Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 outlet and 40' distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JDL@h

MYP/White/Blk TX OD: 9/27 EDD:4/20 vin: F417
Sep 29, 2021
houston
Hi guys, wiring the garage for the impending Model Y. we have a side by side 3 car garage. I am planning to install a 14-50 50 amp outlet on the right garage wall next to the breaker box. If I park the Tesla next to it, I can charge using the mobile charger without using any extension cord. But lets say I park the Tesla on the far left side of the 3 car garage, I am calculating I would need to go about 40' to connect it. So would buying a 30' extension cable like the Camco (linked below) be ok?

In short, don't do that for regular home charging. (The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector charging cord is only about 18 feet in length, 20 ft if you count the plug and Mobile Connector chassis.)

Consider installing the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector instead. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector has a 24 foot charging cord. If you install the Wall Connector at the front of the garage the charging cord should be able to reach the charging port on the Tesla vehicle (located at the rear corner of the driver's side) from at least two of the three parking spots. In the future if you add a second Tesla vehicle you can install a second Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector on the far side of the garage and use automatic load balancing to share the 50A charging circuit. (Load balancing with the Gen3 Wall Connector requires a Wi-Fi network.) The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired. You would not need to purchase a NEMA 14-50 receptacle (a good quality 14-50R can cost near $100) or install a 50A GFCI circuit breaker (also costs $100). A standard 50A double pole 250V rated circuit breaker costs under $20. The Wall Connector does not use the neutral wire so instead of 6/3 wire you could install 6/2 wire for a 50A circuit, would cost a bit less.

Last edited:
I can't tell if you have 3 separate doors or a large+small door, but if you have enough room between your doors, you should look into installing the outlet or charger there. It's a convenient spot to have it at the back of the garage to prevent tripping over the cord and it can easily reach all 3 spots in the garage. The space between the rails in the below pic is 15 3/4". I built the plywood wings to keep the cord contained within.

IMG_5383.jpeg

I can't tell if you have 3 separate doors or a large+small door, but if you have enough room between your doors, you should look into installing the outlet or charger there. It's a convenient spot to have it at the back of the garage to prevent tripping over the cord and it can easily reach all 3 spots in the garage. The space between the rails in the below pic is 15 3/4". I built the plywood wings to keep the cord contained within.

View attachment 783078
It's 1 large door and 1 small door. I can definitely hang the gen 3 Wall charger there in the middle and with a 24' foot cable.can access both sides. I was hoping to avoid the additional charges involved, but I do understand its a one time charge.

Also the electrician is quoting $350 plus $10/ft cable for 14-50 50 amp, While quoting $600 plus $10/ft cable for installing the Tesla charger. I supply the charger. I don't understand why he is asking $250 more for installing the charger.

In short, don't do that for regular home charging. (The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector charging cord is only about 18 feet in length, 20 ft if you count the plug and Mobile Connector chassis.)

Consider installing the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector instead. The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector has a 24 foot charging cord. If you install the Wall Connector at the front of the garage the charging cord should be able to reach the charging port on the Tesla vehicle (located at the rear corner of the driver's side) from at least two of the three parking spots. In the future if you add a second Tesla vehicle you can install a second Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector on the far side of the garage and use automatic load balancing to share the 50A charging circuit. (Load balancing with the Gen3 Wall Connector requires a Wi-Fi network.) The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired. You would not need to purchase a NEMA 14-50 receptacle (a good quality 14-50R can cost near $100) or install a 50A GFCI circuit breaker (also costs $100). A standard 50A double pole 250V rated circuit breaker costs under $20. The Wall Connector does not use the neutral wire so instead of 6/3 wire you could install 6/2 wire for a 50A circuit, would cost a bit less.
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I was hoping to go with a low cost solution, but I should just pony up the one time charges.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I was hoping to go with a low cost solution, but I should just pony up the one time charges.
Check with your local electric utility. You may be able to qualify for a rebate if you install a Level 2 EVSE (perhaps not the Tesla Wall Connector.) You can use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter to charge using any Level 1 or Level 2 EVSE with a J1772 charging connector. (I do this regularly.)

It's 1 large door and 1 small door. I can definitely hang the gen 3 Wall charger there in the middle and with a 24' foot cable.can access both sides. I was hoping to avoid the additional charges involved, but I do understand its a one time charge.

Also the electrician is quoting $350 plus $10/ft cable for 14-50 50 amp, While quoting $600 plus $10/ft cable for installing the Tesla charger. I supply the charger. I don't understand why he is asking $250 more for installing the charger.

