Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v wire tap for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heads up, for any new Model 3 owners reading this thread...

I placed my order on May 14th, and took delivery on June 4th (in case this gives indication of manufactured date, which I'm guessing is May 2019 from various stickers found around the car).

In my Model 3 Performance this port is already occupied by a red wire and not available for the "plug in, non-destructive" method of obtaining switched 12V. Hopefully this saves someone a few minutes pulling off panels trying to get at it (though really, you should still pull them off and poke around. :) )

Mythical switched 12V not available in Model 3 Performance manufactured May 2019.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: bradhs
Heads up, for any new Model 3 owners reading this thread...

I placed my order on May 14th, and took delivery on June 4th (in case this gives indication of manufactured date, which I'm guessing is May 2019 from various stickers found around the car).

In my Model 3 Performance this port is already occupied by a red wire and not available for the "plug in, non-destructive" method of obtaining switched 12V. Hopefully this saves someone a few minutes pulling off panels trying to get at it (though really, you should still pull them off and poke around. :) )

Did you find an alternative way of getting switched 12V? I am thinking of tapping this wire with a positap, but it is quite difficult to reach. Any suggestions are appreciated

Did you find an alternative way of getting switched 12V? I am thinking of tapping this wire with a positap, but it is quite difficult to reach. Any suggestions are appreciated

wow I started this thread last year, it lives on! If you go back to the beginning, one of the videos shows a method to tap into a wire that's located inside the drivers side door jam. That's what I did in the end, has worked fine since. It's pretty easily accessible, but the issue is that there is a tied together bundle of wires and you need to find the right one. In my car, the right wire was way inside the bundle and took some work to access it. Good luck!

wow I started this thread last year, it lives on! If you go back to the beginning, one of the videos shows a method to tap into a wire that's located inside the drivers side door jam. That's what I did in the end, has worked fine since. It's pretty easily accessible, but the issue is that there is a tied together bundle of wires and you need to find the right one. In my car, the right wire was way inside the bundle and took some work to access it. Good luck!
Good looking out!
On newer model 3s, the pin on the (hard to reach) connector is occupied by a red wire of similar gauge to the blue wire in that video, and I believe it runs down that same trunk of wires.
I'll tap whichever of the two is easier to pull from the trunk. Now I just need to get blue posi-taps, only had red on hand!

Good looking out!
On newer model 3s, the pin on the (hard to reach) connector is occupied by a red wire of similar gauge to the blue wire in that video, and I believe it runs down that same trunk of wires.
I'll tap whichever of the two is easier to pull from the trunk. Now I just need to get blue posi-taps, only had red on hand!

sure thing....the main thing with that bundle of wires in the door jam, is to check it before hand with a multi-meter to make sure you have the correct 12v feed.

I have a recent built 3P and just tapped into the thick red wire that Tesla now connects to the harness by VC Left. If you open the door jamb panel, it's the thickest wire in that bundle going down the leading edge. Can't miss it.

It comes on with the rest of the car when you open the doors, it goes off with the rest of the car when you get out of the driver seat and leave the vehicle.

Reactions: gundam83
So I finished the install using the T Tap method and have noticed the V1 stays on after I walk away and the car locks. I ensured that I used the blue wire that powers the center console, so after further testing, I noticed that the center console was still powered after I walked away and the car was locked. Did they somehow switch the center console to constant power vice switched power? Anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks guys.

This car definitely has a mind of its own. After conducting some experiments last night, I found that it would turn off after a designated time; although this time seems to vary (a couple times it was 10 minutes or so and when I returned home this morning, it took about 30 minutes). The outlier was when I went to the gym this morning for 1.5 hours. The unit remained on the entire time. The car was locked and my phone key and I were far enough away from the car where I feel like it should have turned off. But when I returned and opened the door, the V1 didn't go through its initial boot up sequence as it was already on.

The only thing I can think of (but don't know why there would be a connection) is that sentry mode is armed at the gym but not at home (as I have the "Exclude Home" box checked? I can't imagine why having Sentry mode armed would keep the center console powered, but maybe there is a reason for it. Has anyone else seen where the V1 will remain online for an extended duration while away from the car?