Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

13amp 3 pin charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the car is granny charged overnight you can easily get 100miles of charge. So for most people you don’t even need to install a wall box, it’s what my parents have done for their three years of ownership. I’ll be doing the same for a while as unfortunately the drive is not connected to the house and there’s a semi detached in the way. Until we move, I’ll have to charge across what is technically a public path, but never used because we live at the end of the street

I presume there is an indicator (clock) somewhere that suggests/predicts how many miles are in the batteries and I presume that indicator goes up when being charged?

With the standard 3 pin charger you are putting in approximately 2.3KW (assuming 230v and 10A, household voltage varies throughout the day). Each hour will be 2.3KWh. The LR battery is currently approximately 76KWh capacity. So it'll take 33 hours to fully charge.

LR shows approx 334 miles when fully charged at new. This isn't realistic driving however.

So, as already said, that's approximately 10 miles charge per hour according to the car. But that's just the car doing these maths.

On a cold day it may need to also maintain battery temperature. Energy heating the battery is not being stored, so it swaps between heating and charging. So you may average much less.

In summary, the range display may show 10 miles increase per hour or less.

Or just work from the battery percentage and forget miles.

I use the 3 pin charger when visiting relatives quite a lot. I get 3% per hour, so I always assume that an overnight charge - say 9pm to 8am will give me about a third of a full charge. Note - this is slower if sentry is on, and slower still if the AC is on or you're getting in and out.

Overall, if I'm there for two nights I know I can get it full from almost empty.

No, the car limits it to 10A automatically. You could swap out your outdoor socket for a 16A Commando (ten minute job) which will let you charge 60% faster.
I'm not sure that can be done without checking the existing wiring. I would not assume that an older socket would have wiring that is rated for continuous 16A charging, especially in an older house. I am not an electrician, just a bit cautious when it comes to wiring.

Reactions: MrBadger
2.5mm^2 cable has a continuous current rating of 20A.

A 16A MCB should be perfectly happy with a full 16A load on it if it's a radial directly from the consumer unit, especially given that double sockets could easily exceed 16A with two high power devices. If it's off the ring it's even less of an issue.

I have purchased one of those 3 pin plug checkers, similar to this and keep it in my glove box. So in an emergency if I am charging my car off a family/friends 3 pin plug socket using the granny charger I can check that socket is wired OK before plugging in. Not sure how useful it is as I have never had to charge off the granny charger so far.

The only thing you have to be careful about is if the socket you use is on the same circuit as a sockets which may have high powered things on like toaster, kettle, fan heater etc. If you have a few of these on at once and the car charging, it could trip the switch. But if that happens it's just a case of not using them all at once.