Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12volt Battery Replacement - NAPA Auto Parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A standard battery has vents for each shell otherwise they would pop off due to hydrogen gas generation. When you put a std battery on a charger you should remove the caps so the hydrogen doesn't accumulate. You can see it bubbling on the lead. When you add water to top off the battery , the missing water H2O had been turned into into hydrogen gas H2 previously.
No, not true. Maintenance free lead acid batteries - which literally all vehicles that are not using an AGM use these days - are sealed and not vented. They do not gas unless seriously abused. Maintenance Free |

Reactions: medphys3
I don't have a Tesla yet, but I changed all my car's batteries myself. AGM is the best.
As long as the battery website is listed as a fit, it should be a fit.
From what I know so far, any 51R AGM battery should be a fit.
You can change it by yourself.

However, if you never changed a car battery before, you might practice the lifting.

Protect your back. The battery is very heavy and to put it in requires you to reach out and might hurt your back.

I don't have a Tesla yet, but I changed all my car's batteries myself. AGM is the best.
As long as the battery website is listed as a fit, it should be a fit.
From what I know so far, any 51R AGM battery should be a fit.
You can change it by yourself.

However, if you never changed a car battery before, you might practice the lifting.

Protect your back. The battery is very heavy and to put it in requires you to reach out and might hurt your back.
Most 51R batteries should fit. The ones that won't fit have a plastic tab on 2 sides of the base that can be used to clamp it down on vehicles that hold it down with a rubber piece. That tab won't allow it to fit into the Tesla, so make sure you buy a battery with smooth sides on the base of the battery.

good info here. is there a link someone can share to find a conventional battery to fit the model 3? amazon or would local autozone, etc carry em?

im about to sell my m3p and it currently has a lithium battery in it so i want to make that swap.

No, not true. Maintenance free lead acid batteries - which literally all vehicles that are not using an AGM use these days - are sealed and not vented. They do not gas unless seriously abused. Maintenance Free |
While what you say is true (MF batteries should not be venting if the battery wasn't abused), note that the one Tesla uses does have a port for a vent hose (you can see it on the right side here, there a tube connected to the battery near the white label saying 12V Battery):
tesla-model-3-dashcam-power-12v-e1599224074310-1024x768.jpg

Tesla's 12V batteries set to receive major improvements through software update

Some AGM batteries also have the same vent hole and the same tube system, designed so gases can be vented in case of overcharging (as it can still generate hydrogen gas even if AGM). From a quick google, you can see the vent hole on the side of this DieHard AGM battery for example (note I just found a random example, not saying it's Tesla compatible). Usually aftermarket ones come with two holes and you use one of them and plug the other (you can see the plug in the picture also, that they provide on the positive terminal cover.
10210826_gmp_h7agm_pri_larg.jpg

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
A closer look from a tech manual of how the plug should be used (on the side that doesn't have the hose connected):
b614b8254397522

2abe59aaaa96e17

Proper Installation of Battery Vent Plugs

But Tesla is definitely not using a conventional battery that has caps that you can use to refill water (and also directly vents from). Being MF it's actually very similar to AGM batteries, just using a different tech inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
good info here. is there a link someone can share to find a conventional battery to fit the model 3? amazon or would local autozone, etc carry em?

im about to sell my m3p and it currently has a lithium battery in it so i want to make that swap.
Yes, you can find a battery at any auto parts store. But you need to look for it by size, group size 51R. The computer or paper catalog that you normally use to find a battery for your car will not show any results.

Since you specifically mentioned AutoZone, here you go https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/bn/3999982054

Regarding AtlasBX (Hankook) batteries...

Starting at page 24 of https://cdn.hankook-atlasbx.com/PRD...7-4134-ba7c-a3e33e1e31ca/HANKOOK_GLOBAL_C.pdf , the following are of the group 51R dimensions:

AGM 51-450
AGM 60B24R
EFB N55(70B24L)
EFB 80B24(N55)
AGM S46B24R
UMF 75B24R/L/RS/LS
MF 54523
MF 54524
MF 54584
MF 54551
MF 60B24L/R/LS/RS
MF 65B24L/R
MF 51-430
MF 51-460
MF 51R-430
MF 51R-460
Some of those will have different terminal posts than the SAE that work directly with our Teslas. And those batteries might not be available in the open market if AtlasBX focuses on providing to vehicle manufacturers directly.

Isn't the best 12V battery for the Tesla the Ohmmu 12V Lithium battery (12V Lithium Battery for TESLA Model 3) Yes, I know they are out-of-stock for now. Yes, I know the cost ~$450. But think of the long run! Isn't that what the new Teslas are coming out with?
"Best" is very subjective as Ohmmu has had plenty of headaches. One example thread is below:

Isn't the best 12V battery for the Tesla the Ohmmu 12V Lithium battery (12V Lithium Battery for TESLA Model 3) Yes, I know they are out-of-stock for now. Yes, I know the cost ~$450. But think of the long run! Isn't that what the new Teslas are coming out with?
I have been researching the 12 volt battery from MPP. Their battery is even more expensive at $600 but I have not found the same issues Ohmmu is having. My car is only a few months old and I will probably not buy anything "tomorrow" but would like to know my options when the time comes.

Which is the better lithium battery, irrespective of cost and availability? Mountain Pass Performance or Ohmmu?
If I had to choose between the two, I would go for the EarthX ETX900 (which is the battery used in the MPP kit) because they actually have very detailed specs on their website and the batteries are designed to be used in airplanes. See the Product Specification Sheet towards the bottom of the page ETX900 EarthX Lithium Battery for experiemental aircraft!

If I had to choose between the two, I would go for the EarthX ETX900 (which is the battery used in the MPP kit) because they actually have very detailed specs on their website and the batteries are designed to be used in airplanes. See the Product Specification Sheet towards the bottom of the page ETX900 EarthX Lithium Battery for experiemental aircraft!
How they going to do next time tesla changes the BMS?

How they going to do next time tesla changes the BMS?
I've only seen 1 report of the EarthX battery being possibly affected by a software update, versus many more Ohmmu. There is also a chance the EarthX failed for another reason. I just voiced my choice if I HAD to pick between the two solely on the fact that the EarthX has a detailed specification sheet whereas the Ohmmu is more of a black box. When my original 12v battery dies I won't be getting either of them (too expensive). I will just buy a group size 51R lead acid battery from my nearest auto parts store or Walmart.

These are different batteries. The Ohmmu are Lithium-Iron-Phosphate whereas Tesla equips now with the Lithium-Ion batteries as seen below:

Capture.JPG

The Mountain Pass Performance on the other hand is Li-Ion.

Last edited:
These are different batteries. The Ohmmu are Lithium-Iron-Phosphate whereas Tesla equips now with the Lithium-Ion batteries as seen below:

View attachment 760565

The Mountain Pass Performance on the other hand is Li-Ion.

The Tesla OEM low voltage battery is Lithium Ion, which is why it's at a higher nominal voltage of around 15.6v. But both the Ohmmu and EarthX (the battery that's in the MPP kit) are the same Lithium Iron Phosphate (aka LiFePO4). LiFePO4 ends up with very similar voltages to a lead acid battery, which is why it can be a plug and play replacement for many situations.

Here's a link to the datasheet for the EarthX if you are interested in reading more detailed specs https://earthxbatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ETX900-Product-Spec.pdf