Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 only charging at 24 Amps [Not using Tesla OEM adapter]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a Nema 14-50 installed with a 50 amp breaker. My 2022 Model Y long range shows it will only charge at 24 Amps, 240V, 6 Kw.
The amperage adjuster is maxed out at 24 Amps.
I had been on a 30 amp 110 volt (RV) charger and got 24 Amps charge there. I see in the User Manual that the car remembers where it charges and the amps are remembered also. Do I have to move?
What now??
Thanks!

• Funny
Reactions: GeezerSquid
Ok, thanks. Can you please post a photo of your 14-50 with the adapter(s) and Universal Mobile Connector attached?

Attachments

• 14-50 adapter.jpg
    14-50 adapter.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
I just found out the problem - It has a 24 AMP chip. Why I don't know.
Thanks. The picture told the story...You have to be careful of the aftermarket stuff sometimes to make sure that it will provide the features that you want...The Tesla adapter available from their website or from a local service center will support the higher level of charging you're looking for.

Upvote 0
Thanks. The picture told the story...You have to be careful of the aftermarket stuff sometimes to make sure that it will provide the features that you want...The Tesla adapter available from their website or from a local service center will support the higher level of charging you're looking for.
Thanks for all the help. I ordered one from Tesla Store - cheaper too! Learned my lesson.

Upvote 0
Wow.
I don't know what UMC is.
Universal Mobile Connector. That is the charging cord.
I bought a Tesla 14-50 adapter. When I was using 30 amps it was a the Tesla 14-50 adapter plugged into a Tesla 30 amp (RV) plug adapter.
This doesn't make any sense, and we can't figure out what you mean. You can't have one Tesla plug adapter plugged into another Tesla plug adapter. That's not possible, so you're not describing something well. But I think I know what's going on here. Tesla doesn't sell a 30 amp RV plug adapter. I think that's a TT-30 outlet you're referring to.
Specifically it shows;

21 Mi/h 24/24 239V or
6kW +1 kWh 24/24 239V
Huh, well a TT-30 should be 120V and 30A, but this is 240V. So maybe this is a really incorrect installation of a TT-30, or a 14-30?
Is this what you want?
That is definitely an aftermarket adapter, which was what made me think it was a TT-30, since Tesla doesn't sell those and you would have to get it elsewhere. Can you unplug that and take a picture of just what the outlet is, so we can see what it is? If it's a 14-50, why aren't you just using your official Tesla 14-50 plug that you said you have?
I just found out the problem - It has a 24 AMP chip. Why I don't know.
If it's an aftermarket adapter for a 30A outlet type, it must have that signaling for a 24A limit. I am fairly certain that is what's going on here.
You have to be careful of the aftermarket stuff sometimes to make sure that it will provide the features that you want...The Tesla adapter available from their website or from a local service center will support the higher level of charging you're looking for.
I doubt it. We still haven't seen a picture of the outlet this is plugged into, so I still don't believe this is actually a 14-50 outlet. The aftermarket adapter he's using is built to limit it to 24A on purpose. That almost certainly means this is not a 14-50 plug. It's probably a TT-30 (wired wrong) or a 14-30. I've seen a lot of people on this forum mix up 14-30 and 14-50 frequently. 14-30 would make more sense, since the car says it's seeing 240V.
Thanks for all the help. I ordered one from Tesla Store - cheaper too! Learned my lesson.
I don't think you've learned the lesson yet, because I think you've gotten bad diagnosis advice so far. Whatever you ordered probably isn't going to do anything for you. If you have that plug that fits that outlet and is limiting it to 24A, it's probably because it's really a 30A outlet type, and you do have the right plug, and you really can't get any more than 24A from it.

Upvote 0