Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$13k for EV Charger @ Condo - Should I do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Placed a deposit for a new construction condo in the Bay that is still being constructed. Had the opportunity to select options/upgrades yesterday which were all unreasonable (i.e $8k for better carpet/$21k for back splash/etc...) I opted for all of the standard options given the insane pricing.

But they had the option to wire a 50 Amp outlet at the assignment parking spot....but for $13k!

What are your thoughts? Should I do it or rely on other means of charging (i.e work/supercharger/etc...).

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Sounds high but I can only offer some anecdotal info...

In our house (break box), we had barely a space to add an additional 50amp circuit. The electrician had to run a line from one end of the house (circuit breaker location) to the garage. He added the outlet and box in the garage (we plug in our charger).

That whole bit was an order of magnitude less. The distance was maybe 20' and it was under the home ie in the crawlspace so not fun to access but not difficult. I would assume (dangerous) that putting things in before everything is complete should be much less expensive.

Reactions: JPUConn
Egads, no. I put an EVSE in my condo years ago for <$1k. Don't know how your particularities compare, but $13K is highway robbery no matter what. Personally I wouldn't pay it just based on principle. Then I'd figure out how to get it done after the fact, or else rely on other charging means.

If they charge those prices for various upgrades, it makes me think you are probably paying way too much for the condo in the first place, too...

Placed a deposit for a new construction condo in the Bay that is still being constructed. Had the opportunity to select options/upgrades yesterday which were all unreasonable (i.e $8k for better carpet/$21k for back splash/etc...) I opted for all of the standard options given the insane pricing.

But they had the option to wire a 50 Amp outlet at the assignment parking spot....but for $13k!

What are your thoughts? Should I do it or rely on other means of charging (i.e work/supercharger/etc...).

Is this carport parking, a structure, or what?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

It's difficult to determine if that's a fair price or not. Generally speaking, I've found that costs for upgrade options when building new construction are excessive - since you can't bid out the job, you're stuck with their pricing.

Regardless, this is going to come down to
  1. Convenience for you
  2. Resale value
I'd guess it would be more convenient for you to be able to charge at home in your designated spot but will a future buyer of your home consider it a valuable option? Are they going to consider it when comparing homes in the area?

Maybe, since it's the Bay area, but I would recommend that you consult a realtor before deciding.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dmagyar and RBowen
I think I'd try to find an independent electrician give you a bid now. He wouldn't be allowed to do anything now, but he could let you know how ridiculous that cost is.
In fact, I'd talk to the developer sales agent and tell them this is can't be right. If you have an idea what the real costs are you might get some breathing room on that cost.
But 13K is outlandish in new construction. Actual costs now couldn't be more than a few grand, on;y thing I can think of is they would need to alter the building permit to allow the outlet. Still a nothing cost, but maybe a hassle.
For me, this would be a deal breaker.

whoops, just realized you were in the Bay area. It's still a silly stupid price but then so is real estate in your area.

It could be reasonable if it was a multistory complex and the outlet was put in a parking garage. "Condo" could mean many things and parking location could be a lot of things too... If the parking location is not adjacent to his unit there could be all sorts of rules and regs on installing one in the future (i.e. running a conduit through public spaces, perhaps it has to be underground).

A lot more information is needed before rampant speculation on what is reasonable. If it is in a parking garage they may not even allow third party installations, which means they would probably charge even more to have it installed in the future.

I would look for a different condo

Already made the deposit but if the place isn’t ready by June I can cancel and will opt for a townhouse a bit further away but at least I will have my own garage.

Is this carport parking, a structure, or what?

Parking structure.

I think I'd try to find an independent electrician give you a bid now. He wouldn't be allowed to do anything now, but he could let you know how ridiculous that cost is.
In fact, I'd talk to the developer sales agent and tell them this is can't be right. If you have an idea what the real costs are you might get some breathing room on that cost.
But 13K is outlandish in new construction. Actual costs now couldn't be more than a few grand, on;y thing I can think of is they would need to alter the building permit to allow the outlet. Still a nothing cost, but maybe a hassle.
For me, this would be a deal breaker.

whoops, just realized you were in the Bay area. It's still a silly stupid price but then so is real estate in your area.

The condo is 5ft away from the Tesla Factory. So I have a supercharger in walking distance but I would rather keep that open to people who are on road trips.

Power from building or will you be charged?

Seperate meter so I will be charged.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
It could be reasonable if it was a multistory complex and the outlet was put in a parking garage. "Condo" could mean many things and parking location could be a lot of things too... If the parking location is not adjacent to his unit there could be all sorts of rules and regs on installing one in the future (i.e. running a conduit through public spaces, perhaps it has to be underground).

A lot more information is needed before rampant speculation on what is reasonable. If it is in a parking garage they may not even allow third party installations, which means they would probably charge even more to have it installed in the future.

It’s a 5 story complex. I believe it will be underground

Already made the deposit but if the place isn’t ready by June I can cancel and will opt for a townhouse a bit further away but at least I will have my own garage.

A garage is nice:

Parking structure.
That explains cost. Numbered spaces I assume? Any worries on others using it?

The condo is 5ft away from the Tesla Factory. So I have a supercharger in walking distance but I would rather keep that open to people who are on road trips
Nice location for us ;). If your commute allows, you could only charge when there are multiple free spots, plus you will be there if it get busy. Can you get a charge point at work?

That adds to install (and monthly) cost.

For 13k, I'd use the supercharger, install one at work, or patronize businesses with chargers (or donate to Tesla to add an addition station)

Parking structure.

The condo is 5ft away from the Tesla Factory. So I have a supercharger in walking distance but I would rather keep that open to people who are on road trips.

IF you are going to splurge on the 14-50, I'd go all the way and get the wiring installed which would support 48 amp or 72 amp charging...assuming it doesn't cost $$$$ more.

I think $13k is way too expensive for that though. Yikes! I'd just use public charging. Plus, won't you be able to walk to work? ;)

Reactions: mongo
My thoughts are they are trying to rip you off. Ask for some detail on why it cost so much money. Where it is new construction it should be much easier to run the conduit and wire ahead of time and it should cost less than that.

Not charging at home is 100% nuts, i.m.o. It can be done, if you want to have your life revolve around it, but it’s nonetheless nuts.

If you absolutely must live there and if you absolutely must purchase that condo and if the route from your panel to the parking spot (no garage?) is very long/cumbersome and can’t be done after the fact, then pay the 13K.

While you’re at it, skip the upgraded carpet and have new top-of-the-line carpet installed afterwards and have someone install a natural stone backsplash (as opposed to the presumably bullion brick one for 21k). The difference in cost will probably fully cover your 13k outlet.

For comparison, my 50 amp outlet’s cost was under $100 in materials (add up to a few hundred for a very long cable run) and about 4 hours of my time (slow and very meticulous work + HD run + call to the city/utility).

What is the minimum you can get by with?
While 240v/50A is desirable, you might want to run the numbers and see (for example) if 120v/20A would be enough (7-8mph) (Tesla have the adapter for $35) and checkout cost of TT30 (120V/30A) (10 - 11mph) though that requires a third party adapter costing $85.

Reactions: JPUConn
I'd look elsewhere or ask for plans so you can get power quoted. Seems like trying to profit on expensive options for expensive property, or just a plain-old Tesla premium. Other people have retrofitted in condos despite high costs, or not done it because of high cost, but I don't remember a cost that high.