Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 extension cords okay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are actual RV extension cords safe to use with the mobile charger (14-50 adapter). Our outlet reaches but it is like 5 feet too short of where its ideally located which makes us do a few 3 car maneuvers to get it to work with all the cars. Was hoping to get a 25 foot 14-50 cable and use the slack to get the cables out of the way. Is this any safe? Will be plugging it in almost all the time.

'Safe' is a relative term, but yes, a 14-50 extension cord should be fine. Keep it as short as is reasonable.

The problem is that the adapters for the UMC have a temperature sensor in the plug, to try and detect when/if the outlet overheats. By moving that out to the end of an extension cord, it won't be able to measure the outlet temperature anymore.

If it gets warm enough to be questionable just make up your own extension cord upsizing the wire to the next bigger size. You want an "SO" type cord-- they come in many variants, if you have a choice an oil-resistant, cold weather flexible one might be best (SEOOW). I'd use locking connectors on it to ensure solid connections.

If an extension cord is left on the ground under certain conditions condensation can get into the plug connection. In some cases this will trip a GFCI. (You do have GFCI protection on the NEMA 14-50 charging circuit, right?)

Amazon sells extension cord covers, you might be able to find one that will fit the NEMA 14-50 extension cord, else figure out some way to keep the connection dry. You would have to modify the cover to accept the larger extension cord.

I have a fifth wheel with a 50 amp service. On occasion we've had to use an extension cable added to the regular 25 ft cable that came with the fifth wheel, in order to reach the campsite's service box, and we've never had an issue. Our trailer has two air conditioning units, microwave, coffee maker, etc. So we're pulling a lot of amps. We use a Progressive Industries 50 amp power protector for the trailer. What trips it is undervoltage conditions more than anything else. IMO you'll be fine with a good quality RV 50 amp cable.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a similar issue so I am researching whether extension cords for Mobile Charging cables are a fire hazard or a safety concern. I set up my nema 14-50 outlet on the inside of my garage to the left so that I can front in to park and charge. In the Summer time, i have my bikes and kids bikes, etc that take up space in the garage so i wanted to park outside in the summer. However, we have a 15 foot wood panel flower bed on each side of the drive way. It doesn't allow for parking easily without having to shimmy out between the panels and the car. I would need to park about 15 ft away from the garage and the mobile charger does not reach. Can I safely use an 14-50 extention like this? https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-55195-Extension-Cord-Handle/dp/B002XL2IG8?th=1&psc=1 I have read differing opinions online and Tesla does not recommend but perhaps if there are better extentions then it would be fine. Any recommendations or helpful thoughts? I just took delivery today. :)

I have a similar issue so I am researching whether extension cords for Mobile Charging cables are a fire hazard or a safety concern. I set up my nema 14-50 outlet on the inside of my garage to the left so that I can front in to park and charge. In the Summer time, i have my bikes and kids bikes, etc that take up space in the garage so i wanted to park outside in the summer. However, we have a 15 foot wood panel flower bed on each side of the drive way. It doesn't allow for parking easily without having to shimmy out between the panels and the car. I would need to park about 15 ft away from the garage and the mobile charger does not reach. Can I safely use an 14-50 extention like this? https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-55195-Extension-Cord-Handle/dp/B002XL2IG8?th=1&psc=1 I have read differing opinions online and Tesla does not recommend but perhaps if there are better extentions then it would be fine. Any recommendations or helpful thoughts? I just took delivery today. :)

I used https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ECIP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (same manufacturer, different model number) for a week at my in-laws and had no problems. Caveat is that I used a TT-30-NEMA 14-50 adapter and then this extension cord so I had to dial back the amps when I charged*. I had no problems with the extension cord or charging. If you are concerned, you can always dial back the amps when you use the cord to keep from stressing anything.

*The mobile connector sees that it is attached to the 14-50 connector plug so it sets it to the higher amperage.

For a long cable, if you don't need the Neutral to get 120 V, I would use a 14-50 to 6-50 adapter plug.
This would allow using a 6-50 extension, which should be cheaper than a 14-50 cord.

$75 - 25ft 50AMP Welder Extension Cord, 8 Gauge NEMA 6-50 Welding Machine Cord
I would be concerned that compared with welding, charging an EV is the opposite in terms of type of load. Welding draws peak power, amperage for very short periods of time. EV charging is a continuous load, i.e. 32 amps for hours, for the entire charging cycle.

• Funny
I used https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ECIP0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (same manufacturer, different model number) for a week at my in-laws and had no problems. Caveat is that I used a TT-30-NEMA 14-50 adapter and then this extension cord so I had to dial back the amps when I charged*. I had no problems with the extension cord or charging. If you are concerned, you can always dial back the amps when you use the cord to keep from stressing anything.

*The mobile connector sees that it is attached to the 14-50 connector plug so it sets it to the higher amperage.
For a long cable, if you don't need the Neutral to get 120 V, I would use a 14-50 to 6-50 adapter plug.
This would allow using a 6-50 extension, which should be cheaper than a 14-50 cord.

$75 - 25ft 50AMP Welder Extension Cord, 8 Gauge NEMA 6-50 Welding Machine Cord

Thanks for the links. I am getting 32a of charging with the Mobile connector directly to my 14-50 outlet. Would the charging speed slow significantly with either of these extentions? I am considering this solution for 8 months of the year when it is not snowing here, so I am looking for an ideal solution.

