TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

135 KW SC Heat

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Roaddkill, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Roaddkill

Roaddkill Member

Does the wire between connector on car and battery pack get hot when charging on 135 KW SC? There is an access panel in trunk that exposes a small amount of this wiring.

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I would imagine it does but it definitely isn't liquid cooled. I'm interested in the max current it's rated for.

3. tom66

tom66 Member

As the maximum current of the SpC is about 330A, it will be rated around there. The exact ratings will be determined by allowable voltage drop and resulting power loss, temperature rise, internal ambient temperature (under worst case conditions i.e. midday sun in Arizona) and the rating of the cable insulation.

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

If you look on YouTube, you can see kmanauto use his FLIR camera when Supercharging. In one of the videos, he does access a panel inside the car and tells you exactly how hot it is. There's a thread for his videos here where you should be able to find the video.

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I suspect it is rated higher than 330 A. The 70D pulls upwards of 370 A when SpC.