Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 alternative buying options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just bought the 6-50 adapter from Tesla, and added an adapter from Amazon that has a 14-50 plug on one end and a 6-50 receptacle on the other:

It's safe and sufficient because 14-50 simply adds a neutral that the mobile charger doesn't need. The mobile charger only needs the two hots and the ground, all of which my extra adapter passes through.

Upvote 0
I ended up waiting 10 days after delivery for my 14-50 adapter. Fortunately we didn't drive the new baby enough to make a difference, but I was admittedly sweating the delivery estimate a little. I too incorrectly thought a 14-50 adapter could be arranged w/ car delivery.

To anyone with an upcoming car delivery: Order all Tesla brand adapters & accessories now. Keep the boxes sealed, but have them on hand.

Upvote 0
They were scarce even back in November, so I can imagine now. I ordered the Tesla 14/50 adapter a month+ before delivery of my M3 on Dec 29 (along with the wall kit to hang it), and it was on backorder for months like a week later. I got it like 2 weeks before the car, and was worried Tesla would just cancel my order, but it finally arrived. I paid $35 for it (same for the plastic wall kit, inexplicably. Ha ha), and they seem to run like $150 now. Geez.

Upvote 0