Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 adapter with a 14-30 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As batteries get larger and EV's become more common, I'd want higher amperage than 30... The higher end Teslas already do 48 amps. (My earlier S and X do 80 amps). Sure you don't need it 95% of the time, but when you do...

@Centauri2 you will be fine with your new 14-30 setup. At 24 amp rate your car will be full of electrons every morning. Even if you had the 14-50 outlet, your car would only charge at 32 amps (limit of the UMC). Keep your unused 14-50 adapter with your UMC kit, it may come in handy sometime while traveling.

If after time you feel the 14-30 setup does not work well for you, then you could add an additional 14-50 outlet (or a Wall Connector) and will be all set for charging two EVs at the same time.

Hi all - I bought the Tesla 14-30 adaptor but I am getting a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in my garage. My question is can I use this for charging my car from a NEMA 14-50 outlet( I have a Tesla 14-30 adaptor) . Thanks
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 13.26.17.jpg

NEMA 14-50P to 14-30R 120V/240V 50 Amp 4 Prong Male Plug to 30 Amp 4 Prong Female Receptacle Welder Dryer Generator RV EV Charger Power Cord Adapter Connector​

Hi all - I bought the Tesla 14-30 adaptor but I am getting a NEMA 14-50 plug installed in my garage. My question is can I use this for charging my car from a NEMA 14-50 outlet( I have a Tesla 14-30 adaptor) . ThanksView attachment 764030

NEMA 14-50P to 14-30R 120V/240V 50 Amp 4 Prong Male Plug to 30 Amp 4 Prong Female Receptacle Welder Dryer Generator RV EV Charger Power Cord Adapter Connector​

Buy the tesla 14-50 adapter, to go with your 14-50 outlet, instead of something like that.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Follow up question for the Tesla 14-30 adaptor have any issues like excessive heat if I use the NEMA 14-50P to 14-30R adaptor has any one tried it?
Should not, since using the Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter with your mobile connector will automatically limit the charge current to 24A. Assuming that the 14-50 outlet has been properly provisioned (i.e., correct wire gauge), you'll be running a bit over half the capacity for that circuit. However, the thermal sensor that is built into the 14-30 plug may not be in the proper location to detect any excessive heat since it would be at the end of the 14-50 to 14-30 adapter and not the wall outlet.

If you use a Tesla NEMA 14-50 adapter as @jjrandorin suggests, then you'll get 32A of current (mobile connector is limited to this amount), in addition to having the temperature sensor right at the wall outlet. It's only $45 at the Tesla Shop.

In a pinch, those type of cable convertors can be useful for "emergency" charging but they shouldn't be used for normal day-to-day charging.

Should not, since using the Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter with your mobile connector will automatically limit the charge current to 24A. Assuming that the 14-50 outlet has been properly provisioned (i.e., correct wire gauge), you'll be running a bit over half the capacity for that circuit. However, the thermal sensor that is built into the 14-30 plug may not be in the proper location to detect any excessive heat since it would be at the end of the 14-50 to 14-30 adapter and not the wall outlet.

If you use a Tesla NEMA 14-50 adapter as @jjrandorin suggests, then you'll get 32A of current (mobile connector is limited to this amount), in addition to having the temperature sensor right at the wall outlet. It's only $45 at the Tesla Shop.

In a pinch, those type of cable convertors can be useful for "emergency" charging but they shouldn't be used for normal day-to-day charging.
Thanks Ray. I am returning the adapter and getting a 14-50 NEMA adaptor

As batteries get larger and EV's become more common, I'd want higher amperage than 30... The higher end Teslas already do 48 amps. (My earlier S and X do 80 amps). Sure you don't need it 95% of the time, but when you do...
Didn’t you notice. As time has gone on the amp requirement has gone DOWN. I expect required amps to go down over time not up. 30 amps is plenty.

Unless it charges in 5 minutes the differences in L2 charging doesn’t matter that much. 10 hours vs 6 hours, who cares.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It wasn’t me - I’m still a newbie here.

But along similar lines, when making up an adapter cable for my Honda Clarity, I simply left off the unused neutral blade from the plug, since the EVSE only utilizes the two hots and a ground.

51006372747_fb5d86d534_z.jpg

Perhaps not standard practice, but I don’t see the harm.
What is the orange female plug rated for current wise? What about the black male plug? See the difference? That is an opportunity for a problem.

I’ll check. The Clarity EVSE only draws about 12A, so shouldn’t be a problem.
You cannot say because it is safe in my use case it is safe.

I was gonna look this up not expecting to find it on Amazon, but what the actual **** Amazon @Rocky_H

https://www.amazon.com/Linmunster-Double-Extension-,Generator-Conversion/dp/B09QZGGLFL/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=male+to+male+extension+cord&qid=1643906890&sr=8-6

How to report?

You cannot say because it is safe in my use case it is safe.

But I’m comfortable saying if it is safe in my use case then it is safe in my use case! 😉

I don’t mean to come off as flippant. I respect the reasons there are codes and standards and whatnot. An improperly wired receptacle or breaker or wrong colored wiring can certainly bite an unsuspecting user or electrician down the line. I’ve seen enough in my time so as never to be complacent.

But many are coming up with adapters that only they will be using. Only my wife and I are using ours, and but regardless, I’ve put warning labels where misuse might be expected.

Still, I have deep respect for Mr. Murphy and appreciate your concern. Thanks.

Oh, and even I am somewhat aghast at the male-to-male adapter you linked to. It may serve a function in some edge case, but is certainly an open invitation to a shocking encounter!