He's probably charging more for the Wall Connector installation because it involves additional work. There are additional configuration steps that need to be taken as well as some additional mounting work that wouldn't be involved with a 14-50 receptacle. Is he factoring in the additional cost of conduit?

All in all, I don't think his price difference is too outrageous. I definitely think you'll be more satisfied with a Wall Connector mounted between the garage doors than you will be with a 14-50 receptacle on one side of the garage.

Reactions: JDL@h

The Tesla Wall Connectors will do up to 48A, and need larger diameter wiring (4AWG) and a 60A breaker instead of 50A. You will only get 40A out of a NEMA 14-50 (80% rule for continuous loads) and so you can use both a smaller breaker and smaller wiring.

Why not?

I was thinking about using a 240v extension cord at my friend's vacation condo; installing a wall charger is not an option
You are describing using a 240V extension cord as a temporary solution. What type, a 30A dryer circuit or something else? Extension cords for 240V and 50A are usually not very long and are expensive.

Anytime you add an extension cord you are adding 2 additional interconnects, potential points of failure that could overheat and start a fire. The electrical outlet that the extension cord is being plugged into may not be protected by a GFCI. You run a risk of being electrocuted every time you plug and unplug the extension cord with 30 or 50 amps passing through the circuit.

You are describing using a 240V extension cord as a temporary solution. What type, a 30A dryer circuit or something else? Extension cords for 240V and 50A are usually not very long and are expensive.

Anytime you add an extension cord you are adding 2 additional interconnects, potential points of failure that could overheat and start a fire. The electrical outlet that the extension cord is being plugged into may not be protected by a GFCI. You run a risk of being electrocuted every time you plug and unplug the extension cord with 30 or 50 amps passing through the circuit.

That's a little dramatic 🙄 Extension cords are used all the time with no issues. I'm not worried about being electrocuted 🤣🤣🤣

I don't mind paying for one if it means I can charge when I visit my friends. Seems worth the cost to me

If its rated for EV charging, its required to already have a GFCI breaker.

I see no problems with an RV 50A extension. Especially ones rated for multiple AC units, fridge(s), inverters, TVs etc.

Check it a couple times on the initial charge every hour to make sure it doesn't get hot, and spot check it every month or so after. If it gets hot, bring the max Amps down a few.

I personally use a 50A Y splitter at my vacation property, and it shares power with my travel trailer. Ive had no problems with electrocuting myself or failed outlets/connections... and somehow my trailer hasnt burned down. I've put a 30' extension on my "wish list" to make it easier to park/charge.

If its rated for EV charging, its required to already have a GFCI breaker.

I see no problems with an RV 50A extension. Especially ones rated for multiple AC units, fridge(s), inverters, TVs etc.
That's not always the case. 30A dryer outlets such as 10-30 or 14-30 typically are not required to have GFCI protection. 14-50 outlets for RV use don't have GFCI protection as the RV is considered a distribution panel.

The appliances you list cycle on and off or are low power. Charging an EV is a high current continuous load for the circuit. Heat build up over prolonged use is a real issue.

It is great that you have not had any issues but the bottom line is extension cords should only be considered as a temporary solution when charging an EV.

The splitter may be a code violation as any circuit that is installed for charging an EV must be dedicated, can't have multiple receptacles.

A smart splitter such as a Dryer Buddy or NeoCharge would enable powering one piece of equipment or the other but not both at the same time.

That's not always the case. 30A dryer outlets such as 10-30 or 14-30 typically are not required to have GFCI protection. 14-50 outlets for RV use don't have GFCI protection as the RV is considered a distribution panel.

The appliances you list cycle on and off or are low power. Charging an EV is a high current continuous load for the circuit. Heat build up over prolonged use is a real issue.

It is great that you have not had any issues but the bottom line is extension cords should only be considered as a temporary solution when charging an EV.

The splitter may be a code violation as any circuit that is installed for charging an EV must be dedicated, can't have multiple receptacles.

A smart splitter such as a Dryer Buddy or NeoCharge would enable powering one piece of equipment or the other but not both at the same time.
By "it" I was inferring OP's planned 14-50A solution/predicament. If installed per code for EV, "it" would be required to have a GFCI breaker, making the extension safe(r) if precautions are taken.

As more people camp/charge in their Teslas at RV camp sites, I'm sure code will change to require them to be GFCI if issues do happen. EV camping is already trending. However, 99% of the time those breakers arent getting thrashed like a dedicated at home charger.

My guess is, we'll see code updated as more trailers like the EStream hit campsites.