Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 in the Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cigar Man

Intriguing Human
Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2020
McAllen, Texas
I recently ordered a MY (blue, AWD LR) and am in the process of contacting an electrician to install a 14-50 outlet. (I really don't need the faster charging speeds of a wall charger.) I intend to keep the heavy-duty extension cord stored next to the outlet.

The car will be in a carport. I live in a subtropical climate and while the area is semi-arid, when we get rain, it is often toad-choking heavy rain.

The ideal place to put the outlet would be right at the edge of the carport. Of course, when it rains, the outlet will get wet.

Questions:

1. Would the 14-50 outlet be okay being out in the weather all the time? Any risk to doing that?

2. Above, I mention using a heavy (6 gauge) extension cord. Tesla sells a corded mobile connector with a 20 ft cable. (The length is fine) Since Tesla sells it for $520, what advantage would there be buying that over using a regular extension cord?

3. With either the extension cord or the Tesla connector, it will be plugged in all the time. That means any protective cover over the outlet would be open all the time, further exposing the outlet. Should I unplug it when not in use? (Seems like a lot of wear-and-tear on the outlet.) Will there be a problem if left plugged in and it rains?

4. Or - should I just give up and buy a WC, even if I don't have the 220 line that could take advantage of the extra amperage?

The 14-50 will need to be in a weatherproof enclosure. If you want to be plugged in in all weather then the enclosure you get will need to be able to be closed and have the cord coming out of it.

I would buy a wall connector, which itself is a weatherproof enclosure rated to be outside as you describe. The wall connector can be used at any circuit size from 15-60A. It doesn't have to be used for bigger circuits/faster charging speeds.

The wall connector is a 240V-only device but if you're talking about installing a 14-50 outlet then either way you'll be installing the required 240V line...

I'm a big fan of telling people they can use just an outlet and the mobile charging cord and not needing to get a wall connector. I have been using my original cable and 14-50 outlet for over 6.5 years now. But this is the condition in which I give the opposite advice. If it's outside, exposed to the elements, just get a wall connector. This is what it's for--it's made to be weatherproof for outside installations.

1. Would the 14-50 outlet be okay being out in the weather all the time? Any risk to doing that?

Electrical outlets are not in serious danger of getting a little wet, it is electronic devices with internal circuit boards that can't stand the water. In this case, that would be the Mobile Connector that comes with the Tesla that isn't meat to be in the rain.

There is some debate about whether it works in the rain, but it has a short warranty and does fail.

2. Above, I mention using a heavy (6 gauge) extension cord. Tesla sells a corded mobile connector with a 20 ft cable. (The length is fine) Since Tesla sells it for $520, what advantage would there be buying that over using a regular extension cord?

You don't have your car yet, and so you don't realize that it comes with a 20' cord that can connect to a 14-50 with an adapter.

4. Or - should I just give up and buy a WC, even if I don't have the 220 line that could take advantage of the extra amperage?

The advantage here is that you have a weatherproof enclosure with the WC and you have a 5 year warranty should it fail. Using an indoor device w/ 1 year warranty outdoors will end up costing you in replacements, each time $275. You could easily pay more in replacement parts than your wall connector (and then you will buy the wall connector).

Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanx for all the help.

To bring you up to date:

I had a revelation. I used to ride a motorcycle, which I stopped riding simply due to old age. I used to keep it in a breezeway between the storage shed and the house. Well duh - why not use that area for the Tesla? It is more than big enough for the MY, and the outlet would be a lot closed to the breaker box in the house. It is also covered.

I have an electrician coming Friday to give me an estimate. I will ask for a price to put in a 14-50 - if the system will take 48 amps. If not, I'll ask how much for a 14-30.

Why the outlet rather than a WC? Because the area where I would mount the outlet is very well protected, even if it is not totally enclosed like a garage. We recently had Hurricane Hannah go through deep south Texas, and no rain hit the area where I'll put the outlet.

One more thing - and I asked this in another post - I am under the impression that the charging cord that comes with the car is 110 volt - the UMC, not the corded mobile connector. Which is it?

The 14-50 will charge at 40A continuous pull. Code is 80% of whatever the maximum is. If you are using the mobile connector that comes with the car with a 14-50 adapter, you will max out at 32A due to the limitations of the Gen2 mobile connector.

The 14-30 you mentioned would require the same labor to install but likely slightly less in materials. This would charge at 24A maximum.

