Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

13 cars broken into last night, for laptops - costco sunnyvale parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh man. I was parked in that area earlier today. These are not bad neighborhoods. It could be that's what's making them targets, though.

If you know where the Stanford Express Care is, on N 1st st, between Skytop and Brandon, that's where it was.

Funny you should mention nice places being targets. I remember arguing with a UPS driver once over that. They left a parcel that was "signature required" on my doorstep, I asked why, and their response was "Sometimes we leave them if it's a nice area" - to which I replied "Do you think that a criminal might want to come to a nice area looking for expensive items at all?".

So you're probably right, nice area, nice car, criminals probably think there might be something worth taking inside.

All that you could do at that moment is try to scare them off

I think the best things to do is to start a video feed of them. If you are on twitter or Facebook or instagram or other platform LIVE feed and start talking (or fake it if you don't have a connection).

I am here in "place" San Jose at my car at 1st and Tasman and this man is trying to break my back windshield. He is white, 5'10" about 210 pounds. Oh he has an accomplice nearby....

Did anyone get an update / acknowledgement from any of the PDs ? Hoping that Sunnyvale and Cupertino PDs are more actively looking into this.
Cupertino doesn't actually have a PD. It's served by a combination of the San Jose PD and the Santa Clara County Sheriff's office. I initially called the latter and they directed me to the San Jose PD for non-emergency reports. I did receive an email confirmation of the police report, but nothing further. It's interesting to note that Santa Clara County does have an auto theft task force. Hopefully they're on this, even though it's more about vandalism and theft from cars, not car thefts.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I think the best things to do is to start a video feed of them. If you are on twitter or Facebook or instagram or other platform LIVE feed and start talking (or fake it if you don't have a connection).

I am here in "place" San Jose at my car at 1st and Tasman and this man is trying to break my back windshield. He is white, 5'10" about 210 pounds. Oh he has an accomplice nearby....
Oh my, your nativity will be your undoing

Hubby took our SJ break in dashcam video to the Sunnyvale PD last week after the Costo break in. I don't think he's expecting to hear anything although it would be nice one day if they could arrest these guys. We didn't lose personal property like some other people did and figure we'll never get made whole for the auto damage. Didn't know about Santa Clara County task force though. That's encouraging. @thecloud any idea if all these break in cases get forwarded to this group?

Oh man. I was parked in that area earlier today. These are not bad neighborhoods. It could be that's what's making them targets, though.

That one is interesting because the rear quarter glass wasn't broken, just the rear door window. There must have been something clearly visible on the back seat or floor.

I'm leaving the parcel shelf off for now.
City Council of San Jose voted about a decade ago to make San Jose a destination for destitute poor displaced by hurricanes. The first layer of these refugees seem ok, but then they invite all of their relatives who are drug dealers, pimps, murderers, scammers, and thieves, and they go to town, so to speak. The police not doing as much also hurts. There's other things as well, but I don't feel the need to bring them up right now. My point is that the neighborhood may be traditionally safe, but not as much any more. By the way, that particular intersection is within a few blocks of a huge trailer park, so just keep in mind your assumptions of who lives around there and how they may be slightly wrong.

City Council of San Jose voted about a decade ago to make San Jose a destination for destitute poor displaced by hurricanes. The first layer of these refugees seem ok, but then they invite all of their relatives who are drug dealers, pimps, murderers, scammers, and thieves, and they go to town, so to speak. The police not doing as much also hurts. There's other things as well, but I don't feel the need to bring them up right now. My point is that the neighborhood may be traditionally safe, but not as much any more. By the way, that particular intersection is within a few blocks of a huge trailer park, so just keep in mind your assumptions of who lives around there and how they may be slightly wrong.
While fact-checking my post, I realized I was too conservative; (1) it's within a block of the closest trailer park, which I know to be a not-well-to-do area, and (2) there are a lot of brand new massive super super high density housing projects, with many % designated for low income. These tend to be populated by poor and not so bad people, but then of course, they have their worst relatives move in, and things go down hill, as previously described above with the council.

You sound like one of those conservative deplorables.

Reactions: Owner
Another one, September 7th near El camino + Lawrence. Called Santa Clara PD non-emergency number and they directed me to an online form to self-report the incident. I asked if it's safe to get in / use the car, the operator got frustrated and said "THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO EVEN IF SEND A CAR OUT THERE". I'm going to take that as it's not very high on their list of crimes :(

View media item 117303

Another one, September 7th near El camino + Lawrence. Called Santa Clara PD non-emergency number and they directed me to an online form to self-report the incident. I asked if it's safe to get in / use the car, the operator got frustrated and said "THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO EVEN IF SEND A CAR OUT THERE". I'm going to take that as it's not very high on their list of crimes :(
They are not following the Mayor Giuliani method of enforcement, but the other issue is that it is hard to find them. Facial recognition software paired with good AP2 HW surround-cam footage would actually work, but the forces that be (Tesla, police departments) don't want to do it. As you said, it is not a priority. My poor advice to anyone is make it annoying for them to go target a car, and they might not do it. (I have some more rugged and rural type of advice, but it is something I feel like is not appropriate for TMC.)

@cwerdna thanks for posting this!! I do have a story that matches this. I got my laptop back from the cops as they were recovering many laptops on their way to Vietnam. So glad they caught some guys, and are on their way to catch more. I do know multiple PDs were involved. Yes, I can confirm that this story is related to what happened to my Tesla, and may others' in this forum!