TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

14-30 adapter not outputting correct voltage?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by silentsnow31802, Jan 19, 2017.

1. silentsnow31802

I have a 10-30 plug in my garage that I share with my dryer. I ordered cable to convert it from 10-30 to 14-30 so I can use my newly purchased 14-30 adapter to charge my car. It does not seem to work properly.

I am getting 240V through the two hot sides but the neutral to hot I am only getting 8V. If I unplug the Tesla adapter I get the full 120V from each side. I have attached pictures of what I am on about. My 14-50 adapter I can get 120V on the UMC side of the adapter from each leg to neutral where on the 14-30 I am only getting 8V.

Has anyone else used this configuration? 10-30 from wall to a 14-30 plug with the Tesla 14-30 adapter? It should work in theory right?

I am wondering if my adapter has a problem.

Attached Files:

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I don't think the adapter has a neutral, it uses hot-2-hot to get the 240v. (It has no need for 120v.)

The other pin would likely be ground, is your 10-30 adapter providing a good ground?

3. silentsnow31802

Sorry my terminology might not be the best here. I do not think the adapter is providing a good ground.

Out of the 3 wires I seem to have 2 separate 120V hot wires that together make 240V and what I assume is the ground. If I go from one 120V to the other 120V wire I do get the 240V that it is supposed to have. When I go from one 120V wire to the ground I get 8 to 9V.

If I do the same test at the plug itself I can get 120V out of each power wire to ground.

Hope that makes sense.

4. silentsnow31802

DERP I figured it out....

I hooked the Ground/Neutral wire from the 14-30 side to the neutral on the 10-30 side instead of the ground. Swapped it and its working fine now.