Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 charging 33/32 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m charging at work like I usually do on a NEMA 14-50 outlet, and looking at the app, it says 33/32 amps. I don’t think I’m concerned, just wanted to share!

Attachments

• E9C3C015-1807-49C1-80DD-C0BF5E4E39E0.jpeg
    E9C3C015-1807-49C1-80DD-C0BF5E4E39E0.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 254
I remember seeing some threads about this a few times over the years here on this forum. It's kind of rare, but does happen occasionally. I don't know if it was ever determined if there was something specific that causes this, or if it's just a display glitch that a reboot clears up. You can turn the amps down by 1 or 2 if you want.

Here are three threads that mention this behavior of it showing just barely over the limit of amps:
Charging stops after 5-10min

Charging over amp limit: 34/32A

Model 3 Charging 34/32 Amps

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
As mentioned in one of the linked threads, you are charging at 7 kw, which is well below the 7.6 kw that the charger is capable of (240*32).

Before speculating as to why that is, it would be helpful to know why you are provided with 215 volts. There is a lot of other math like RMS and waveforms that go into determining how much power you actually draw.

The point being, the car's charger is rated at 7.6 kw (or similar number), and the car is only drawing 32A to meet that target. I don't know what the wire gauge is of the UMC, but clearly 32A is not its limit.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine