Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

13amp charger/charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was pleasantly suprised at getting abour 10 miles on the clock for every hour of charge. I am now wondering whether paying £800 for a home charger was really necessary!!!
I would take that with a pinch of salt. You will get 2.3kwh per hour max which if equal to 10 miles would equate to 230 wh/m. If you can average that at any time of the year never mind winter you are doing better than me!

I was pleasantly suprised at getting abour 10 miles on the clock for every hour of charge. I am now wondering whether paying £800 for a home charger was really necessary!!!
At you rate this time of year that 10 miles per hours charging will equate to 7-8 miles.

But yes, if you don't regularly do long trips, 10A charging is perfectly feasible (even mostly within an off peak window) with a little thought and common sense.

I am now wondering whether paying £800 for a home charger was really necessary!!!
Your home charger is much quicker so you can take advantage of much cheaper off peak rates that are time limited*. Also if you need to add a reasonable amount of range in a short(ish) period you are going to be better with your home charge point. It also adds further layers of safety by having a dedicated circuit, dedicated RCD and over current protection and more sophisticated earth protection.

*The UMC can actually also charge at 32 amps with the correct adapter but you would also need to install an appropriate spec circuit.