The Wall Connector will max out at 48A for your car, assuming it has the proper wiring and breaker setup.

Teslas come with the mobile connector by default. They have the 120V 5-15 adapter which is your standard outlet. (They also come with a J1772 adapter which is used in some L2 applications like public charging.) They are removable, and you can buy other outlets from the Tesla website or service department for around $35 each. So you would need to buy the separate $35 adapter for a 14-50 if that’s what your outlet is.

My 14-50 receptacle is at the side of the house protected with a weatherproof enclosure:

https://www.amazon.com/Talon-LGP1S-Enclosed-Outdoor-Receptacle/dp/B00M3H6494/

If 20 ft is fine, then the mobile connector that comes with the car should work. I charge in the rain often and just leave it plugged-in and rolled up like a garden hose when not in use. I plan to get a second one to keep in the car. Most of my driving are short distances.

Be sure the enclosure has a hole for a pad lock so it can be locked. I also padlocked the cable itself to an iron bar at the side of the house to deter anyone from trying to run off with it.

Last edited:
One more thing - and I asked this in another post - I am under the impression that the charging cord that comes with the car is 110 volt - the UMC, not the corded mobile connector. Which is it?
Yeah, I thought this sounded really familiar, because I saw and answered that exact question from someone, and it was you. I answered that question from you yesterday at 1:16 PM. So why did you ask it here yet again later last night at 8:31 PM. Don't ignore people's answers to your question.
14-50 v 6-50 outlet

Campgrounds have NEMA 14-50R’s outside so it’s pretty typical. If I were you I’d have a 60A circuit installed with a NEMA 14-60R so you have a higher capacity circuit for the future when batteries store more energy and/or the electric utility shrinks the time of use rate window. Then buy this $40 adapter. That’s the setup I have. Mine is in a garage but again at campgrounds it’s typical to have adapters outside too. Just can’t sit on the ground if water puddles.

NEMA 14-30P/14-50P/14-60P to 14-50R Adapter for EV Only – EVSE Adapters

Last edited:
Campgrounds have NEMA 14-50R’s outside so it’s pretty typical. If I were you I’d have a 60A circuit installed with a NEMA 14-60R so you have a higher capacity circuit for the future when batteries store more energy and/or the electric utility shrinks the time of use rate window. Then buy this $40 adapter. That’s the setup I have. Mine is in a garage but again at campgrounds it’s typical to have adapters outside too. Just can’t sit on the ground if water puddles.

NEMA 14-30P/14-50P/14-60P to 14-50R Adapter for EV Only – EVSE Adapters

Most Teslas will only charge at 32A from an outlet, so this is a waste of money. If you want faster charging you need a wall connector.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Most Teslas will only charge at 32A from an outlet, so this is a waste of money. If you want faster charging you need a wall connector.
You’re missing the point. You pay close to the same amount of money for an upgraded circuit. In the future when you may need a faster charging rate (various reasons as stated before) you don’t have to put in a new circuit. It’s already there and you can hard wire a new box if you want by just removing the receptacle. Your statement that Teslas only charge at 32A from a receptacle is not true. I have a Juicebox too and it’s plugged into a receptacle and it charges my MY at 40A.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and kevin1
You could get the same effect by running wiring suitable for a 60A breaker to a 14-50 on a 50A breaker. Then you don't need a third party non-UL approved adapter. When you decide you want faster charging you could swap the breaker and outlet for something else.

Unless your Juicebox actually has a 60A plug...I don't know if they do.

You could get the same effect by running wiring suitable for a 60A breaker to a 14-50 on a 50A breaker. Then you don't need a third party non-UL approved adapter. When you decide you want faster charging you could swap the breaker and outlet for something else.

Unless your Juicebox actually has a 60A plug...I don't know if they do.
Yes, that would work too since the cable aspect is the significant cost that you don’t want to redo in the future.

No, I have a NEMA 14-50P on the Juicebox because I typically use it in on an older 14-50R install. So I have a 14-50R and a 14-60R in my garage and charge two vehicles at the same time.

We use this in our carport area. Works well and will close nicely with the Tesla Mobile Connector plugged it. Cost about $35.

We installed it at 7ft up where it stays more protected from rain, etc.

eaton-temporary-power-distribution-boxes-chu1s-64_1000.jpg

Eaton 50 Amp 1-Space 1-Circuit Temporary RV Power Outlet Box-CHU1S - The Home Depot