Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Extension Cord use (Long Run)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even these big thick heavy duty extension cords designed for RV camping? I'd imagine RV cables would get exposed to all sorts of weather. It isn't as simple as having the electrician bury some conduit. There is already electrical running through my back yard, so they electricians wont dig without the city surveying it and telling them were it's okay to trench. We're talking thousands of dollars, and this is a rental property so I'm not really willing to dump that much cash into it.

Even these big thick heavy duty extension cords designed for RV camping? I'd imagine RV cables would get exposed to all sorts of weather. It isn't as simple as having the electrician bury some conduit. There is already electrical running through my back yard, so they electricians wont dig without the city surveying it and telling them were it's okay to trench. We're talking thousands of dollars, and this is a rental property so I'm not really willing to dump that much cash into it.

Big difference between laying an extension cord/cable on the ground for temporary use, and burying it. Very different insulation requirements.

Yes, extremely nice in my opinion. I offered to cover the whole thing, but they said they would take care of the breaker panel since it was full and out of spec anyway. So, I'm looking at $750 for the outlet install + like $200 for an extension cord, orrr potentially 3-4k to bury some conduit in the lawn. Outlet is going in this Saturday!!

Okay, I was thinking. If burying an extension cord isn't the best idea. What if I raised it. Put in a couple fence posts high enough that the lawn can easily be mowed under the cable, and string it along. It won't look pretty, but it would be better for the cable right?

ChargeSetup2.jpg

Okay, I was thinking. If burying an extension cord isn't the best idea. What if I raised it. Put in a couple fence posts high enough that the lawn can easily be mowed under the cable, and string it along. It won't look pretty, but it would be better for the cable right?

View attachment 523515

As a homeowner who tends to my yard, I would hate it. Weed whacking all those posts, having to mow around the wire to get to the other side....

It would be more like 1 post actually in the yard, and the wire would be at least 6 foot off the ground so you could easily pass under it. I agree it isn't ideal. I think it's either that or bury it which is apparently not safe though.

View attachment 523515
Flexible conduit is safe to bury. If it's "temporary", it doesn't need to be 3' deep. Just get it out of harms way.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756MHW7K?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

I'd be charging every day. So that would mean every morning I'd have to unplug the mobile connector, roll that up and store it in the car. Then I'd have to roll up a 50 foot, thick 6 gauge extension cord. Then get on with my day. That seems like it would get old real quick, especially in the rain or snow. Seems more inconvenient then going to a gas station every week at that point. And I know you all are right, so I don't want anyone to think I am being suborn or not listening to advice. I'm just trying to work with the situation I have in the most creative way possible.

Last edited: