Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 extension cords okay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using a 14-50 extension cord since taking delivery in September 2021 Amazon.com

I had zero issues when charging, getting between 26-28 miles p/h. However since around Feb or March my amps drop from 32 to 16 after about 20 minutes of charging due to excessive heat detection by the mobile connector. This has been an ongoing and frustrating issue. Recently, I noticed a very bad smell from my Mobile connector/xtension cord. Smelled like car brakes after intense usage in a hot day. Since that day, the charger has refused to work or drops the amps much quicker. When I touch the connection to the extension from the MC, it is very hot. I have been leaving the extension outdoors all this time, although I taped around the connection during the rainy season. I believe the extension wire itself is toast. Here is the caveat, the same person to wire my entire connection as also wired it for his own home, using the 14-50 adapter with mobile connector, and his amps drop as well, although he is connceting directly to the outlet and not using an extension cord. This final point confuses me as to what the real error is. I had him check my breaker and outlet after I had the terrible smell, and he states the connection is good with 240v reading.

This is frustrating becasue it seems that when using the 14-50 adapter, there is a common problem with both our setups with losing the amperage, regardless if we are using an extension cord or not.

If anyone would have a legitimate theory on the issue here I would love to hear it. Charging has become a hassle. (FYI I took my MC and 14-50 adapter to a local Tesla service center for troubleshooting, and it had no issues)

If your connections are hot, or worse have a smell, I would stop charging until you fix the issue. If I'm reading your post correctly; I can't believe you have kept charging with this setup since February.

Sounds dangerous, could break equipment, invite a fire, or worse.

Cause could be many; item exposed to weather that is not rated for it and thus failed, failed plug, failed receptacle, poor wiring connection, undersized wire, etc.

Measuring voltage drop with no load is very different than over 7000 watts continuously going through a connection for hours. Extension cords should not be a permanent charging solution. Technically Tesla and other manufactures never allow them, but I would be fine temporarily using one here or there if checking temperatures of connections and stopping use if any heat or smell.

It might be best to pay a licensed electrician to fix your setup, as your statement "same person to wire... his own home... his amps drop as well" doesn't appear to be someone skilled in this area. I sure wouldn't want them touching any of my house electrical systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: davewill
If anyone would have a legitimate theory on the issue here I would love to hear it. Charging has become a hassle. (FYI I took my MC and 14-50 adapter to a local Tesla service center for troubleshooting, and it had no issues)
I think the whole thing with the voltage drop is a red herring. Some voltage drop is completely normal. I think your extension cord is going out, pure and simple. You're lucky if the MC is not permantly damaged. The real problem is using the extension cord 24/7 and leaving the MC outdoors when it is not rated for it. If I were in your shoes, I would get a professional electrician to run a proper circuit. If you need to park outdoors, then your choices are either a wall connector on a pedestal, or a 14-50 plug inside a weatherproof box that can hold the entire MC. I'd do the wall connector, myself.

So at my one house I am installing the tesla charger on a 50 or 60 amp circuit. The house has the room and yhe capacity.

Now the other house is only 100amp service which I will probably have to upgrade. So for now I am using a splitvolt box on the dryer outlet, the only 220v that I have and using an 24 ft extension cord to reach the driveway. Mind you the extension cord if massive, super thick and weights a ton, I safe to say fairly durable. Although outside it will run under the siding so it will be fairly protected.

Is it crazy to get say a lectron charger or similar that plugs to a 14-50 to create a semi permanent solution until I decide what to do with the service?

The splitvolt box has fail safes to begin with where maximum amp is 24. And for the city it works for me well.

Ideas, experience, comments?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
So at my one house I am installing the tesla charger on a 50 or 60 amp circuit. The house has the room and yhe capacity.

Now the other house is only 100amp service which I will probably have to upgrade. So for now I am using a splitvolt box on the dryer outlet, the only 220v that I have and using an 24 ft extension cord to reach the driveway. Mind you the extension cord if massive, super thick and weights a ton, I safe to say fairly durable. Although outside it will run under the siding so it will be fairly protected.

Is it crazy to get say a lectron charger or similar that plugs to a 14-50 to create a semi permanent solution until I decide what to do with the service?

The splitvolt box has fail safes to begin with where maximum amp is 24. And for the city it works for me well.

Ideas, experience, comments?
If you’re going to the trouble of doing all that, why not just run some 10g wire through conduit and wire it properly?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
If you’re going to the trouble of doing all that, why not just run some 10g wire through conduit and wire it properly?

With just a 100amp service I am maxed out already. The only viable option right now is to share the dryer power.

A service upgrade is probably about 5K and I don't want to spend it as of yet as a permanent solution as we might decide to move. At least with all yhebother parts I can easily resell.