Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 or 14-30 as a backup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am new to Tesla world and also new here on this forum. I tried to get the answer to my questions and I did found something but I didn't quite understand what I found (so confusing especially when people answering by asking questions), here it is...
My wife bought 2021 Model Y, we installed wall connector and that is all fine but what about when I travel...

1. I would like to have a backup basic 220/240 plus option if let's say I am on vacation renting a house/cottage. I see Tesla sells both 14-30 and 14-50 adapters but not sure which one I should get to be safe (fire, etc.) as many houses have dryer connection 30 amps and not sure if most of them have 50 amp circuits. Should I buy 14-50 from Tesla and get adapter 14-50 to 14-30 from amazon or should I go straight with 14-30 from Tesla?

2. Related to the above question, if the answer is to get 14-30 adapter from Tesla can I use it with 50ft or 100ft extension cord rated 50 amps (note that adapter in this case is 30 amps)? This is in case I have to run the cord from laundry room to outside.

3.. When going on a road trip through Canada and US I would like to have an extra option to fast charge my Model Y other than at Superchargers. I see they sell Chademo which is very expensive and there is no CCS adapter available in North America at all. What options, plugs, adapters, are there to use Non-Tesla Chargers at other fast charging networks?

Any idea/suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you,
djenka

Reactions: goldengate
Tesla's 14-30 adapter will enable your UMC (mobile cable) to safely limit the amps to the appropriate level. Non-Tesla adapters such as from Amazon will not do this. Nema 14-50 outlets are not mainly for EVs. They are installed in many (most?) residences for electric cook stoves and often for high-capacity dryers as well. You should get both adapters from Tesla.

Do not use an extension cord, especially with a 240v outlet (14-50 or 14-30). Tesla strongly advises against it for good reason. You would need at least 8 awg wires and even then it wouldn't be very safe. Smaller wires such as 10 or 12 awg on a 14-30 circuit would most likely melt something or start a fire. I've seen people use 10 awg extension cords for 15A charging (usually on 120v) but it's not reliably safe and Tesla recommends against it.

As for non-Tesla fast charging, I suspect you'll have to wait until Tesla develops a CCS adapter. Maybe a 3rd party will develop one? I don't know anybody who would want one other than you. Superchargers are more prevalent, far more reliable and usually more powerful.

And my last piece of advice, please don't start charging threads under the "Tesla, Inc." forum. Hopefully the mods will move it for you.

Reactions: goldengate
Yes, Tesla does say not to use an extension cable.

But back before superchargers were not so available as they are now, a lot of people here have used the 15' 14-50 extension cable I linked below without any problems or concerns. It's 8 gauge wire and rated for 50 amps. But 15' doesn't get you very far. Also realize that this cable is very heavy. The specs say 12 pounds, but I can assure you it's much heavier than that.

Looks like they now make a 50' version specifically for EVs: Camco 55445 Heavy Duty 50 Amp Outdoor Flexible Power Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handles for Electric Vehicles and RVs, 50 Foot

When I first got my 2013 P85+, I was super nervous about being able to charge on road trips. So I put together several L2 14-50 adapters for the UMC (14-30, 6-50, 10-30) and carried them and the 15' extension cable above around in my car for years. Even back then when there were so few superchargers around here (Newark, DE and a few in CT), I never once had to use the extension cord. I used the 6-50 adapter once at a friends house on a farm in NH, and the 10-30 once at my brother's house in FL. But that was years ago and haven't touched them since now that superchargers are almost everywhere. All my adapters have been sitting in a crate in my garage along with the extension cable for the last few years since. I'll probably never need them again.

Finally, if you're on vacation renting a house or cottage, don't overlook 120v charging at either 12 or 16 amps. Sure, it's not fast, but if you're not going anywhere, you can charge at least 70 miles a day on 12 amps on a regular 5-15 outlet.

When going on a road trip through Canada and US I would like to have an extra option to fast charge my Model Y other than at Superchargers.
The superchargers are by far the best option. However, on a road trip, many RV campgrounds have 14-50 or 14-30 plugs in addition to the usual 120v/15A circuits. If you want to camp in your Y, you can save the cost of the hotel/motel and charge your car throughout the night, saving a SC stop. You have both camp mode and dog mode available. Both will keep the car at a desired temperature. Other than the picture of the screen, camp mode, I believe turns off sentry mode and lock on walk away mode. Dog mode does not.

