Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Nema plug outdoors cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Was wondering if any one is in the same situation, I am in.

I recently had a 14-50 outlet installed outside and I am currently using the mobile charger that comes with the car. So, instead of constantly plugging and unplugging the charger from the outlet, has anyone every just leave the 14-50 adapter plugged in but remove the charger box from the adapter instead? If so, is there a piece you can buy to protect the end where it plugs into the charger box?

Currently waiting for NJ to enact the $500 rebate for a charging unit. Would be silly for me to get a juicebox or tesla charging unit now knowing that it is in the horizon. Than again who knows if it will actually happen.

• Disagree
Reactions: user212_nr
I had a 14-50 installed on my outside garage wall and realized I didn't want to be plugging and unplugging it - like you said. I'm not aware of a cap or anything, but swapped over to a wall connector since it's weather resistant and I'm in the northeast where it gets really messy/window/rainy/snowy.

Here's my Cape Cod setup. Been working great for a year. Cord plugged in all the time.

Rich

Newly installed.
1vXHnb5.jpg

Highly sophisticated cord and plug holder (garden hose holder).
7JSk2bZ.jpg

System works great!
RTB5oyV.jpg

Currently waiting for NJ to enact the $500 rebate for a charging unit. Would be silly for me to get a juicebox or tesla charging unit now knowing that it is in the horizon. Than again who knows if it will actually happen.

What makes you think that NJ is offering a home charging incentive program on the horizon? A quick search shows that they passed authorization back in 2018 and have yet to develop the program.

What makes you think that NJ is offering a home charging incentive program on the horizon? A quick search shows that they passed authorization back in 2018 and have yet to develop the program.

Merely just hopes, if not no big deal I can just live with the outlet. I remember when filling out the rebate form, they did ask if I would be interested in more info on the program.

Lowes and Homedepot sell "in use outlet covers" with a clear plastic dome over them. Also, you can buy a NEMA 14-50 outlet box like what RichAZ has under his garden hose box. I recommend getting a Tesla plug socket/hanger from amazon or ebay to stow the plug in. Around my part of the country if you leave a plug out in the open the dirt dobbers will gum it up with red clay in an afternoon.