Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7117DAAE-50C6-4D3E-9C1B-ACCF5618E7B6.jpeg

Are you sure you don't need a GFCI breaker for that? If your state is following the 2020 NEC code, it should be.

Your electrician should be the one to fix his mistake, both installing the 60 amp outlet and (possibly) not installing a GFCI outlet.

If you decide to do the 60->50 swap yourself, be very careful to tighten the conductor lugs sufficiently. It may well be more torque than you can apply with a screwdriver. It also should not be your problem.

Are you sure you don't need a GFCI breaker for that? If your state is following the 2020 NEC code, it should be.

Your electrician should be the one to fix his mistake, both installing the 60 amp outlet and (possibly) not installing a GFCI outlet.

If you decide to do the 60->50 swap yourself, be very careful to tighten the conductor lugs sufficiently. It may well be more torque than you can apply with a screwdriver. It also should not be your problem.

Purchased that one off of ebay. Will have them come out and exchange it

Ask the electrician if the neutrals should be separated from the ground wires. This panel looks like a sub-panel.
Good catch! They should, and I don't see any serious-sized wire connected to the 'ground' bus bar on the left. It looks like it might have a small gauge wire either connected to the neutral bus bar or a clamp below(just off the picture). Its possible that this subpanel was installed before they required separate ground/neutral to the subpanel, I suppose.

Ask the electrician if the neutrals should be separated from the ground wires. This panel looks like a sub-panel.

Someone else had mentioned that to me as well. Will need to have someone come back and address that as well. This was setup by the home builder / electrician. Home is about 3-4 years old. No flags as far as I know by city inspectors or our own inspector at the time of closing.

Someone else had mentioned that to me as well. Will need to have someone come back and address that as well. This was setup by the home builder / electrician. Home is about 3-4 years old. No flags as far as I know by city inspectors or our own inspector at the time of closing.
ah.... more 'professionals' at work.

In fairness I missed that too, but I'm not a professional electrician or inspector.

Reactions: DrBebo
ah.... more 'professionals' at work.

In fairness I missed that too, but I'm not a professional electrician or inspector.

I'm far from an electrician/inspector, but had posted this question elsewhere and several people mentioned it too. So I'll need to find someone to address it.

This home has not been without its issues (i.e. would never buy from this builder again).

I'm no electrician but let me take a whack at it also. I say cut the red wire!

But jokes aside, if he's an actual electrician why violate code and leave it up to you to take an unnecessary risk (14-50 on a 60amp breaker)? Breakers are relatively cheap.

Reactions: DrBebo
I'm no electrician but let me take a whack at it also. I say cut the red wire!

But jokes aside, if he's an actual electrician why violate code and leave it up to you to take an unnecessary risk (14-50 on a 60amp breaker)? Breakers are relatively cheap.

My understanding is that couldn't locate the correct breaker locally. When I searched online, eaton said availability over the summer. Cooper electronics said availability only in 1 store in the US (1500 miles away).

Hmmm, some quick web searches found 50A and 40A GFCI and non-GFCI breakers for sale that could be delivered quickly.

My understanding is that the 50A breaker has to match our breaker box. I looked at Lowes/Home depot locally, and none had stock for our breaker box. Tried calling the stores that said limited availability (but didn't want to drive an hour to check if it was there or not).

Perhaps try finding a 40A breaker. This is acceptable with a 14-50 outlet (since there are no *-40 outlets). You can only do 32A EV charging on a 40A circuit, but the Tesla mobile connector that comes with Tesla cars only does 32A charging anyway (as do many third party EVSEs that plug into 14-50 outlets).

Perhaps try finding a 40A breaker. This is acceptable with a 14-50 outlet (since there are no *-40 outlets). You can only do 32A EV charging on a 40A circuit, but the Tesla mobile connector that comes with Tesla cars only does 32A charging anyway (as do many third party EVSEs that plug into 14-50 outlets).

Bought one off of ebay that does 50A. If not that doesn't work, I'll do the 40A. Thanks