Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

13 cars broken into last night, for laptops - costco sunnyvale parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@cwerdna thanks for posting this!! I do have a story that matches this. I got my laptop back from the cops as they were recovering many laptops on their way to Vietnam. So glad they caught some guys, and are on their way to catch more. I do know multiple PDs were involved. Yes, I can confirm that this story is related to what happened to my Tesla, and may others' in this forum!

I read about the news story of the capture of this ring in another thread. So glad to hear at least one of our TMC bay owners got their item back. Are you saying that your stolen mdse was from the Costco breakin timeframe last August then?? I know the news article said if anyone in the last month had it happen to them it was a good chance the PD had it now. But geez that Costco thing happened many months, and if so, we'll contact the poor family with the SVU that got broken into and ripped off at the same time our car was hit in the SJ Black Angus parking lot to give them the heads up.

Out of curiosity was your laptop wiped or did it still have your files on it? Thanks for posting this update from a victim's standpoint. Bet it felt good to get it back and know these guys got apprehended.

Just yesterday in San Francisco an undercover police officer doing survelliance on an auto theft detail got run over by one of the perps who broke into a tourist car. One guy fled in his car while intentionally running over the officer and also ran over one of his accomplices as he tried to make his get away. I later heard on the radio that they caught both of these guys and were investigating if there were more involved. News said this was part of an ongoing undercover car breakin survelliance group that randomly checked out locations around the city on different days and times hoping to catch these guys. Sounds like the officer will be okay.

Last edited:
I heard about another Model S window smashed and laptop grabbed recently in the bay area. Even though the device could be tracked, the police seemed little interested in following up given that it had already gone many cities away by the time they arrived to make a report. Unfortunately this seems to be a very common type of crime these days. If at all possible, never leave a laptop (or phone or wallet or purse) in your parked car !

I Are you saying that your stolen mdse was from the Costco breakin timeframe last August then??

Out of curiosity was your laptop wiped or did it still have your files on it? Thanks for posting this update from a victim's standpoint. Bet it felt good to get it back and know these guys got apprehended.
Yes. That vandalism was back in August. Then, in October, I was contacted by Homeland Security (SFO airport) as they apprehended a bunch of laptop heading to Vietnam. They opened the laptops and found my info (office sticker at bottom and name on login screen - so answers ur Q the laptop was not wiped - but a guest account was created - I think to note the h/w details of the MBP so they could price it). If the laptop had reached its destination, I am sure it would have been wiped there. The laptop was with the H.S. for a while before they distributed back to the owners. From what I read, looks like this has been going on for a while, so many cases might have left USA and some got caught. I was one of the lucky ones....if the other member hasn't been contacted by cops yet from a theft that happened in Aug/Sep, then let's hope their laptops are in the boxes that were caught recently - my guess is unlikely and shipments out monthly as it seems from the news report".

Just yesterday in San Francisco an undercover police officer doing survelliance on an auto theft detail got run over. Sounds like the officer will be okay.

Relieved to know the officer is ok. This reminds me that if you see crime happening nearby, it is good to stay away from the bad guys and inform police ASAP. Those guys don't mind doing whatever they can to not get caught.

@TEG , yep left my laptop in the trunk (glass was 95% tinted), but they took their chances to break the quarter-panel glass first to fold the seats and then look into trunk...but yes, lesson learnt - don't leave anything valuable behind!!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and SMAlset