Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12volt Battery Replacement - NAPA Auto Parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only seen 1 report of the EarthX battery being possibly affected by a software update, versus many more Ohmmu. There is also a chance the EarthX failed for another reason. I just voiced my choice if I HAD to pick between the two solely on the fact that the EarthX has a detailed specification sheet whereas the Ohmmu is more of a black box. When my original 12v battery dies I won't be getting either of them (too expensive). I will just buy a group size 51R lead acid battery from my nearest auto parts store or Walmart.
Why not Tesla for an OEM at only $85?

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
I would definitely buy am OEM battery for $85, but there won't be any near where I live and work when mine dies. The nearest Tesla Service Center to me is about 1 hour 40 minutes from my house and who knows where the mobile service techs would be at the time and if they have any spare batteries with them. Also, my battery could fail when the Service Center or mobile techs are not available (weekends or late at night/early morning). Which is why I will just buy a group size 51R battery from my nearest auto parts store or Walmart if I have to replace my battery right away. But I'm prepared and know what to do when it happens, so it's not a concern for me.

Which is why I will just buy a group size 51R battery from my nearest auto parts store or Walmart if I have to replace my battery right away. But I'm prepared and know what to do when it happens, so it's not a concern for me.
Does the WalMart EverStart Maxx 51R battery have a connection for the vent tube? Unfortunately, not all sides are visible in the photos.

It does appear to be less expensive than the usual $200 that most other 51R batteries cost.

Does the WalMart EverStart Maxx 51R battery have a connection for the vent tube? Unfortunately, not all sides are visible in the photos.

It does appear to be less expensive than the usual $200 that most other 51R batteries cost.
That looks like a conventional vented battery. You can see the caps that you can pop up and refill water. The battery doesn't say it's maintenance free, so I don't expect it has the vent tube (it'll just vent via the caps).

No it doesn't, because it is not sealed and has the traditional caps on top that you can remove to add water. Buying that would be a last case scenario for me because I'm pretty sure I can jump start my Tesla and keep it running with a weak battery.

The cheapest non-OEM battery I've seen available is at AutoZone for $70 (https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ttery-51r-e-group-size-51r-410-cca/811865_0_0). I can't tell if the two elongated tabs on the sides are for a vent hose or just to pry up the cover with a screwdriver.

Long term, I would want to use a battery that has a port for the vent hose so that any gases that might get released during charging don't cause corrosion around the battery area.

No it doesn't, because it is not sealed and has the traditional caps on top that you can remove to add water. Buying that would be a last case scenario for me because I'm pretty sure I can jump start my Tesla and keep it running with a weak battery.

The cheapest non-OEM battery I've seen available is at AutoZone for $70 (https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ttery-51r-e-group-size-51r-410-cca/811865_0_0). I can't tell if the two elongated tabs on the sides are for a vent hose or just to pry up the cover with a screwdriver.

Long term, I would want to use a battery that has a port for the vent hose so that any gases that might get released during charging don't cause corrosion around the battery area.
Wow, that's the cheapest, by far, though not very powerful. Doesn't look vented.

Available at Costco I have used interstate batteries for years and they are great. No vent tube, but I'm not concerned about that. You also get back $15 for the core charge so it comes out to $84.99 plus tax depends on where you are. By the wy these 51R batteries are used in a lot of Hondas and are very common.
One cent cheaper than the OEM battery at Tesla. Good luck with the Hydrogen gas and sulfuric acid corrosion. Doubt Tesla would honor any warranty work caused by corrosion and leakage.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
One cent cheaper than the OEM battery at Tesla. Good luck with the Hydrogen gas and sulfuric acid corrosion. Doubt Tesla would honor any warranty work caused by corrosion and leakage.
Thats not what I was quoted by the Tesla Service Center to replace the battery. Thats the first thing. Second, I'm a car guy and I've done everything myself that I can do myself. As much as I check my cars in the past I've never had that happen with these batteries. In my opinion its a better battery than the OEM so I'll check it and replace as necessary without being at the mercy of the Tesla Service Center.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Thats not what I was quoted by the Tesla Service Center to replace the battery. Thats the first thing. Second, I'm a car guy and I've done everything myself that I can do myself. As much as I check my cars in the past I've never had that happen with these batteries. In my opinion its a better battery than the OEM so I'll check it and replace as necessary without being at the mercy of the Tesla Service Center.
FWIW I replaced my factory 12V at 80k miles with a 51R AGM from OReilly. Battery died Sunday morning and I had to travel for work Monday so no time to wait for Tesla service, plus it’s just swapping a battery out (not rocket science). I now have 135k miles so I’ve had this battery for 55k miles, tons of software updates since then and not a single problem. I will probably schedule a pre-emptive replacement soon and have Tesla put in a new OEM 12V.

FWIW I replaced my factory 12V at 80k miles with a 51R AGM from OReilly. Battery died Sunday morning and I had to travel for work Monday so no time to wait for Tesla service, plus it’s just swapping a battery out (not rocket science). I now have 135k miles so I’ve had this battery for 55k miles, tons of software updates since then and not a single problem. I will probably schedule a pre-emptive replacement soon and have Tesla put in a new OEM 12V.
135k miles that's awesome! I have a long commute myself and so far no issues. The Service Center is far from me so I will have to do a lot on my own. Its easy to check the battery in case any issues but its just a 10 minute just no fuss. How's your car after 135k miles? More curious about the battery.

$85 across the counter at Tesla no core charge.

Good information about an AGM. What is your current software update? Most recent updates introduced a battery overcharge test that gave fits to Lion batteries since they have their own on board BMC that conflicts (Ohmmu has a fix coming). If you have an AGM with the most recent updates then it passed the overcharge testing by the most recent software versions.

You'd think right? Me too - except I'm now 4+ weeks from originally setting up a 'service appointment' to buy one from local service center. They are unicorns it seems; current scheduled date (2nd reschedule from Tesla side) is 2/18.

edit: actually 3rd reschedule, first 2 were within a few days of each other, last one jumped 3 weeks

You'd think right? Me too - except I'm now 4+ weeks from originally setting up a 'service appointment' to buy one from local service center. They are unicorns it seems; current scheduled date (2nd reschedule from Tesla side) is 2/18.

edit: actually 3rd reschedule, first 2 were within a few days of each other, last one jumped 3 weeks
I walked in unscheduled and got one across the counter in like 3 minutes.

Why not just buy one, install it yourself and forget the aggravation of rescheduled appts?

For those who are unable to get the Tesla OEM (Hankook) battery in a reasonable time, which aftermarket 51R batteries have the vent connection?

It looks like some may have a vent connection in the photos, but it looks like a different shape than what the vent connection to the OEM battery uses. Example: https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ttery-51r-e-group-size-51r-410-cca/811865_0_0