Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12Volt battery, warranty or consumable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I received the dash notification "Schedule Service to Replace low voltage battery". I used the app and Tesla Ranger is to arrive this AM. I received an email that advised the service visit would Reseal Upper Control Arm Ball Joints, at no charge, and that the battery would be $165 plus $73.50 in labor at a bill rate of $210/hr.

My vehicle is a 2019, with 47k miles. In reading other post it appeared the 12V battery was replaced under warranty which in my world is unusual for a battery, but I'll take it if offered? I do know Tesla changes policy in a heartbeat, perhaps I caught it at the wrong cycle!

Yesterday I received the dash notification "Schedule Service to Replace low voltage battery". I used the app and Tesla Ranger is to arrive this AM. I received an email that advised the service visit would Reseal Upper Control Arm Ball Joints, at no charge, and that the battery would be $165 plus $73.50 in labor at a bill rate of $210/hr.

My vehicle is a 2019, with 47k miles. In reading other post it appeared the 12V battery was replaced under warranty which in my world is unusual for a battery, but I'll take it if offered? I do know Tesla changes policy in a heartbeat, perhaps I caught it at the wrong cycle!
12 volt battery is covered by warranty, unless you replaced it with something else, yourself. Mine has been replaced twice under warranty.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
12 volt battery is covered by warranty, unless you replaced it with something else, yourself. Mine has been replaced twice under warranty.
The battery is original to the car. I have read the warranty and see no mention of the 12V battery, only the main traction battery. If you could direct me to the language that includes the 12V battery for my 2019 Model X, that would be great! Perhaps if I removed the battery and took it to the OEM battery manufacturer, whoever that is, I could get some form of warranty, perhaps pro rated?

The battery is original to the car. I have read the warranty and see no mention of the 12V battery, only the main traction battery. If you could direct me to the language that includes the 12V battery for my 2019 Model X, that would be great! Perhaps if I removed the battery and took it to the OEM battery manufacturer, whoever that is, I could get some form of warranty, perhaps pro rated?​
IHMO this is a grey area. In the exclusions section it excludes:

”Normal wear and tear”

“Expendable maintenance items (such as wiper blades/inserts, brake pads/linings, filters, etc.)”

In every car I have owned the battery was not covered by the new car warranty, but it did include a warranty of its own. Since the Tesla battery does not appear to have a seperate warranty you certainly can, and should argue it is covered by the main warranty. But don’t raise the question with Tesla when you need a new one and, hopefully, they will just replace it as others have noted. If they don’t want to cover it because it is “excluded” ask them for the 12-volt battery warranty documentation.

The battery is original to the car. I have read the warranty and see no mention of the 12V battery, only the main traction battery. If you could direct me to the language that includes the 12V battery for my 2019 Model X, that would be great! Perhaps if I removed the battery and took it to the OEM battery manufacturer, whoever that is, I could get some form of warranty, perhaps pro rated?
Don't take it out. That will void Tesla's warranty for sure. Have they actually told you it was not covered? Often they quote pricing when an item might not be covered. It is a specialized AGM battery not available through normal automotive sources. It will be difficult to find.

An update! The work was done and I did pay for the battery and labor to install. I asked and the mobile tech. did attempt to get it under warranty however it was denied. He did advise that they review all such billing inquiries and there is a chance they might reverse the billing. I won't hold my breath. Tough to argue since "industry standard" has considered batteries for every car I have owned to be a wear item, or consumable, and is not warranted. I did not pursue getting it under any form of OEM warranty knowing most of those are prorated and amount to very little at the end of the day. My next battery will be a lithium, that I purchase and install. Interesting that the labor was $73.50, which at a $210/hr bill rate makes it a 20 minute job. Took more like an hour. Technician was good and punctual.

IHMO this is a grey area. In the exclusions section it excludes:

”Normal wear and tear”

“Expendable maintenance items (such as wiper blades/inserts, brake pads/linings, filters, etc.)”

In every car I have owned the battery was not covered by the new car warranty, but it did include a warranty of its own. Since the Tesla battery does not appear to have a seperate warranty you certainly can, and should argue it is covered by the main warranty. But don’t raise the question with Tesla when you need a new one and, hopefully, they will just replace it as others have noted. If they don’t want to cover it because it is “excluded” ask them for the 12-volt battery warranty documentation.
The battery on my 2019 Tesla Model 3 was recently replaced free under the Tesla warranty by Tesla mobile service.

I just got a "service 12v battery ..." alert and booked a service appointment. Tesla is covering my battery replacement. The invoice says that they are replacing it with an AGM battery, so it may not be the newer Li-on 12v battery.

Unless the vehicle came with the LiFEPO4 battery from the factory, that won’t be what’s used for replacement. It’s not a straight swap - some other components need to be updated to accommodate it as well.

They replaced my 2019 MX battery about a year ago at no charge.