Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 outlet and 40' distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Wall Connectors will do up to 48A,
This part is true. It is a possible capability.
and need larger diameter wiring (4AWG) and a 60A breaker instead of 50A.
This part is not true.

The wall connectors are variable configuration devices. They are designed to be installed on various levels of circuits. If you are installing it on a 30A circuit, it does not "need" or require using thicker gauge wire than a 14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit.

A Lamborghini has the capability of going at a higher speed than a Corolla. That does not mean it must always be driven that way.

I have my 14-50 on the left wall next to the breaker box... I used bungie cords to suspend the cable over the tops of the cars... When I do this, the charger can reach my car parked in the middle stall. So without any extension cords, I can reach the adjacent two cars from the charger. IF you need to traverse further than that, you'll either need to move the outlet, or use a 50A RV extension cord.

Finally decided to pony up for the Tesla wall charger on the Tesla website.
Installer is charging $800 for labor and parts for the install. It's about 35 feet from the breaker box. Location gives me an option to park the car on either side of the garage and still be able to charge.