Between Supercharging and the J1772 adapter that came with the car for L2, a lot of bases are covered. Depending on where you are driving in Canada, the CHAdeMO adapter may be very useful. There is the third party SETEC CCS adapter available - so far with mixed results. Tesla is supposed to be coming out with their own soon.

As far as adapters for the UMC go, again it depends on where you are going. I think a 5-20 adapter is handy - because one often finds them in hotel/motel parking lots (e.g., where ICE car drivers plug in their engine block heaters). It gives an extra couple MPH of overnight charging compared to the 5-15.

Clothes dryers will typically use 10-30 (older homes) or 14-30 (newer homes). Tesla offers UMC adapters for both.

Additionally, 14-50 and TT-30 (Travel Trailer 120V, 30A) are commonly used in RV campgrounds and other RV parking places. This is why so many use 14-50 for their EVs. RV campgrounds are everywhere, and have proven quite useful to the EV road trip pioneers - especially prior to widespread Supercharger coverage. Tesla doesn't offer a TT-30 adapter, but evseadapters does.

Between Supercharging and the J1772 adapter that came with the car for L2, a lot of bases are covered. Depending on where you are driving in Canada, the CHAdeMO adapter may be very useful. There is the third party SETEC CCS adapter available - so far with mixed results. Tesla is supposed to be coming out with their own soon.

As far as adapters for the UMC go, again it depends on where you are going. I think a 5-20 adapter is handy - because one often finds them in hotel/motel parking lots (e.g., where ICE car drivers plug in their engine block heaters). It gives an extra couple MPH of overnight charging compared to the 5-15.

Clothes dryers will typically use 10-30 (older homes) or 14-30 (newer homes). Tesla offers UMC adapters for both.

Additionally, 14-50 and TT-30 (Travel Trailer 120V, 30A) are commonly used in RV campgrounds and other RV parking places. This is why so many use 14-50 for their EVs. RV campgrounds are everywhere, and have proven quite useful to the EV road trip pioneers - especially prior to widespread Supercharger coverage. Tesla doesn't offer a TT-30 adapter, but evseadapters does.
I see evseadapters.com has a CCS adapter now. NEW! CCS-1 Fast Charger Adapter for Tesla – EVSE Adapters

I think maybe it just now came out, because I was looking for reviews here on the forums, and my search didn't find any mention of it. It's wicked expensive, but if I were taking a long tour of the Cali-Nevada-Utah national parks right now I'd definitely spring for it. Zero superchargers between Lake Tahoe and Great Basin, unless you go several hundred miles out of your way, but plenty of CCS stations. Most of which also have a Chademo plug, but with Chademo basically done in the US I don't really want to spend 400 bucks on that adapter.

I see evseadapters.com has a CCS adapter now. NEW! CCS-1 Fast Charger Adapter for Tesla – EVSE Adapters

I think maybe it just now came out, because I was looking for reviews here on the forums, and my search didn't find any mention of it. It's wicked expensive, but if I were taking a long tour of the Cali-Nevada-Utah national parks right now I'd definitely spring for it. Zero superchargers between Lake Tahoe and Great Basin, unless you go several hundred miles out of your way, but plenty of CCS stations. Most of which also have a Chademo plug, but with Chademo basically done in the US I don't really want to spend 400 bucks on that adapter.

They are reselling the SETEC adapter. Thread here: Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Sorry I was crazy busy and so I couldn't reply earlier.
Thank you all guys for such detailed explanations and opinions, very nice and useful for other readers!!!

Tesla's 14-30 adapter will enable your UMC (mobile cable) to safely limit the amps to the appropriate level. Non-Tesla adapters such as from Amazon will not do this.
Oh OK so it watches what it pulls even if I forget to manually set the amperage in the car! That's what I need 👍

As for non-Tesla fast charging, I suspect you'll have to wait until Tesla develops a CCS adapter. Maybe a 3rd party will develop one? I don't know anybody who would want one other than you.
I am not sure if I would trust third party makers. I believe I am not the only one who would like to have peace of mind especially especially when driving through unknown areas at night.

All my adapters have been sitting in a crate in my garage along with the extension cable for the last few years since. I'll probably never need them again.
I totally understand you and I hope I never need them but I'd feel better if I have them in my car.

