TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

12VDC Jump points on the facelifted Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chris TX, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

If the 12V battery dies on my Model S, the easy thing to do is pop off the nosecone and give the 12V posts some juice. Now that the nosecone is gone, how is that access obtained on the new, redesigned fascia of the Model S without the nosecone? This question probably applies to the Model X, as well.

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The X has cables to pull in sequence that open the Frunk when the 12V power is out; I presume there is something similar on the new S, but I haven't read of it so far.

3. zambono

zambono Member

I asked the sales guy a couple weeks ago and he didn't have a clue how to open the frunk when the 12v was out

4. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

There is a little door on the drivers side of the grill near the fog light. Open the door and there is a strap to pull to open the frunk.

• Informative x 3
  5. SDRick

SDRick Member

Does this door lock? If it locks, how is it unlocked without 12 V power?

6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

No it does not lock. Anyone can open your Frunk at any time.

7. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Nope. Anyone could open the frunk, even in Valet mode.

8. SDRick

SDRick Member

Interesting.

I hope all the owners that keep a fair amount of "emergency type" and other items in the frunk are aware. (and that the bad guys are not),

Would this be considered a security flaw?

9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I personally think so, but when you do a keyless car there are some compromises. It would be better if they at least had an alarm hooked up to it so that if there is battery power and someone pops the Frunk that the alarm goes off and sends a notice to your phone(s).

10. SDRick

SDRick Member

A small keyed lock may be the answer? How does one get into the car itself if the 12 V is bad? I know on the Corvette, which has been keyless for many years has a inconspicuous keyed lock to get in the rear hatch

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Maybe it does not work if there is 12V power?

12. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

That was an idea I was thinking, but the power draw of keeping it closed would probably drain the 12V battery.

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

That's what the Boxster/911 does, the alarm goes off if the frunk is open this way. The process there to open the frunk is more complicated (have to remove the wheel liner to access it), but you don't need keys to open the frunk for those cars either.

I think the reason why they can't have the frunk locked is to provide roadside assistance access to jump the 12V battery (for Tesla this is required to release the electric parking brake). The previous design had access through the nose cone and inside the car is a mechanical release for the frunk under the glove box, but they obviously redesigned that.

• Like x 1
  14. green1

green1 Active Member

Only the RWD cars had the release in the car, the AWD versions it was behind the nose cone. There are advantages both ways. In my car it's inside, so the frunk is as secure as the interior, however if the 12v is dead, and jumping it doesn't work for any reason, you need to break in to the car to open the frunk.
    With the AWD, if things go squirrely you can get at a large portion of the 12v system, but anyone who knows how can get in to your frunk without unlocking anything. It seems the new version is even worse as the door would likely be easier to open than it was to remove the nose cone without opening the frunk first.

That said, short of a mechanical key somewhere on the vehicle, I don't really see any good design options here.