Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

13 cars broken into last night, for laptops - costco sunnyvale parking lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if you were sitting in the car at the time?

Absolutely.

I'm gutsy enough to follow my instincts and I might talk to or yell at them, but use a gun - no way, never.

They can have my car, my phone, or whatever stuff I have in my car. Its just stuff, and all electronics I own is backed up and anything sensitive is multiply password protected.

Break a window, mostly a pain to get fixed more than anything else for me (and likely anyone else owning an S or an X)

Mine was one of them, :-(. Any good reliable south bay area Tesla repair shop? Glass damage, some paint damage and not sure yet, but likely some upholstery damage due to shattered glasses..

My regret: keeping the laptop bag in trunk instead of frunk. The rear glass has 95% tint, and parcel shelf was there, so couldn't have seen it! There was traffic all along, with cars parking and moving about at all times...ah!! hurts bad.

Please use frunk for valuables...

Sorry to hear about the damage to your Tesla. You can call Mitch at Avio Coach Craft located in Van Nuys (818) 994-6400 . They are an Tesla approved body shop and provide excellent service.

I don't think it was mentioned, but OP, did you open your trunk at all while your were in the Costco parking lot before you left your car? Was it open for awhile? If you moved your laptop from somewhere else in your car to the trunk, it's possible you were being watched and you'd left your trunk exposed so someone watching could see what was inside.

Or, the fact that it was opened at all and something may have moved around might've made the thief target your (and other) vehicles.

It's also possible they were watching for people that looked like they came from work (so might have a laptop). Signs include attire, badges, lanyards, access control fobs, etc.

I've been a victim of car break-ins twice before so I'm pretty paranoid so I NEVER leave a laptop (company or personal) in my car. I always carry it with me or leave it at home. The latter's no guarantee either as I was burglarized for the 1st time in my life in Jan 2015. They didn't steal any laptops, tablets or anything of value though...

A6524744-2F01-4208-BD84-51C68BFA09A4.jpeg
This is from August 13th on North 1st St , San Jose just south of Tasman. Not my car, but mine was parked 2 blocks away, so it certainly made me think.

I called it in to the police non-emergency line, although I doubt that really did anything.

I am blaming someone for leaving valuables inside the car.
on my car I removed the parcel shelf so someone could see there is nothing in there.
FWIW: I used to keep my 911 unlocked, I figured if they really want to get in I'll make it easy and I won't have to deal with any damage that would be caused by the thieves forcing their way in.
On sunny days, the windows can be left open, too, with car unlocked.

great explanation, exactly what happened... @SMAlset .

Here are my pics (more extensive damage as they were determined to get the backpack from the trunk and not open the doors (didn't want alarms as they had many cars to go through). I think they took more than 10mins at diff times to come and work on my car while also working the other cars. They were in the parking lot for more than 20mins I would bet.

Some pics are at site, day-time pics are at my garage this morning.

View attachment 244538 View attachment 244539 View attachment 244541 View attachment 244542 View attachment 244543 View attachment 244544
I have an idea: LOUD AFTERMARKET ALARMS. I'm not sure if it would help. Sometimes those alarms go off when you don't want them to, and people just get mad at you and cause more damage that way.

I really like the idea of leaving the car open and windows open. Put a constant light inside all of the hard to see areas to make certain that anyone looking in can clearly see everything inside, so they can see nothing is there.

The following is not written in jest; I put it out there so that some may consider it for refinement:

What kind of ramifications might a window sign like the following create?

Notice to thieves
There is nothing of value in this car
The door is unlocked - please open the door to confirm the above
Please do not break this window! Thank you.

optional:

You might find it easier to break into the next car over
Sorry. I doubt these particular thieves are literate enough to automatically read words when they see words, regardless if they know how to read in the first place. Otherwise, I might think to put a large NRA CCW sticker with a picture of a handgun on it in an obvious location for them to see.

Last edited:
What do you all think is the proper move if you see someone ready to break into your car as you approach?
Yell out your dog's name really loud and say "Pit! Leave that guy's shoes alone!" Just the thought of a pitbull chewing on their $5,000 designer elementary kid shoes will make them freak out. Do this while looking at an imaginary spot where your imaginary dog is away from the thief, so as to avoid eye contact, while walking straight toward your car. Pull out your ... whatever they're afraid of ... while you're doing it.

I'm not sure what they're afraid of besides their shoes being chewed up. White or pink paint?

If confronted with them, have a bright flashlight ready. Blind them with it in both eyes fast. (Also splash white paint in their eyes if you have it right then too.) Then you can get out of there in their blindness for a fraction of a second and run to someplace in safety. Hide and call 911 for a violent attacker.

If my Tesla had Summon that could be activated from over 100 feet away, I'd definitely use that right away.

Last edited:
What do you all think is the proper move if you see someone ready to break into your car as you approach?

Well in texas And many other sates/people I know... "vandals will be shot, survivors will be shot again". but in all honesty unless your armed and willing to use force all the way up to and including deadly you should do nothing because interfering is not worth your life and you just don't know what the vandal is willing to do...

This is from August 13th on North 1st St , San Jose just south of Tasman. Not my car, but mine was parked 2 blocks away, so it certainly made me think.
Oh man. I was parked in that area earlier today. These are not bad neighborhoods. It could be that's what's making them targets, though.

That one is interesting because the rear quarter glass wasn't broken, just the rear door window. There must have been something clearly visible on the back seat or floor.

I'm leaving the parcel shelf off for now.