I would be concerned that compared with welding, charging an EV is the opposite in terms of type of load. Welding draws peak power, amperage for very short periods of time. EV charging is a continuous load, i.e. 32 amps for hours, for the entire charging cycle.
>> $75 - 25ft 50AMP Welder Extension Cord, 8 Gauge NEMA 6-50 Welding Machine Cord

Maximum Ampacity for AWG 8:
50 A 167°F (75°C)​
55 A 194°F (90°C)​

Voltage Drop Calculator: 240 V - 50 A - 25 ft - AWG 8
Voltage drop: 1.57
Voltage drop percentage: 0.65%
Voltage at the end: 238.43

Voltage Drop Calculator: 240 V - 32 A - 25 ft - AWG 8
Voltage drop: 1.01
Voltage drop percentage: 0.42%
Voltage at the end: 238.99

@jcanoe Is there any issues for using AWG 8 NEMA 6-50 cable (2 wires+ground) instead of AWG 8 NEMA 14-50 cable (3 wires+ground) ?
I just think that the cable will have a lighter weight, will be easier to move around, and and will be cheaper, but you will not have any 120 V capability.

Also, in the case of a campsite, you will need to get a $25 - NEMA 14-50P to 6-50R 240V 50 Amp Adapter

Last edited:
>> $75 - 25ft 50AMP Welder Extension Cord, 8 Gauge NEMA 6-50 Welding Machine Cord

Maximum Ampacity for AWG 8:
50 A 167°F (75°C)​
55 A 194°F (90°C)​

Voltage Drop Calculator: 240 V - 50 A - 25 ft - AWG 8
Voltage drop: 1.57
Voltage drop percentage: 0.65%
Voltage at the end: 238.43

Voltage Drop Calculator: 240 V - 32 A - 25 ft - AWG 8
Voltage drop: 1.01
Voltage drop percentage: 0.42%
Voltage at the end: 238.99

@jcanoe Is there any issues for using AWG 8 NEMA 6-50 cable (2 wires+ground) instead of AWG 8 NEMA 14-50 cable (3 wires+ground) ?
I just think that the cable will have a lighter weight, will be easier to move around, and and will be cheaper, but you will not have any 120 V capability.

Also, in the case of a campsite, you will need to get a $25 - NEMA 14-50P to 6-50R 240V 50 Amp Adapter
The extension cord is marketed for welding, not RV use as would be the case for a 14-50 extension cable. The plug and receptacle at the ends of the extension cable don't look heavy duty. I am sure it will be fine.

The extension cord is marketed for welding, not RV use as would be the case for a 14-50 extension cable. The plug and receptacle at the ends of the extension cable don't look heavy duty. I am sure it will be fine.
NEMA 6-50 ETL Certified .jpg

For occasional use, a properly made extension cord can be perfectly safe. For daily charging, I can't recommend doing it. If your electrician can move your outlet to a position where you can use it in all the locations you want to park the car, that would be a better solution...and considering how much a well made, 50a rated extension cord costs, it may not even be that much more money.

Reactions: sleepydoc
For occasional use, a properly made extension cord can be perfectly safe. For daily charging, I can't recommend doing it. If your electrician can move your outlet to a position where you can use it in all the locations you want to park the car, that would be a better solution...and considering how much a well made, 50a rated extension cord costs, it may not even be that much more money.
Just wondering what the technical reason why extentions are good for temporary but not long term use. Is it because of increase risk of damage to the cord over time?
If my driveway setup doesnt allow for me to have a wall connector or mobile connector to be within 25 feet of the car, for the summer, is my only option to clear out my garage and park inside or are there any recommended 3rd party chargers that are longer than 25 feet?

Just wondering what the technical reason why extentions are good for temporary but not long term use. Is it because of increase risk of damage to the cord over time?
If my driveway setup doesnt allow for me to have a wall connector or mobile connector to be within 25 feet of the car, for the summer, is my only option to clear out my garage and park inside or are there any recommended 3rd party chargers that are longer than 25 feet?
25 ft is the maximum length specified for the J1772 Level 1 / Level 2 charging cord. You can purchase an extension cord for the Tesla charging cord, from EVSE adapters. This would be preferable to using an extension cord.

Extension cords can be damaged over time. The ends of the extension cord may be exposed to moisture and could corrode. If you do use an extension cord inspect the cord regularly for signs of damage or overheating (scorched pins on the plug or signs of melting of the molded plug.)

NEW! Tesla Extension Cord – EVSE Adapters

Mostly human nature. For one thing, if you use it occasionally, you can check it out each time to make sure it's in good shape. If it's plugged in ALL the time, and used every day, you're going to get in the habit of ignoring it, and likely won't notice a problem until you have a failure of some sort. Since the consequences of failure in a high amperage situation can be so dire, it's not worth it in my eyes. Secondly, having extension cords on the floor can be a trip hazard.

From a "giving advice on the internet" POV, a number of people who want to use an extension cord, also want to do things that really are a problem, like running the cord through a wall, or a propped open door, or across a sidewalk, or using a 14-50 adapter with 14-30 outlet.

As far as your situation, if you want to charge outside, then ideally you would install your EVSE outside. I'm not sure why your situation doesn't "allow" that, but you might want to revisit that assumption. Personally, given your choices, I'd bite the bullet and clear room to park my car inside. If it's a truly short term need, I would do an extension cord, although an entire summer seems like a long time. The longest I've done it is for a couple of weeks when construction at my house blocked garage access.

From a convenience standpoint, I will also say that a long, heavy cord (especially the ones that can handle 50a!) can be a pain in the butt to roll and unroll...and you'll have to do that at least enough to get it back inside the garage while you're not using it.

• Helpful