v wire tap for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wired into my V1 tapping the red wire. Everything works but not sure when/if it will ever turn off. No sentry mode at home but it is charging. I’ll check it till we go to bed and hopefully it eventually turns off. Running Version 2020.20.12.

Well, it stayed on all night using the red wire connection. I was going to try a test with the 12V plug but it sounds like that will get the same results.
Maybe I’ll send a tweet to Elon asking for a mode switch in the software where we can choose the mode for the 12V plug, always on or switched. Our own “Joe” mode for accessories. :D

Follow up, it looks like the original tap point and the 12v plug work the same, always on until the car goes completely asleep. Whenever the car wakes up, even by using the app to get a status both come back on. I guess we will just have to get used to manually turning it on and off if we don’t want it on all day like in the parking lot at work with sentry mode active. Oh well.

I'm having my V1 hardwired soon. Would love to know if the mirror is/isn't a go for a source to use.

As a reference, I talked to the guy at Blendmount, asked about the Mirror Tap product they sell, here:
BlendMount Radar Detector Mount | MirrorTap Power Cords

I asked if any been returned because they didn't work. His answer was, "Well, we've sold a bunch of them. I think only 1 has come back. But we haven't had anyone tell us either way".

So they're selling a product that they think works, not that they know works.

I called Tech Support at Blendmount as well. Got the same no answer answers for both my Porsche and Model 3. They absolutely have no understanding of the application of their products. NOT ACCEPTABLE! They need to know more about how their products are installed than anyone else. Got my Porsche working by following advice on the Porsche Forums. Tesla is next. I really want to plug in to the mirror or the back of the cameras, not the other sources of power that are much further away. Note: some detectors like the Uniden R3 have an auto shutoff feature you can enable. It will shut down after no movement in half an hour. Not terrible. You can also just shut if off manually. Of course auto on and auto off is best. So even if the power source is constant and there is no intermittent source, I will use that if I have to. Also in my opinion those Blendmount mirror taps are a great idea but grossly overpriced. Uniden sells the identical product for one third the cost. Same for the mounts. They look great. They work well but $140 ??? Thats nuts. Somebody else should jump in and take the market away from them.

This is what I’m talking about. I did this on my two previous Model S’s with no issues. Has anyone actually tried this? I want to hook up my radar and dash cam using this method.
Do you happen to know if that power going to the mirror is constant or intermittent? I can deal with it either way but prefer an intermittent source that is only on when the car is fully on.

I opened up the mirror housing on my 3 this past weekend. There's a 2-wire connector that goes into the mirror itself with a yellow and white wire. I probed them with a multimeter but got no voltage at all. Made sure the car was turned on first too. Have others had a different experience?
Please let me know if you get this to work (either with constant or intermittent power). This is my preferred approach if it works.

Yep. Actual mirror wires don't have power. There's constant 12v power in the harness that feeds the nearby assembly with the hazard switch and reading lights, but you have to go elsewhere for switched power.

Would you please post a photo of the source of 12v constant power in the harness that feeds the nearby assembly? What possible good could the two wires feeding the mirror be without power? Is it possible that it might have power only under certain conditions?

Has anyone done the light blue wire in the door jam approach recently? [see video below]

With my 2018 Model 3 I ran a 20' cable all around and drilled a hole into the center console and use the cig lighter adapter that came with the V1. That was a giant pain in the ass. That said, it turns on and off at the right times.

Now there's a 2020 Model Y sitting in the garage. If there's an easier way to wire this thing I'm all ears. I have done an hour of research on the subject but it's not abundantly clear to me if the approach mentioned above is turning on and off properly, and with the current software.

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

Has anyone done the light blue wire in the door jam approach recently? [see video below]

With my 2018 Model 3 I ran a 20' cable all around and drilled a hole into the center console and use the cig lighter adapter that came with the V1. That was a giant pain in the ass. That said, it turns on and off at the right times.

Now there's a 2020 Model Y sitting in the garage. If there's an easier way to wire this thing I'm all ears. I have done an hour of research on the subject but it's not abundantly clear to me if the approach mentioned above is turning on and off properly, and with the current software.

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

The light blue wire gets power anytime the car is awake. If you want the power to switch when you enter and exit the car, you can add a relay on the center console led switch circuit. I posted some photos of this here.
VCLeft connections (radar detector / amp / dashcam) cutting off with latest software update - Tesla Owners Online

• Helpful
Reactions: phantasms
Hi guys,

why don’t you just plug in to the lighter socket? I ask because that’s where I plug my Radenso into in my Audi. Hoping that’s all I need to do when I get my M3P. I’m afraid to start pulling my interior apart in fear of breaking plastic trim pieces or creating squeaks.
Thanks

Hi guys,

why don’t you just plug in to the lighter socket? I ask because that’s where I plug my Radenso into in my Audi. Hoping that’s all I need to do when I get my M3P. I’m afraid to start pulling my interior apart in fear of breaking plastic trim pieces or creating squeaks.
Thanks
The lighter socket isn’t a true switched 12v source. It remains activate anytime the car is awake.

Attachments

• 0CCC5D8E-DE1B-4B01-BB9D-0739AF4B9C1B.jpeg
    0CCC5D8E-DE1B-4B01-BB9D-0739AF4B9C1B.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 126
It means the radar detector turns on every so often as the car wakes up to check for updates, or because you checked the charging status on your phone, or your datalogger pinged it to get data, or anything else that causes the screen to light up.

It may put additional load on the 12V battery (but ... not really. But Tesla may claim as much to get out of replacing a bad 12V battery).

It means the radar detector turns on every so often as the car wakes up to check for updates, or because you checked the charging status on your phone, or your datalogger pinged it to get data, or anything else that causes the screen to light up.

It may put additional load on the 12V battery (but ... not really. But Tesla may claim as much to get out of replacing a bad 12V battery).
If I shut my Radenso Pro M radar detector off when I get out of the car, wouldn't that be ok? It wouldn't turn on until I reenter the car and physically turn the detector on.

That's basically what I do (V1G2, hardwired in. I unplug it.). There's the risk I'm comfortable with that Tesla may reneg on replacing a 12V battery, but I'll deal with that if if happens. (Their 12V charging seems to have gotten much better)

Last edited:
That's basically what I do (V1G2, hardwired in. I unplug it.). There's the risk I'm comfortable with that Tesla may reneg on replacing a 12V battery, but I'll deal with that if if happens. (They 12V charging seems to have gotten much better)
Thanks so much, Thats what I'll do if I ever see the ordered car LOL, or if they continue to strip parts and features off the 2021's I'll buy the Taycan S