Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-30P to 6-50R Pigtail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question - if I were to make a 14-30P to 6-50R Pigtail (labeled for TESLA USE ONLY) what do I do with the neutral wire? I've got a 14-30P moulded input cable that already has the wires attached. Can I just lop off the neutral plug? And I'm aware of the disclaimers -- this would rarely be used and only by me -- I'll have it written in my will to have this cable destroyed when I pass :p

Quick question - if I were to make a 14-30P to 6-50R Pigtail (labeled for TESLA USE ONLY) what do I do with the neutral wire? I've got a 14-30P moulded input cable that already has the wires attached. Can I just lop off the neutral plug? And I'm aware of the disclaimers -- this would rarely be used and only by me -- I'll have it written in my will to have this cable destroyed when I pass :p
If you lop off the neutral prong, then your adapter will also fit a 14-50 socket.

I have a 6/3 extension cord with 14-50s on each end; neutral prong removed, neutral socket plugged with epoxy. Yes, I know the extension cord warnings, prohibitions.

Because you're going from a plug with a neutral to a receptacle that doesn't require one, there is no need to have the wire in there, nor do you have to keep the blade in there. For most 14-30 and 14-50 plugs, you can simply leave the neutral blade out. If you're going to build an adapter like that, no need to use 4 wires. Just use 3.

If you were going the opposite way - from a 6-series to a 14-series - you'd need to worry more.

And, even a properly labeled adapter that connects a 50-amp rated load to a 30-amp receptacle has liability and insurance implications, so use at your own risk. :)

If you lop off the neutral prong, then your adapter will also fit a 14-50 socket.

I have a 6/3 extension cord with 14-50s on each end; neutral prong removed, neutral socket plugged with epoxy. Yes, I know the extension cord warnings, prohibitions.

Bill - we're in similar neck of the woods - did you find 6/3 at a decent price around Seattle Metro? I'm planning on making a 50' 6-50 extension with 6/3 SO cable.

Thanks for the link! How heavy is it (I assume yours is 50') approx? I'm debating whether I should make two 25' with 6-50s or just one long one.

I compare carrying these heavy duty extension cords with carrying a water hose still filled with water.

There is additional loss in the connectors and their interface when plugged in. If you need 50' most of the time, just make a 50' cord, if you only need 25' most of the time, then make two 25' cords.

I have a 70' cord and need most of it at a friend's house to get from his range plug to my MS. BTW, always check the breaker if you can; he has a 50 Amp range plug (10-50), but it is on a 40 Amp breaker. An electrician friend told me that using a 40 Amp breaker is a trick so the range could be wired with #8 wire and save some money over #6 wire. I found that the 80% of breaker is an excellent rule to avoid tripping breakers and dialed my MS to 32 Amps there.

BTW, always check the breaker if you can; he has a 50 Amp range plug (10-50), but it is on a 40 Amp breaker. An electrician friend told me that using a 40 Amp breaker is a trick so the range could be wired with #8 wire and save some money over #6 wire. I found that the 80% of breaker is an excellent rule to avoid tripping breakers and dialed my MS to 32 Amps there.

It's not necessarily a "save some money" issue, your electrician friend is a bit jaded :). Some ranges call for a maximum breaker size of 40A (for protection reasons), others just suggest the 40A breaker. Generally, if it's wired with #8 it's simply because that's all the range called for.

When charging your car, 80% of the breaker size is the maximum amount you may legally draw; the rating of the circuit is the size of the over-current protection device, which is sized based on the load to be connected and the current-carrying capacity of the conductor. Liability and insurance implications exist if you charge using anything more than 80% of the rated circuit. This highlights the difference between continuous loads and non-continuous loads.

I compare carrying these heavy duty extension cords with carrying a water hose still filled with water.

There is additional loss in the connectors and their interface when plugged in. If you need 50' most of the time, just make a 50' cord, if you only need 25' most of the time, then make two 25' cords.

I have a 70' cord and need most of it at a friend's house to get from his range plug to my MS. BTW, always check the breaker if you can; he has a 50 Amp range plug (10-50), but it is on a 40 Amp breaker. An electrician friend told me that using a 40 Amp breaker is a trick so the range could be wired with #8 wire and save some money over #6 wire. I found that the 80% of breaker is an excellent rule to avoid tripping breakers and dialed my MS to 32 Amps there.

Yup - totally well versed on the checking breaker, reducing amps, asking if proper wire was used, etc game. Hadn't thought of potential voltage loss due to the connectors, so maybe I'll just keep it at 50' and if I find I'm not needing that much after all, go to 2 x 25'. Not exactly sure how flexible 50' of 6/3 SO is going to be, but I'd like to be able to use one of those cable coils if possible.