Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Nema outlet /mobile connector wall mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
I plan on having someone install a 14-50 Nema outlet in my garage. I also plan on purchasing another mobile connector from Tesla to keep in the car when needed.

What’s the best way to wall mount the permanent mobile connector I’ll have in my garage so that the cable isn’t laying on the ground?

I just hung a hook on the wall:

73E6ACAD-CFD6-436A-832C-94B3953E754F.jpeg

I plan on using the included mobile connector and I’m also going to buy the Gen 2 Nema adapter to use in my garage. Is there technically any reason to buy an extra mobile connector to store in my vehicle if I plan on visiting PlugShare locations and Tesla superchargers that already have charger cables ready to go?

In my case what scenario would it good to have a mobile connector on board?

I plan on using the included mobile connector and I’m also going to buy the Gen 2 Nema adapter to use in my garage. Is there technically any reason to buy an extra mobile connector to store in my vehicle if I plan on visiting PlugShare locations and Tesla superchargers that already have charger cables ready to go?

In my case what scenario would it good to have a mobile connector on board?
The only places I have ever used my mobile connector away from home was a planned trip to relatives and once on a planned camping trip.

Everywhere else I use a J1772 public charge location located via plugshare, Tesla destination chargers, or superchargers.

I might toss it in the car when I'm going on long trips, but I have never used it.

I plan on having someone install a 14-50 Nema outlet in my garage. I also plan on purchasing another mobile connector from Tesla to keep in the car when needed.

What’s the best way to wall mount the permanent mobile connector I’ll have in my garage so that the cable isn’t laying on the ground?
Its not only important to hang the charging cord so it does not lay on the floor. You should use a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector Chassis. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a both a charging cable hook and a bracket for the electronics unit (what Tesla calls the Mobile Connector chassis.) It is important that the Mobile Connector chassis not be left to hang only supported by the power plug and receptacle (see post#2 for what not to do.) Over time the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis will pull on the molded plug. The plug can fail and then stop working, even overheat and start a fire.

Cable Organizer

You can also find similar products on Amazon and on Etsy.

Its not only important to hang the charging cord so it does not lay on the floor. You should use a wall mount bracket for the Mobile Connector Chassis. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a both a charging cable hook and a bracket for the electronics unit (what Tesla calls the Mobile Connector chassis.) It is important that the Mobile Connector chassis not be left to hang only supported by the power plug and receptacle (see post#2 for what not to do.) Over time the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis will pull on the molded plug. The plug can fail and then stop working, even overheat and start a fire.

Cable Organizer

That's what I went with, and I really like my setup. Very easy install.

Cable Organizer

Perfect, thanks!

Cable Organizer

Just wondering, is it safe to lay the cable flat on the floor if it's not a trip hazard?

I had my Gen2 Wall connector installed on the front of the garage so that I can charge outside. The cable is a lot thicker than I thought, so I'm planning on leaving it laying flat, on a lip that I have in my garage, almost like baseboard. This way I don't need to wind the cable up everytime.

Just wondering, is it safe to lay the cable flat on the floor if it's not a trip hazard?

I had my Gen2 Wall connector installed on the front of the garage so that I can charge outside. The cable is a lot thicker than I thought, so I'm planning on leaving it laying flat, on a lip that I have in my garage, almost like baseboard. This way I don't need to wind the cable up everytime.
There is no risk of electrical shock if the charging cord is in good condition. There is always the risk of tripping over the charging cord or of running over the charging cord with a lawn mower or snow blower. Think of the charging cord as a $300 to $500 special purpose extension cord and then decide how exposed you want the charging cord to be in the environment when not charging. You will definitely want to protect the charging connector, not leave it on the ground as this end of the charging cable can be damaged if you drop it or run over the charging connector with your vehicle. If the Gen 2 Wall Connector does not have a built in holder for the charging connector you can find these on the Tesla Store also on Amazon, Etsy and eBay.

That's what I did - dedicated 14-50 in the garage with a second mobile connector so that I can also keep one in the car. Turns out I've only ever used the second unit once and that was just to show it to someone. It's nice having the peace of mind of a second unit for redundancy, but I think the failure rate on mobile connectors is exceptionally low.

I have the Tesla branded "cable organizer". It's cheap and works well enough. Though I do need to mount it to the wall better - it's not currently in a stud and the sheetrock mounts are loose so it's all kinda wiggly.

There is no risk of electrical shock if the charging cord is in good condition. There is always the risk of tripping over the charging cord or of running over the charging cord with a lawn mower or snow blower. Think of the charging cord as a $300 to $500 special purpose extension cord and then decide how exposed you want the charging cord to be in the environment when not charging. You will definitely want to protect the charging connector, not leave it on the ground as this end of the charging cable can be damaged if you drop it or run over the charging connector with your vehicle. If the Gen 2 Wall Connector does not have a built in holder for the charging connector you can find these on the Tesla Store also on Amazon, Etsy and eBay.
Thanks! It's perfectly safe from damage. But, as you suggest, I do need to get a something for the connector end.

I got a velcro strap with a loop on it. Screwed it to a stud on the wall and looped it around the EVSE to hold it in place so it's not pulling on the 14-50 socket.

Also, I gave up on rolling up the cord, lol. I have the outlet at the front of the car, near the driver's side front wheel. I just tuck the charging cable along the baseboard in the gap underneath the sheetrock where it overhangs the concrete stem wall, and then I leave the connector at the rear of the car. When not in use, I tuck it up into a broom rack that's on the wall in that location (but I really should get something fancier, lol).

Best part about this is that all my movement is at the end of the cable, and it's fully unfurled. That really makes sure that the EVSE and plug are not moving at all, because the cable that's moving is over 15' away. And I don't have to wind up a cord every morning, lol.

Reactions: brkaus
Realistically, the only reason you'd need to have the mobile connector with you is if you intend to plug in at your destination, like a friend's house. I'm going to visit my parents next week and plan to bring my MC with me so I can plug into their 110 outlet in the garage, mainly just to see how much charge I get overnight. Haven't used a 110 yet, as I have the 14-50 outlet here at home.

Reactions: 1plavs
Realistically, the only reason you'd need to have the mobile connector with you is if you intend to plug in at your destination, like a friend's house. I'm going to visit my parents next week and plan to bring my MC with me so I can plug into their 110 outlet in the garage, mainly just to see how much charge I get overnight. Haven't used a 110 yet, as I have the 14-50 outlet here at home.
Not sure on MY, but on my MX, it's about 1% per hour. I took my mc when I took a trip in 2019. It came in handy at my BiL's house, as well as a hotel we stayed at that didn't have a destination charger. It was either pick a hotel that had a charger, or stay at a place that was closer to where we wanted to be.

I took an extension cord that was rated for this, along with a triple tap, in case the only outlet within reach was already in use.

It wasn't fast, but it certainly got us through the trip.

Fwiw, I used the mc on 110v for the last three years, and as long as I was always plugged in, it was fine for the around town stuff.

The only "problem" is that it can never get me to 100% before a trip. So I'd just account for leaving home at 90% and plan charging accordingly.

YMMV, obviously, but bring a good extension cord along w the MC.