Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12volt Battery Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a ‘17 Model S 100D and just got an alert to schedule service to have the 12 volt battery replaced. Any idea what kind of timeframe I have before it’s shot? I will replace it myself. TIA
Why wait? In the meantime turn Sentry on and disable all exclusions as this will prevent the car from going to sleep. When the car is awake the 12V battery is not used, only charged.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I have a ‘17 Model S 100D and just got an alert to schedule service to have the 12 volt battery replaced. Any idea what kind of timeframe I have before it’s shot? I will replace it myself. TIA

I wish I had gotten such a notice! About a year ago (?) my car wouldn't start and it turned out the 12-v. battery had died. If I ever get that notice, I'll have the battery replaced immediately. I am under the impression that they put a rather small battery in since it doesn't have to do much.

Generally, you have 3-4 weeks to get the battery replaced after you get the warning, as it detects slow battery degradation. This is fairly reliable as there is specific additional hardware used in Teslas (and Hondas) to detect this kind of battery degradation. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had this happen a few times over the years. It is not an emergency but should be dealt with within 3 weeks or so of the warning first appearing.

On very rare occasions, the battery instantly fails without warning (just like ICE car batteries). This is a different issue, usually caused by an internal short or open. There is no way to detect that this is about to happen.

Generally, you have 3-4 weeks to get the battery replaced after you get the warning, as it detects slow battery degradation. This is fairly reliable as there is specific additional hardware used in Teslas (and Hondas) to detect this kind of battery degradation. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had this happen a few times over the years. It is not an emergency but should be dealt with within 3 weeks or so of the warning first appearing.

On very rare occasions, the battery instantly fails without warning (just like ICE car batteries). This is a different issue, usually caused by an internal short or open. There is no way to detect that this is about to happen.
Thanks for the in depth response. I plan on replacing it myself, but I can’t seem to find the battery size of what I need anywhere online. Any idea what it is? Also will one from like any parts store cause any issues? Thanks

The battery is not one you will find at a parts store. I found this one:

But if a Tesla SC is not too far, just order one from them and pick it up.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H