Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50/HPWC Installation Price Check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a second quote. I asked for #6 wire and he said it would be an additional $150 because he would have to buy additional wire and it’s very expensive right now.
Wow, these electricians are not off to a good start.

If the wire is being run externally (in conduit) then each of the 2 or 3 strands of #6 THHN will cost as much as $0.67/foot if your electrician is a hack and pays full retail. Doing the math with 5 feet and 3 conductors you'll see that it quickly adds up to well over $9. Plus another dollar for the ground wire!

If he's fishing the wiring thru finished walls he'll use 6/3 NM-B which is considerably more expensive $3.80/foot for three conductors with ground so the wiring cost (at full retail) skyrockets to over $19, but you will save the ~$10 cost of conduit so it ends up about the same.

If your electrician doesn't have any electrician-y stuff, like wire, then maybe he's not as prepared for the job as he thinks he is.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think most people are missing the point when discussing cost. In the current times everything is more expensive and electricians and other workers are either very busy or not available. Cost is irrelevant it’s all about profit and time. When you’re in demand you only do high-paying jobs.

Lowe’s and Home Depot also sell THHN wire by the foot for about $1.20. You should ask the electrician whether he needs NMB or THHN. If THHN, you’ll need white, red, black, and green.
Zoro is a good source for the outlet and cover plate, and probably the GFCI breaker also.

Got a second quote. This electrician is willing to do it for $375, but that’s no GFCI breaker, #8 copper wire, a self-sourced outlet, and (likely) no permit.

I asked for #6 wire and he said it would be an additional $150 because he would have to buy additional wire and it’s very expensive right now. His argument mainly centered around the fact that a range pulls more amps than a EV charger and that a GFCI breaker and #6 wire was overkill…
I have a difficult time believing 6 gauge wire is $150 more expensive than 8 gauge wire. When I installed my 14-50 outlet, back in 2018, the difference in cost was maybe $3.00 for a significantly longer run than three feet. While prices may have increased since 2018 the difference between the two shouldn't be $150 worth. Especially for three feet. In fact I decided to use 6 gauge wire because the cost was negligible. Perhaps the more significant consideration was that it would be more difficult to work with compared to 8 gauge wire (which it didn't appear to be for the electrician who installed my outlet).

Electrician #2 said he was no longer interested in the project after I requested #6 wire and a GFCI breaker. He also had no intent of running the wires through conduit.

Electrician #3 came this afternoon. 50 amp breaker (not GFCI), 14-50 Outlet (customer supplied), #6 copper wire, and some BS 2-yr warranty that somehow made everything cost less... came to a total of $670. I'll GF myself now. I feel like I've been bent over a barrel these last few days, but I'm out of time and patience.

Is this why some folks advise Tesla customers to hide their Teslas when an electrician comes in?

Like just tell the electrician you're trying to get a Nissan Leaf and how poor you are. Maybe walk with a limp and act like you are almost broke because you got kids to feed. Then you avoid the Tesla Tax.

Basically if you have Powerwalls and are trying to get a HPWC (or TWC) installed you're gonna get rekt since there's no hiding the Tesla stuff then.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
What is the issue with wire sizes and GFCIs? Five feet of wire costs approximately nothing, regardless of size, and they already have it on their truck. The breaker is a bit of a hassle because it may need to be mail ordered but still, what kind of "electrician" is offended by the mention of a GFCI breaker?

Anyway, if you want to order the breaker yourself to make it easier for these jackasses post a pic of one of your other breakers and we'll tell you what type you need.

I’ll take you up on that…
7F5CBADA-6B9A-4871-962E-F7DB0D37A226.jpeg

Y'know, I bet someone on here would be glad to stop by and wire your circuit for a couple beers.

Roundtrips from Boston to Norfolk are like $220... not that I checked.

Wait a minute... Where is that outlet going? Conduit isn't needed inside a wall.

Per other research, and then the picture, you are indeed allowed to have tandem breakers in that panel. Strangely, they are allowed to be in the the bottom four breaker spots on each side, skip the next breaker, and then one more on each side. 10, 12-15 and 25, 27-30 are the locations.