I am not driving much on the side roads in Canada, mainly HWYs and I can control it (most of the time) but when I cross to the US then I don't want to end up somewhere nobody would want to end up. Having an option of charging somewhere earlier even at 50% battery at Non-Tesla rather than waiting for recommended Supercharger at 2am is beneficial for me. Guys don't get offended but we Canadians are little more careful when driving through US at night, I had bad experience so I'd try to avoid it from happening again :)

NEMA 14-50 is a standard stove plug. And it can be used for welders or RV's.
Campgrounds sound good and safe.

Thanks but the reason I wanted to get CCS is because Chademo is expensive, now this thing is even more expensive than Chademo. Is that reputable CCS company/seller? Would you guys trust 3rd party products? (I mean over 400V, hmm).

Most of which also have a Chademo plug, but with Chademo basically done in the US I don't really want to spend 400 bucks on that adapter.
Why do you thing Chademo is done? Is it dying?

They are reselling the SETEC adapter. Thread here: Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter
I see this one is cheaper than the previous one ($799). Is this the Chinese product?

I was reading that Tesla is going to release their CCS but it's been long time and nothing happened yet.

Campgrounds will likely have one of the 14-50 or 14-30 adapters. As I understand, the 14-50 is for 50-amp circuits (breakers) and the 14-30 for ... wait for it ... 30 Amps.

The portable chargers that comes with the model 3 (and I assume still does with the 3 or Y?) is limited to 240V 32Amps even if the 14-50 plug is used (charges 47km/hr). I used that for several months with a plug in my garage to charge my 3 until I got a wall charger. Also as I understand, the proper Tesla adapter - the plug piece from the portable charger to the plug - tells the charger the upper limit of the current it can draw- 80% of breaker, so on a 14-30 that will be 240V 24Amps. You don't want to draw more than the circuit is rated for - best case, it pops the breaker over and over. Worst case, you need a new garage and car. And house.

I'm told the internal circuitry in the Model 3 will only charge 240V at 40A anyway. (32A for SR+?) For higher charging amps you need a supercharger, 450VDC.

And if you get the standard household plug, it will draw 120V 12 Amps on a 15-amp circuit, charge about 5km/hr - an absolute emergency stop-gap probably worth the $35 to know you have it and never have to use it) Back in 2018 the Model 3 came with the portable charger, a 14-50 plug and a standard 15A 120V plug. Also a J1772 adapter.

There are mainly two different 30A dryer outlets depending on the age of the house. Also some houses don’t have. My house has gas dryer with only the standard outlet for the basic electrics. No 30A in my house.

Range is the gas option only. Only standard outlet for basic range electronics.
You can get by with 2 or 3 outlets. But the whole kit from Tesla is really not expensive at all.

Campgrounds will likely have one of the 14-50 or 14-30 adapters. As I understand, the 14-50 is for 50-amp circuits (breakers) and the 14-30 for ... wait for it ... 30 Amps.

The portable chargers that comes with the model 3 (and I assume still does with the 3 or Y?) is limited to 240V 32Amps even if the 14-50 plug is used (charges 47km/hr). I used that for several months with a plug in my garage to charge my 3 until I got a wall charger. Also as I understand, the proper Tesla adapter - the plug piece from the portable charger to the plug - tells the charger the upper limit of the current it can draw- 80% of breaker, so on a 14-30 that will be 240V 24Amps. You don't want to draw more than the circuit is rated for - best case, it pops the breaker over and over. Worst case, you need a new garage and car. And house.

I'm told the internal circuitry in the Model 3 will only charge 240V at 40A anyway. (32A for SR+?) For higher charging amps you need a supercharger, 450VDC.

And if you get the standard household plug, it will draw 120V 12 Amps on a 15-amp circuit, charge about 5km/hr - an absolute emergency stop-gap probably worth the $35 to know you have it and never have to use it) Back in 2018 the Model 3 came with the portable charger, a 14-50 plug and a standard 15A 120V plug. Also a J1772 adapter.

The "30 amp" receptacles at North American campgrounds are TT-30 (Travel Trailer 30 amp) - not 14-30. They are also 120V, not 120/240 as a 14-30 is. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't make a TT-30 adapter, but evseadapters does.

Max charging amperage on Model 3 LR is 48 amps.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau